Thread: Somebody Lost a Flinch at the Range...

Site Supporter

Somebody Lost a Flinch at the Range...

...and I picked it up.

I dug out my S&W M681-2 that had been through the S&W Performance Center about ten years ago and was worked on by Vito, one of the old guys. The DA isn't super light but is super smooth. I took it to the range with my .357 158-grain handloads that run about 1100 fps. The first few cylinders full were fine (B-8 at ten yards) but then holes started appearing below the black. I stopped for a while and fussed at myself, and then remembered something that Darryl Bolke talked about - load the cylinder, shoot one round, spin the cylinder and press the trigger until the gun goes bang, repeat until the cylinder is empty. No more holes outside the black. Imagine that.

I actually did this exact thing at the range with my 442 not long ago, to the tune of 25 rounds fired. I was having a bad day with the low-left and snatchies, and it helped break it. I didn't have to "fire" five shots on every cylinder to get a *bang*... but I think I got about 75 good solid DA trigger strokes in. Amazingly enough, towards the end, most of the wadcutters were going through the same ragged hole at 7 yards. Your brain is not wired to ignore explosions in your hand, and it takes a bit to overcome that.

Similar stuff has worked for me with autoloaders but is easier with a revolver to surprise yourself. Oddly in my recent dabblings with .40, the 229 has so far not induced a flinch. I’m ready for it, though.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Similar stuff has worked for me with autoloaders but is easier with a revolver to surprise yourself. Oddly in my recent dabblings with .40, the 229 has so far not induced a flinch. I’m ready for it, though.
    I'd like to hear more about the similar stuff with autoloaders. With a normal amount of mags and snap caps loaded by me I can't surprise myself well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I'd like to hear more about the similar stuff with autoloaders. With a normal amount of mags and snap caps loaded by me I can't surprise myself well enough.
    I picked it up from sig academy videos. I simply remove the magazine. Enough reps is as effective as a ball and dummy drill. I can usually iron out a flinch in a few rounds that way.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    These work good if you can find them. The feed and eject like a regular round. Just mix a few in each mag at random intervals or better yet have a friend do it for you. Clearance drills are a bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/Saf-T-Trainer.../dp/B00HAPOOQ4

I do this from time to time and load 4 empties and 1 live in my j frames. If I only load one round I catch myself checking the back of the cylinder to see if its loaded or not as it rotates.

If you take a basic pistol class from Larry Mudgett (look him up) 85% of your trigger presses in a two day class will be on a snap cap.

There is good reason for this. And it’s one reason why his students tend not to develop a flinch in the long run.

(And I’m sure most people here know the difference between an actual flinch, and a pre-ignition push).

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ...and I picked it up.

I dug out my S&W M681-2 that had been through the S&W Performance Center about ten years ago and was worked on by Vito, one of the old guys. The DA isn't super light but is super smooth. I took it to the range with my .357 158-grain handloads that run about 1100 fps. The first few cylinders full were fine (B-8 at ten yards) but then holes started appearing below the black. I stopped for a while and fussed at myself, and then remembered something that Darryl Bolke talked about - load the cylinder, shoot one round, spin the cylinder and press the trigger until the gun goes bang, repeat until the cylinder is empty. No more holes outside the black. Imagine that.
    Just to give attribution where attribution is due, Claude Werner originated this drill and Daryl speed it far and wide. I’m glad he took the time to advertise it as it’s become one of my favorite drills when I make it to the range.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Just to give attribution where attribution is due, Claude Werner originated this drill and Daryl speed it far and wide. I’m glad he took the time to advertise it as it’s become one of my favorite drills when I make it to the range.
    With respect to those guys, I learned this drill in the academy 29 years ago. It's nothing new..

User Tag List