Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    So a couple things I found out and utilized:

1. SBR from a commercial pistol or rifle donor doesn’t need a new serial number engraved. You use the factory number.
    Seriously?

Then why is engraving such a common part of NFA item ownership?
    Don’t most SBR’s start as commercially made rifles or pistols?

To be clear, I like the idea of NOT having to have my name engraved on a receiver, if this is a legit option.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Seriously?

To be clear, I like the idea of NOT having to have my name engraved on a receiver, if this is a legit option.
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-through-guide

If you have a nonserialized lower you’re the manufacturer and have to engrave info.

If you buy something off the shelf commercially and SBR it you’re the Maker and not manufacturer.

Name:  53DD693E-77FD-4EFB-B030-28F7B9132951.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  54.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-through-guide

If you have a nonserialized lower you’re the manufacturer and have to engrave info.

If you buy something off the shelf commercially and SBR it you’re the Maker and not manufacturer.

Name:  53DD693E-77FD-4EFB-B030-28F7B9132951.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  54.8 KB
    Thanks!

You can re-use the serial number that was engraved when it was a title I firearm, but when it's made into a NFA firearm the maker needs to engrave their name and location the gun was made onto the gun. An SBR that starts out life as an SBR, or a title I firearm that's later turned into an SBR by the initial manufacturer already has the maker's info on the gun and nothing additional needs to be engraved.

Since eForm 1s were available for many years when eForm 4's were not, and eForms took a lot less time to be approved, it's been more popular for people to do eForm 1's. If eForm 4's end up taking roughly the same amount of time, then I imagine eForm 1's will become a little less popular and factory SBRs more popular.

If you don't want to have to have your name engraved on an SBR, either get a factory SBR on a form 4, or form 1 an SBR through a trust or LLC. Then since the trust or LLC is the maker, its name goes on the gun instead of yours.

Okay- so say I have an SBR’d lower.
    It I remove the stock, leaving a bare RE, is it a pistol, for purposes of carry under my CCW, and for crossing state lines?

Which is to say, once the SBR paperwork is done, do I have to ask permission from the ATF to cross state lines with that lower in any configuration, or only if it’s configured as an SBR at the time?
    It depends. What type of firearm was the SBR initially manufactured as? If it was initially manufactured as a pistol, then in your scenario returning it to pistol format means it's temporarily a pistol again, legally speaking, and you don't need an approved 5320.20. You can't return it to SBR form until you return back to your home state.

If it was initially manufactured as a rifle, then taking the stock off doesn't make a difference. It still meets the definition of an SBR. However, you could return it to a title I rifle with a stock and >=16" barrel and cross state lines without an approved 5320.20.

Thanks!
    Looking at the link I posted more carefully, I failed and was wrong.

@CleverNickname is correct as is the info linked.

Correct that you don’t have to engrave a new serial number as the maker but like he said, location and maker name is needed.

I guess I better break out the engraving tool ASAP!
    Last edited by JCN; 03-20-2022 at 10:37 PM.

While my own answer is pretty much apropos only to my state: any semi-auto rifle purchase, by recent law, requires a separate form that gets sent to the state. Pistols are more or less business as usual. That’s why I have a DDPDW .300 and not a DDM4 V7, let alone a MK18. I admit that most states are not so benighted.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The AFT only considers an SBR an SBR when it's in the SBR configuration. If you put a 16 inch barrel on it, then it's not an SBR while it's in that configuration and can cross state lines without approval.

Also, if you are only going to use one upper and not swapping different uppers around, then you can mark the barrel of the upper with the required info instead of the lower.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Okay- so say I have an SBR’d lower.
    It I remove the stock, leaving a bare RE, is it a pistol, for purposes of carry under my CCW, and for crossing state lines?

Which is to say, once the SBR paperwork is done, do I have to ask permission from the ATF to cross state lines with that lower in any configuration, or only if it’s configured as an SBR at the time?

Also - @ASH556
    I’m curious as to the situation where a Form 4 would be used for an SBR.
    A Colt 6933, a Daniel Defense Mk18, or any other situation in which the original configuration from the MFR was an SBR.
    Form 1’s are for making firearms.

My understanding is that as part of the form 1 process, you (or a trust entity, etc) become the MFR and therefore must engrave the firearm with your name, city, and state. Hence, JCN’s comments about RE-using the already engraved SN does not preclude anyone from having to engrave an SBR.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    A Colt 6933, a Daniel Defense Mk18, or any other situation in which the original configuration from the MFR was an SBR.
    Form 1’s are for making firearms.

My understanding is that as part of the form 1 process, you (or a trust entity, etc) become the MFR and therefore must engrave the firearm with your name, city, and state. Hence, JCN’s comments about RE-using the already engraved SN does not preclude anyone from having to engrave an SBR.
    Ah, got it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Also, if you are only going to use one upper and not swapping different uppers around, then you can mark the barrel of the upper with the required info instead of the lower.
    I’ve never heard this before - it would make life a lot easier with ARs.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List