Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Why SBR?
    2. This is mostly state/jurisdiction dependent, but for folks in states like WA with antiquated anti poaching laws that prevent carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle, an AR pistol can be carried loaded the same way you'd carry a loaded handgun with your CPL. I maintain a braced AR pistol with LAW folder for this reason and will continue to do so while it gives me that advantage. If they make braces illegal, I will not be going to a bare buffer tube. That sucks and I'm not interested. I'll form 1 my lower with LAW folder and leave the magazine out of it when in the vehicle.
    For me here in Texas, an SBR makes more sense. There's no laws against loaded rifles in vehicles, and if you want to carry your gun around in public visibly, a pistol has to be holstered whereas a rifle can be slung or otherwise carried in some other method besides a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Yes, that is what I did.
    Thanks! I went out to the garage and engraved all my MPX barrels with name and location. Since serial number is on the lower from the factory, I can mix and match engraved uppers for my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So… I’m seeing the ATF writing on the wall, and thinking that any AR pistols that I have may soon need to have their braces removed.

I like the current “pistol” designation, as it allows me to have one in a bag, in a car, in most states, on the occasions that I find it useful.
    But if braces are… “problematic” come August, I’m entertaining the idea that SBRing one or more or my lowers may be useful.

My biggest concern about doing the Form 1 to SBR is the literal registration. I’d be going on record with the Feds that I own a certain gun - forever.
    I’m also put off by the restrictions for intra-state carry and inter-state travel.

So- to the P-F brethren-

- What motivated you to go the SBR route, or what kept you from doing it?
    - If SBR’d, how do you find the situation? Restrictions on use/travel?
    - if I SBR a lower, can I easily change uppers? Calibers (5.56 to 300 BLK)?
    - Does the process just involve submitting the E-form, and then getting the lower engraved once it’s approved? Or is there more that I’m not aware of?

@GJM
    @ASH556
    @StraitR
    @Clusterfrack
    In my state of residence, I cannot legally conceal and carry an SBR, but braced pistols are covered under my state's concealed weapons permit. I like having a the option to carry a rifle caliber firearm in a backpack if so desired, which is the number one reason I own a braced pistol.

Sorry for the delay.

This is kinda on point, so I’ll bump it up. There was a discussion earlier that touched on this that I can’t find.

Say a person has a SBR. If they remove the buttstock, can it be transported without benefit of a 5320.20?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I don't have a complete answer, but I'm confident the SBR would have to at least have started life as a pistol and been converted to SBR. If it was always an SBR going backward in time, then it is always an SBR going forward in time.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I don't have a complete answer, but I'm confident the SBR would have to at least have started life as a pistol and been converted to SBR. If it was always an SBR going backward in time, then it is always an SBR going forward in time.
    That was actually the scenario.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

SBR is only an SBR if it's "configured as such" - i.e. a firearm with a barrel < 16". Therefore (to use AR15 as an example), if you separate the upper from the lower, you no longer have an SBR. Or if you remove the stock, assuming the lower started its life as a pistol or "other" NOT a rifle.

User Tag List