Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

Site Supporter

Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

So… I’m seeing the ATF writing on the wall, and thinking that any AR pistols that I have may soon need to have their braces removed.

I like the current “pistol” designation, as it allows me to have one in a bag, in a car, in most states, on the occasions that I find it useful.
    But if braces are… “problematic” come August, I’m entertaining the idea that SBRing one or more or my lowers may be useful.

My biggest concern about doing the Form 1 to SBR is the literal registration. I’d be going on record with the Feds that I own a certain gun - forever.
    I’m also put off by the restrictions for intra-state carry and inter-state travel.

So- to the P-F brethren-

- What motivated you to go the SBR route, or what kept you from doing it?
    - If SBR’d, how do you find the situation? Restrictions on use/travel?
    - if I SBR a lower, can I easily change uppers? Calibers (5.56 to 300 BLK)?
    - Does the process just involve submitting the E-form, and then getting the lower engraved once it’s approved? Or is there more that I’m not aware of?

@GJM
    @ASH556
    @StraitR
    @Clusterfrack

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So… I’m seeing the ATF writing on the wall, and thinking that any AR pistols that I have may soon need to have their braces removed.

I like the current “pistol” designation, as it allows me to have one in a bag, in a car, in most states, on the occasions that I find it useful.
    But if braces are… “problematic” come August, I’m entertaining the idea that SBRing one or more or my lowers may be useful.

My biggest concern about doing the Form 1 to SBR is the literal registration. I’d be going on record with the Feds that I own a certain gun - forever.
    I’m also put off by the restrictions for intra-state carry and inter-state travel.

So- to the P-F brethren-

- Does the process just involve submitting the E-form, and then getting the lower engraved once it’s approved? Or is there more that I’m not aware of?

@GJM
    @ASH556
    @StraitR
    @Clusterfrack
    All reasonable concerns. Given a braced pistol vs SBR, I prefer the braced pistol.

What is interesting, is if braces become verboten, do you SBR or run the pistol without a brace. I would probably have both, but travel with the pistol without a brace.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Given a braced pistol vs SBR, I prefer the braced pistol.
    ….I would probably have both, but travel with the pistol without a brace.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

Just wanting to know the implications of SBR that I hadn’t thought of yet.

I’m willing to bet the people that want to know what type of guns you have, already know. I SBR’d and haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’m willing to bet the people that want to know what type of guns you have, already know. I SBR’d and haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, agreed.

It may feel like "conspiracy theories" but its not. The federal law enforcement agencies have a process that uses the 4473 form to easily find what you own if they want to know. Also, don't quote me on it... but as I understand it *this* ATF has been gathering millions of 4473's from FFL's that closed shop. They've apparently been scanning them into PDF's.

OK... question at hand. I have a single no compromise AR pistol. All top shelf gear etc. If I can get to it, it will be the firearm I grab if the door gets kicked in. If it happens in August (which the Federal Register tells us it will) or not. At some point this extraconstitutional "law" will deem my AR pistol illegal with a brace on it.

I've already started the SBR process. Reluctantly......
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

As mentioned, in many states (including mine, OH) the CHL means CHandgunL, so a ready state in something like a van or camper would be a problem with an SBR.

I have mine without a brace, it seems goofy but it is pretty good with a sling.

But it might not be crazy to have both, and just have two lowers and switch to the pistol when the SBR might be a hassle (most of the expensive stuff is attached to the upper).

ETA:

Re: the feds “knowing”…

I was resistant to any NFA items initially for the same reason, and then someone pointed out that if I ever bought a gun on a 4473, there was already a record that I had “a” gun, which would pretty much land me on the list anyway.

Made sense to me and I haven’t worried about any paperwork in the ensuing 20+ years.

I figure if we ever actually got to a point of someone knocking on my door asking for my NFA item, we’re already pretty much screwed anyway.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

So- to the P-F brethren-

@GJM
    @ASH556
    @StraitR
    @Clusterfrack
    Those who want to know what you have, know what you have, unless you bought it face to face..

1. I wanted
    2. doesn't apply in my situation
    3. Didn't apply in my situation. I bought someone else's SBR.

So basically because I wanted one. I don't travel outside of my state unless it work related and usually involves running over picking up a part and then back. Takes an hour maybe 2 round trip, almost all highway and that state is anti gun anyway. I don't have much of an interest in going to other states so traveling with a gun isn't on my list of things to be concerned about but if it were I would simply bring something else.

I have one brace and if some law were to pass I'd sell it. Have no interest doing another SBR and paying another $200. I bought it last March and it's seen 2 mags worth of ammo. So I'm not investing into it, for the sake of ownership, anymore then I already have

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Why choose to SBR vs AR pistol?

@gyro-f16,
    I have some SBR lowers, and use them a lot. My home defense carbine is a 5.56 11.5” suppressed SBR. I also like competing with SBRs at carbine matches sometimes.

But, taking SBRs out of state is a PIA.

Braced pistol lowers as an SBR substitute seem risky legally, and are likely to be illegal soon IMO.

I am intrigued by the tube-only cheek pistol, and built one out of my pistol lower. But, this is going to require practice, and is no substitute for a real stocked carbine at any real distance.

So for me it’s SBR for the win, unless not legal.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I wanted a dedicated MK18 with a proper stock, and didn't feel like messing with a brace.

Easy peasy for me. My FFL/SOT provided fingerprint cards, gratis, and I live in an NFA friendly state. I really only shoot it at one location in VA, so interstate travel isn't a thing, yet.

I don't plan on changing calibers, so can't comment there.

Here's what I did;

*Selected a reliable lower to SBR. In my case, a factory BCM example.
    *Saw my FFL/SOT and got copies of my fingerprint cards and took a digital passport photo.
    *Went to Highflyer Arms in Warrenton, VA and got my lower engraved for $45.
    *Went home, created an account on the DOJ's E-Form website and selected E-Form 1, and completed the application in under 10 minutes. I filed as an Individual. Trusts may take longer. You pay the $200 tax at the end of the application process.
    *Mailed two copies of my fingerprint cards to the BATFE in WV, along with the required forms (you get those when you complete the application)
    *Mailed the requisite notification form to my CLEO- in my case, the county sheriff. No action is required on their part.

My last stamp was approved in 10 days, door to door.

User Tag List