Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canik Rival

Canik Rival

Saw one at the LGS and was super impressed. At a match earlier this week, heard several competitors speaking enthusiastically about them. Bought one to mess with. Took it out of the box with the factory irons sights and shot a perfectly regulated three inch group at 25 yards with it. Will shoot it with an optic next range session.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Smile

JAYsus help me. Here we go again! What's the over-under on how long it takes GJM to get us all fired up about this, then tell us why we wasted our money on it?

Seriously, I'm safe because that looks of that gun make it a pass for me, but I will be interested to hear what you think this does for you that a G34 or X5 doesn't.

I am not sure it does anything better, but it is a $650 pistol you can take out of the box and compete with. I had never owned a Canik before. They seem to keep improving their products and have a loyal following. Plus, people love Nils.

Here is a review.

I have had two range sessions with the Rival, since mounting an SRO. Here are some thoughts.

Accuracy is excellent, on par with a Gen 5 Glock with good ammo. Significantly more accurate than a 320. The stock trigger is excellent, feels in shape like an Apex FSS. Very short positive reset that almost throws your finger forward. Magazine and mag well shape make for good reloads. Forward serrations are excellent. For iron sight shooters, it comes with a Dawson looking front FO and an adjustable rear. Optics mounting system seems well thought out. No malfunctions. For now, it fits in a Comp TAC International for the PDP 4.5. After bench marking it with my AXG 320, I like it enough I bought a second one. They are dirt cheap for a pistol ready to go out of the box.

Site Supporter
    I seem to recall @P.E. Kelley having a video with a few Caniks and they seemed to do fine.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have had two range sessions with the Rival, since mounting an SRO. Here are some thoughts.

Accuracy is excellent, on par with a Gen 5 Glock with good ammo. Significantly more accurate than a 320. The stock trigger is excellent, feels in shape like an Apex FSS. Very short positive reset that almost throws your finger forward. Magazine and mag well shape make for good reloads. Forward serrations are excellent. For iron sight shooters, it comes with a Dawson looking front FO and an adjustable rear. Optics mounting system seems well thought out. No malfunctions. For now, it fits in a Comp TAC International for the PDP 4.5. After bench marking it with my AXG 320, I like it enough I bought a second one. They are dirt cheap for a pistol ready to go out of the box.
    Is that considered an "OFM magwell" and illegal for production and CO?

No OFM or aftermarket external magwells.
    Internal
    magwell dimensions may be increased.
    Aftermarket external flaring is prohibited.
    Markings inside the magwell are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Is that considered an "OFM magwell" and illegal for production and CO?

No OFM or aftermarket external magwells.
    Internal
    magwell dimensions may be increased.
    Aftermarket external flaring is prohibited.
    Markings inside the magwell are allowed.
    There is a removable external mag well, that would be illegal for CO/Production, but the mag well opening without the external removable mag well is still generous and well shaped.

Awesome, excited to hear your thoughts as you continue to shoot it.

My Caniks have all been great. All of them have been very reliable and just an unbeatable value. I personally see no reason for me to swap out my TP9SFX w/Freedomsmith trigger for a Rival, but if I were starting over, I definitely would choose the Rival. Someone can buy a Rival, a couple of extra mags, pick up some mag pouches, belt, use the new stock holster the Rival comes with, and have a gun they can make GM with for like $800 bucks total.

Talking guns with an Uncle, he showed me a picture of one of these and told me one of his friends bought it. Cheaper than a Glock, and just as good was the description.

I think I eye rolled. Maybe that was in haste, but I have a hard time believing in another Glock killer.

This is, ultimately, what your money is supporting when you buy Turkish arms products:

https://ctc.usma.edu/a-deeper-look-a...ity-in-turkey/
    https://providencemag.com/2018/01/tu...-syrian-kurds/
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...X.2015.1119544 " Jihadist Highway to Jihadist Haven: Turkey's Jihadi Policies and Western Security"

User Tag List