Thread: I Would Appreciate Some Help Adjusting My Hornady LNL Press

I Would Appreciate Some Help Adjusting My Hornady LNL Press

I’ve had the press for over a year and have had it running smoothly…..at over10K rounds with only minor adjustments.

Now on the upstroke the primer does not go up enough and consequently the primer does not seat.

I am NOT an adept mechanic in any way, and struggle at times with “how things work.”

I’ve been through the manual and watched several videos and am still not clear on what I need to do.

Is this a matter of adjusting the pawls? Or the primer seater punch? Or something else??

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Over time, the primer punch can wear a divot into the press frame, causing the primers to not fully seat. Some users have had success using epoxy to fasten a razor blade or other thin piece of hard steel in that spot to cover the divot and provide a hard seating surface for the punch. Mine does not have enough wear to cause problems yet, so I have not done this myself.

Call Hornady....they have always been excellent with service and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Over time, the primer punch can wear a divot into the press frame, causing the primers to not fully seat. Some users have had success using epoxy to fasten a razor blade or other thin piece of hard steel in that spot to cover the divot and provide a hard seating surface for the punch. Mine does not have enough wear to cause problems yet, so I have not done this myself.
    ^^^This^^^^

I took an old plane iron (the blade from a wood plane) and taped in the spot.

They could charge $20 more for the press and give it a hardened steel insert instead of forcing customers to kluge solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    . . . over10K rounds with only minor adjustments.
    I just got done talking with one of the guys at a local USPSA match. He's loaded over 100K rounds on his, in 9, .40, and .45. He also reported that right at about 10K rounds is where he noticed a problem seating primers. He put a steel washer in place to fix the problem. He recommended just starting out with a piece of steel there when setting up my press.

THANKS

Thanks for all the feedback…..I appreciate it.

I know what you’re talking about re the “divot”….but that apparently isn’t my problem…..yet.

I called Hornady customer service this morning. I had already disassembled and reassembled the priming system and he talked me through adjusting the pawls properly.

All fixed and up and running!

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List