Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experiences with the Expo Arms uppers that Primary Arms puts out?

Anyone have experiences with the Expo Arms uppers that Primary Arms puts out?

Primary Arms is now selling complete uppers in their Expo Arms line. The components are all supposedly well sourced and US-made; Mega makes their forged receivers, Rosco barrels, Microbest BCGs etc.
    I have a few of the Expo parts in my not-a-6720.

They just started selling complete uppers and I wondered if anyone knew about how well they were assembled, whether gas blocks were pinned or screwed, small parts quality, that sort of thing.
    (I'm thinking of the caveats offered when anyone talks about Aero Precision uppers or complete rifles.)

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arm...5km-brake-10-3

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arm...ash-hider-16in
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Primary Arms is now selling complete uppers in their Expo Arms line. The components are all supposedly well sourced and US-made; Mega makes their forged receivers, Rosco barrels, Microbest BCGs etc.

They just started selling complete uppers and I wondered if anyone knew about how well they were assembled, whether gas blocks were pinned or screwed, small parts quality, that sort of thing.
    (I'm thinking of the caveats offered when anyone talks about Aero Precision uppers or complete rifles.)

That 10.3 with Crane spec gas port is tempting.

I can't say I've heard anything bad about Expo Arms stuff, but I haven't really heard of anyone giving them a real shakeout either.

Also, their combat series handguards are CMT and a great buy for the price.

They're made in house by their own armorers. The parts are made by various OEM's but they sent some of their guys out for training and are now doing their own assembly. I know and shoot with some current and former employees.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    They're made in house by their own armorers. The parts are made by various OEM's but they sent some of their guys out for training and are now doing their own assembly. I know and shoot with some current and former employees.

OK, good to know. My thought was that it might be a good source to help build known-good carbines or "pistols" for folks who are starting out or just want something better appointed than S&W Sport IIs for similar do$h.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

OK, good to know. My thought was that it might be a good source to help build known-good carbines or "pistols" for folks who are starting out or just want something better appointed than S&W Sport IIs for similar do$h.
    I have one of their BCG's and was looking at a barrel until these uppers came out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one to try out.

I am wondering why their combat variant is only in 10.3 and the 11.5 is a lesser patrol variant. Hopefully each barrel length has both options.

If they released a 12.5 combat with SOCOM or some other non-govt profile barrel and a gas port at .70 or below, I’d buy it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

First thing, the rail is suspect to me, it has a similar description and material list as the $65.00 ones I put on my .22 PCC and builds I don't intend to keep. Like this: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mat...ot-mlok-15.htm (Although someone on the third shitter down told me that CMT was their source for these)

The upper receiver is arguably just as important to repeatability and accuracy as is the barrel. If you think a Aero Precision upper is suspect, then why would you even consider an upper using an Aero Upper? Note: I'm in the camp that understands that Aero is an OEM Mfg and think they are GTG - according to ATF they manufactured at least 143,000 receivers in 2020). I've built couple rifles using Aero receiver sets, in 5.56 and .308, I don't see any problems with them, so as far as I'm concerned, like I said, they are GTG.

Anyhow, the Roscoe barrel is a high quality from what I've experienced, I have a 13.7" stainless and it is definitely an accurate barrel.

Here's a retail cost breakdown:

Aero upper: $94.00 (Optics Planet/Midway USA

Expo Arms Patrol Upper: $100.00 (Primary Arms)

Roscoe 16" Mid-Length: $156.00 (Roscoe)

Roscoe Gas Tube: $15.00 (Roscoe)

A2 Flash Hider: $8.00 (BCM)

So, at $373.00 retail for the build components, $349.00 seems reasonable when you add in the cost of keeping the lights on to what PA probably pays for the parts.

To me the rail would be the suspect component for a hard use duty or self-defense rifle, okay for a range toy.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

First thing, the rail is suspect to me, it has a similar description and material list as the $65.00 ones I put on my .22 PCC and builds I don't intend to keep. Like this: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mat...ot-mlok-15.htm (Although someone on the third shitter down told me that CMT was their source for these)

The upper receiver is arguably just as important to repeatability and accuracy as is the barrel. If you think a Aero Precision upper is suspect, then why would you even consider an upper using an Aero Upper? Note: I'm in the camp that understands that Aero is an OEM Mfg and think they are GTG - according to ATF they manufactured at least 143,000 receivers in 2020). I've built couple rifles using Aero receiver sets, in 5.56 and .308, I don't see any problems with them, so as far as I'm concerned, like I said, they are GTG.

Anyhow, the Roscoe barrel is a high quality from what I've experienced, I have a 13.7" stainless and it is definitely an accurate barrel.

So, at $373.00 retail for the build components, $349.00 seems reasonable when you add in the cost of keeping the lights on to what PA probably pays for the parts.

To me the rail would be the suspect component for a hard use duty or self-defense rifle, okay for a range toy.
    Thanks for that, @Dan Lehr .

My comment about Aero was not a condemnation; their upper & lower receivers are known good and several folks here have had excellent results with home builds using them as a base.
    They are known to have somewhat inconsistent results from their in-house assembled uppers and complete rifles, though. That is what I was referring to.
    The linked Expo Arms complete uppers all supposedly use their more expensive forged receiver, which is a Mega Arms/Zev product.

My question was mostly about the quality of assembly and the use of decent small parts within the complete units.

Further reading indicates that at least some of the barrels used in these complete uppers are made by Ballistic Advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

I would choose the Expo rail over a Matrix rail any day based on the one that I helped my nephew's friend install, then fix, then fix again. Unless they've changed, they have no anti rotation tabs and the rail was a poor fit to the barrel nut and kept walking forward. If I'd torqued the screws any more, I was afraid I was gonna strip them. I ended up scuffing up the barrel nut and putting a dab of Rocksett on it to hold it in place. Not the best solution, but he didn't want to ditch it and buy a new rail so our options were limited.

CMT makes great rails, and are the OEM for Forward Controls rails.

User Tag List