Thread: Nebo Flashlight vs... ??

Question Nebo Flashlight vs... ??

Hey gang,

First post here, and I have to say interesting times. For the first time, I'm actually putting together an official bugging out bin in my garage. I have ordered a TON of Mountain House meals and MREs where I can find, however finding Mountain house has longer shelf life. I have ordered some nuke pills (potassium) and now looking at a reliable bright flashlight. A buddy on Facebook shared this Nebo flashlight review: https://www.4wdtalk.com/nebo-flashlight-review/

So, I don't know jack @#$% about this "Nebo" brand. BUT that said, this thing is 12,000 lumens. Seriously? I thought my 1000 lumen Surefire was a beast. This Nebo crushes it, if legit??

But I do have concerns as the reviewer does state the 12,000 lumens doesn't last long, nor the second setting at 7000. So can you get spare batteries for this thing to use as backup? Actually if you don't mind, can you please let me know what you know about this brand. If there is another worth looking at, please link me. Thank you in advance!

Cesna

Any opinions on this flashlight? Please share anything good or bad that you happen to know about this flashlight. Thank you!

I mean, if you read the review closely, you'd see that the light uses two 26650 wrapped together. Likely just in series, so you could simply try and stick two 26650 in there in parallel as a substitute.

As for the output, 12000 lumens is not especially crazy, given that it is specifically for burst mode, as noted by the review. The problem is less battery life and more of thermal regulation.

The problem is, what kind of use are you looking for this light to do? What would even be the purpose of 12000 (or 7000) lumens? What would be your resupply/recharging plan? Etc.

Just as a point of reference and my own opinion;

Chicom flashlights by and large are junk. Even the "better" brands like Olight and Fenix are questionable.

Just like any other piece of kit that the continuity of your pulse might depend on, it's better to (1) define what the light is for; (2) do your research on what light features might best fit that mission and then (3) buy the light that best fits the mission. Modlite, Malkoff, Surefire or even Streamlight would be on my short list of manufacturers. I wouldn't look at "Nebo" even as a light to give my wife to keep in her purse.

So, what is the intended purpose of the light?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Obvious build quality differences aside, flashlights like this Nebo 12K are designed for eye-popping amazon titles and impressing your friends. The lumen claim is dubious and must use multiple emitters to achieve anywhere near 12,000 making for a very floody light. If used outdoors, maximum "throw" (a combination of lumens, beam quality and shape) is a more useful metric. The advertised throw is 220 meters at the unsustainable max brightness. Compare to this *much* smaller Surefire's 315 meters. Realistic "usable" distance is generally 1/3 to 1/2 the advertised ANSI FL1 figure, meaning if you need to light up something 100 meters away, the Surefire will actually be brighter.
    Last edited by ArgentFix; 03-26-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesna View Post
    Hey gang,

First post here, and I have to say interesting times. For the first time, I'm actually putting together an official bugging out bin in my garage. I have ordered a TON of Mountain House meals and MREs where I can find, however finding Mountain house has longer shelf life. I have ordered some nuke pills (potassium) and now looking at a reliable bright flashlight. A buddy on Facebook shared this Nebo flashlight review: https://www.4wdtalk.com/nebo-flashlight-review/

So, I don't know jack @#$% about this "Nebo" brand. BUT that said, this thing is 12,000 lumens. Seriously? I thought my 1000 lumen Surefire was a beast. This Nebo crushes it, if legit??

But I do have concerns as the reviewer does state the 12,000 lumens doesn't last long, nor the second setting at 7000. So can you get spare batteries for this thing to use as backup? Actually if you don't mind, can you please let me know what you know about this brand. If there is another worth looking at, please link me. Thank you in advance!

Cesna
    So.....your from Fountain Valley, Ca.?

There is a local flashlight manufacture you could check out.....

Site Supporter
    Being that close to one of the largest port facilities on the west coast; I wouldn’t worry about the radiation pills. You’ll be one of the lucky ones who dies in the first strikes and won’t have to worry about surviving the nuclear winter later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    So.....your from Fountain Valley, Ca.?

There is a local flashlight manufacture you could check out.....
    Well played.
    #RESIST

User Tag List