Thread: Thoughts on TORNADO brushes for cleaning?

Thoughts on TORNADO brushes for cleaning?

What are your guys thoughts on these? I recently tried cleaning my smooth bore shotgun with a bore snake, bronze bristle brush, patches, etc, but when I was done, the bore surface still looked like a pebble walkway! A friend suggested a tornado brush, so I gave it a shot.

It worked like MAGIC! On my first pass, I could feel the roughness of the debris as the brush passed through and I could hear debris hitting the wall behind my muzzle. 2-3 passes later and and the bore looked like a mirror. 1 pass with oil and another with a dry patch and I was done.

My only concern is that the brush is made from stainless steel. My barrel is rated for steel shot so I don’t think it should be a problem, but what do you guys think?

Site Supporter
    The tornado brush was on the market when I was a kid. I'm 74 now. I use them occasionally but not every time I clean the bore. Before shot cup wads, lead shot contacted the bore, and leading was a bigger issue then than now. Plastic build up from wads occurs, and tornado brushes remove this also. A copper pot scrubber pad cut up and wrapped around bristle brushes do a good job. Test the "copper" brush with a magnet to verify that it's not iron. There's a stainless pot scrubber type brush on the market. This item is designed for gun cleaning and not dish washing. It's made from a softer stainless and is safe. Only a few strands wrapped around a bristle are required. I always babied shotguns, even Mossbergs. If I owned a high dollar shotgun, I would verify what I ran through the barrel.

I have used fine steel wool wrapped around a dowl rod and chucked up in a drill. Run it in and out of the barrel while running the drill. It removes all the junk and leaves a nice shiny bore. The guy at AI&P Tactical recommended this cleaning process.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I've been using them since they were first introduced and as you have discovered, they are the bomb for heavily fouled barrels. Can they cause damage if used improperly? Yep - especially in barrels that are rifled. I'm also pleased with how durable they are as I've only replaced mine once in all these years.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    There's a stainless pot scrubber type brush on the market. This item is designed for gun cleaning and not dish washing. It's made from a softer stainless and is safe. Only a few strands wrapped around a bristle are required.
    I think this is the stuff. I use it for many things, not just guns.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Thanks for all the reply’s. I’m going to run a few strokes of JB Bore Paste down the clean barrel to hopefully prevent leading, or at least minimize it for my next range session. I’ve been shooting a lot of slugs which seeps to leave a lot of lead in the barrel.

When I attended Greg Sullivan's shotgun armorer's course, he opined that tornado brushes weren't all that good for rifled barrels, but worked very well in smoothbores.

I haven't done a ton of shotgun shooting since then, but they've cleaned up my 12 guage barrels in a jiffy.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have used fine steel wool wrapped around a dowl rod and chucked up in a drill. Run it in and out of the barrel while running the drill. It removes all the junk and leaves a nice shiny bore. The guy at AI&P Tactical recommended this cleaning process.
    Used this technique for decades. 0000 steel wool should be in every gunpersons's kit. Dry-Wet-Dry.

Sorry for the late response:

One of these Chamber brushes: https://www.proshotproducts.com/12-G...dle_p_622.html as well as a tornado brush (and cleaning rod) and either a bore mop or a bore snack to lightly lube/oil and you should be good to go.

I cannot emphasize the need for a good chamber cleaning brush if you are shooting assorted brass lengths, or that value pack junk in your shotguns.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List