Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4”-ish .357s: King Cobra Target, K6s Target and more

Exclamation 4”-ish .357s: King Cobra Target, K6s Target and more

Since I’m learning about DA Colts on the fly and trying to sort the wheat from the chaff while drinking from a fire hose (can I fit anymore trite tropes into one sentence?), I figured I’d start a new thread instead of hijacking the Python thread anymore.

I’m a fan of 3”-4” .357s, mainly as launchers of .38s because of hand and wrist issues. The Colt spot is currently held down by a Trooper MKIII but a little voice is telling me I probably want need a new Colt as well. I thought I heard it saying Python but my wallet got the vapors and had to lie down.

I did some looking around while it recovered and found the . What are the difference(s) between the KCT and Python? Is it frame size or something else?

More questions as time and coverage allows, thanks!
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-26-2022 at 10:24 AM. Reason: per user request
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Had time to do a little reading. Frame size is the major difference. The best description I found said think of them in K frame (KCT) and L frame (Python) terms.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Slightly more accurate comparison would be the KCT is Detective Special size rather than K-frame, while the Python is indeed more like a L-frame Smith. At least that has been my understanding. I'm willing to be corrected.

Dave

I can't argue, I've never held either unless an Agent a Cobra is Detective Special size.

Am I understanding correctly that the DS is bigger than a J frame but smaller than a K frame?

EDIT: OK, so I'm a little slower than normal tonight. I just realized I have my Grandfather's snub Cobra so am I basically looking a 4" version of that with adjustable sights?
    Last edited by awp_101; 03-17-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I can't argue, I've never held either unless an Agent is Detective Special size.

Am I understanding correctly that the DS is bigger than a J frame but smaller than a K frame?
    Yes sir

Here's a photo of a 4 inch Python and a 3 inch King Cobra for comparison.

Name:  colts.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  50.0 KB

In hand, the difference is considerable. The Python is a solid hunk of steel, the KC feels compact and a bunch more agile. I'd imagine the KC target is a little less so, but there will still be a considerable difference.

So what does that mean? As usual, depends what the intended use is. Price is the obvious difference. Weight, the Python is 42 oz, the KC target is 36 oz, the KC 3 inch is 28 oz.

For range use, I think either the Python or the KC target will likely serve well. They have the same adjustable rear sights, and if you're not shooting hot magnum loads most of the time there may not be a lot of difference between the two. The front sight is slightly taller on the Python. Honestly, I think part of the Python mystique is the appearance and each person needs to decide if that's worth an extra $500-600. The KC is a little more subtle in appearance, it won't get folks lined up to look at the range as happens with the larger snake gun, but the KC is a perfectly functional revolver within it's intended use. I've heard some don't like the factory wooden grips on the KC target, but I haven't tried them, I'm finicky on grips, and if they don't work there are a few other options. The sights are OK if you're careful to set them up right the first time, and then don't bang them around too much.

I was going to wait and do this elsewhere, but this is as good a place as any to start. My two Colt's have found distinct niches.

The Python is an awesome range toy. Basically, that's because it's cool and fun to shoot. It handles moderate magnum loads as well as any 42 oz revolver, although I prefer to shoot 38 HBWC because they're really accurate out of this revolver, and they're just fun to shoot. It's possible to carry and conceal the Python, but I've chosen to (usually) use the KC for that role instead.

What got me thinking that way was a trip a year and a half ago to Mt Lassic, a wilderness area not all that far from here. My wife came along but didn't want to do the really steep climb up to the summit, so I brought the KC as an extra, left it with her at the campsite, and hauled my HK USP45 full size up there. By the time I made the top, I understood why a few ounces can matter. Steep grades, loose serpentine soils, a bunch of ups and downs just to get the the base, only 5,800 feet elevation but that's 5,760 more than where I live; I was tired by the time the adventure was over a few hours later. Later, putting the KC away, I made a mental note that "ya know, this thing is pretty small and light and handy and still pretty accurate." That's when I decided to keep it.

Now, nearing semi-retirement, I'm setting up to do a bunch more wilderness backpacking. I'm upgrading gear, going with ultralight stuff in part because I want to carry a 2.5 lb camera plus a firearm and the easiest way to do that for multi-day hikes is to reduce other items. The KC 3 inch is mostly going to be it. Reasons: 1) 28 oz empty; 2) excellent trigger; 3) multiple non-lead loads available from light to 140gr HP Barnes hunting loads to 165gr solids; 4) easy to change loads to match circumstances; 5) the trough sights are less than perfect, but good enough and can't go out of adjustment days from the trailhead; 6) the rubber grips fit my hand surprisingly well, and I sometimes have difficulty finding grips that work; 7) it handles magnum loads well enough, and speedloaders clear; and 8) it's been reliable for me so far.

We often joke "buy both." In this case, that's exactly what I eventually ended up doing. Although admittedly, Having a Python largely makes a King Cobra Target redundant, so it's probably one or the other, with one of the smaller fixed sight and shorter barrel Cobra or King Cobra variants being the most obvious counterpoint to either of the adjustable sight revolvers.

Not sure if that helps or just enables.
    Last edited by Salamander; 03-17-2022 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Not sure if that helps or just enables.
    Both! I’m sorry I can only give this post a single “like” so I’ll add this as well:
    Name:  FB99D6B1-A33E-4F81-A2F3-2A5BE733BB2C.jpeg
Views: 1335
Size:  88.0 KB

So the KCT is essentially a 4” version of the old snub Cobra I already have. That gives me an idea of scale along with that picture.

Right now it’s looking like a KCT and K6S Target with be the next 2 things I chase unless a clean Model 28 or 4” X86 shows up for short money on my rounds tomorrow. *pauses to let laughter die down*

There's a good review at https://revolverguy.com/field-report...-cobra-target/

A few thoughts, some of them reiterating what's in other threads or the review:

The set screw on the rear sight is often loose out of the box. Center the sight using the convenient alignment dots, tighten the set screw carefully (.050 Allen, one was included with my KC but not my Python, go figure), and hopefully you're done. Some have needed a dab of blue or purple Loctite. If you remove the set screw... the threads are really shallow and it's really small... put it back in carefully, spin it backwards a bit to seat the threads before tightening, it's pretty easy to crossthread. The system seems to work OK for most, but the rear sight (common to the KC, the Python, and the Anaconda) is made by a third party vendor, the dimensions aren't real consistent, and a few of us have had issues. Allegedly we're going to see an aftermarket RDS mount and maybe a Kensight Elliason rear sight later this year, fingers crossed.

Make sure everything else is tight. Use that same .050 Allen to check the front sight, I put some blue Loctite on mine day one and have had no problems. Take the grips off and check all the sideplate screws, reportedly they've had factory Loctite since the early days, but apparently because the screws are extra hard stainless they don't seat quite the same way the older, softer ones did.

So far the factory grips have worked well for me on two Colts, which is unusual. But since human hands are a variable, there are a variety of options from Hogue (the rubber monogrip that's on the 3-inch is only $35), Altamont, and VZ. The Post-2017 KC grips are not the same as the older D-frame grips.

HKS DS speedloaders work perfectly on the post-2017 KC revolvers.

I've gone through a similar thought process/justification and niche/use definition as the OP, except in my case I choose Ruger's GP100 and Security Six.

Similarly, grip choice is key, and in both of my revolvers as well things evolved down to rubber grips as being the best overall choice after much experimentation.

Best, Jon

I have the 3" KC and it is accurate and very easy to carry. Only downside is I wish it had adjustables as mine prefers 125 grain slugs in 38 and 357. The 125s shoot to POA the 38s just strike about 3-4" below the 357s. I would give up a skosh of accuracy for the heavier round.
    But the 3" KC has become my daily carry. I use a Galco Combat Master for an SP 101 or a Simply Rugged for a 3" SP 101. The Galco leaves about 1/2" of barrel protruding from the bottom of the rig and Galco says they don't make a 3" rig for a Ruger SP or a Colt KC. My KC wears the VZ concealment type grip. I've shot a friends KCT and it is very accurate.

User Tag List