Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4”-ish .357s: King Cobra Target, K6s Target and more

Bump because I needed some revolver action so I took the Kimber and GP with me on Sunday's range trip.

I'm not sure the KCT is going to stick around. It's nice and all but I just don't care for the grip and the aftermarket isn't stepping up. I'm very tempted to put it on consignment locally and either pick up another K6, a 4" Smith or something like a Super Redhawk in .45 Colt.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Cool My current choice for a 4 “ blaster

This makes short work of 38 specials and the occasional .357 for me, although I fully acknowledge the K6S and CKC are more svelte options

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102809[/ATTACHName:  8C51C536-BB45-41DF-85F9-E88CCC47BA9B.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  76.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrrnation! View Post
    This makes short work of 38 specials and the occasional .357 for me, although I fully acknowledge the K6S and CKC are more svelte options

Name:  4E69C68D-DF6A-4E3A-8AF1-D112FF808820.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  85.1 KB
    That’s a great choice! I had one when they first came out but never could get comfortable with the factory wood grips. If I’d been smarter I’d have just switched to a regular GP grip and carried on. Instead I swapped it off for some other shiny toy.

Maybe I’ll add another MC to the list of replacements for the Colt.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    A Blackhawk was the second revolver I owned. I think I purchased it around 1973 when I lived in AZ. I traded it for a varmint rifle but I carried it for a few years while working in remote areas of N.AZ and CO. I've seriously thought about buying another one but I would rather have a S&W. That's all I have purchased since so a single action Ruger would look funny alongside all those Smiths. They have a nice balance though.
    A three-screw BH was my first CF handgun.

Still have it and the unfired 9mm cylinder.

Been thinking about another one , maybe as a .44 Special conversion job.

Or a .44 mag flattop.

New Model BHs just don’t do it for me.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    A three-screw BH was my first CF handgun.

Still have it and the unfired 9mm cylinder.

New Model BHs just don’t do it for me.
    A New Model convertible BH was my first CF handgun. Still have it. I finally shot 9mms through it a few years ago.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Coming back to this after spending some time getting my "duty size 9mm" and HD shotgun scene mostly squared away.

The Kimber and I went through a separation period because I just haven't been able to get comfortable with any of the grip options I've tried. I pick up a GP100 and it just feels right. After a couple of months on consignment with no bites, I picked it back up this afternoon and I'm going to try some of the Control Core grips which are basically CT laser grips without the laser. Technically they're for the DAO models but I saw a post on another forum showing the slight modification needed to run them on the DASA models.

While I was there I saw another K6 on consignment, a 3" TLE model.

Name:  TLE.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  42.9 KB

The grip is even smaller than what's on my 4" but I'm intrigued. There's some nasty scuffs on the left side from a speed loader. If it's still there after the first of the year I'll probably make an offer just above lowball territory.

I own two Kimber K6S’ and have put the Hogue bantams on them, since I hated the factory grips that came on them. Have you considered the Hogue grips?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I own two Kimber K6S’ and have put the Hogue bantams on them, since I hated the factory grips that came on them. Have you considered the Hogue grips?
    Yes and I hated them worse than the factory grips. Someone should make the equivalent of the Hogue or Pachmayr K or L frame Goodyears. Or something like the GP100 Tamers or even the full size standard GP100 grips (NOT the compact/SP101 grips).

This is a 4” adjustable sight revolver that’s suitable for field use. Compact, concealment style grips have no place (IMO) on such a revolver. They should be an option, but not the factory default when this model isn’t aimed (so to speak) at the concealed carry market (AFAIK). Thus endeth the cloud yelling rant.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Coming back to this after spending some time getting my "duty size 9mm" and HD shotgun scene mostly squared away.

The Kimber and I went through a separation period because I just haven't been able to get comfortable with any of the grip options I've tried. I pick up a GP100 and it just feels right. After a couple of months on consignment with no bites, I picked it back up this afternoon and I'm going to try some of the Control Core grips which are basically CT laser grips without the laser. Technically they're for the DAO models but I saw a post on another forum showing the slight modification needed to run them on the DASA models.

While I was there I saw another K6 on consignment, a 3" TLE model.

Name:  TLE.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  42.9 KB

The grip is even smaller than what's on my 4" but I'm intrigued. There's some nasty scuffs on the left side from a speed loader. If it's still there after the first of the year I'll probably make an offer just above lowball territory.
    So you couldn't get comfortable with a 4" Kimber and you're wondering if a 3" might be better? Your money, but I'd be hesitant AF.

Maybe offer the 4" here?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So you couldn't get comfortable with a 4" Kimber and you're wondering if a 3" might be better? Your money, but I'd be hesitant AF.

Maybe offer the 4" here?
    I like everything about the 4" except the grips I've been able to try. And it's not like it's unshootable, I just prefer a different grip shape and size that I haven't been able to find or simply isn't available (I don't like the skinny, square factory stocks on J and K frames either but at least there's options). 99% of the time, I'm running .38 through it because I'm shooting it for fun. A 3" would be the same way. And I did offer the 4" here, I linked the consignment listing in the FS area but had no bites or offers in 2 months so I brought it back home to try the control core grips for the DAO and work with it some more.

And after all of that, a bout of curiosity this morning lead me to this.

Name:  IMG_1871.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  108.0 KB

With a little razor knife trimming, it looks like it might be workable. Maybe not pretty, but functional.

User Tag List