Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Point Me in the Right Direction...

Help Point Me in the Right Direction...

I'm currently looking at a couple of S&W I-Frames at my local LGS, at a very good price. I don't know very much about these little pistols, so I'm looking for some information. What do you all think about this revolvers.

One is a blue Model 30 or 31 (I honestly forgot to look, I was so excited). This one has some frame scuffs on the lower portion of the frame, just above and behind the trigger, on both sides. It also has some holster wear on the end of the barrel. The second one is and 1903 model, but it's in nickel with gold trigger, hammer and cylinder release. The condition of the finish is exceptional, but the gold parts turn me off. And I suspect the nickel has been redone or added at some point. The blue pistol is $400 and the Nickel is $375.

Are these acceptable prices on these little guns? is there anything I should look for that would keep me from buying one or the other?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'd go for the blued one myself.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'd go for the blued one myself.
    Ditto. It's a newer model and therefore parts are going to be more available, and the metallurgy will be better. Plus the gold stuff on the older one is fugly.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Ditto. It's a newer model and therefore parts are going to be more available, and the metallurgy will be better. Plus the gold stuff on the older one is fugly.
    That nickel/gold one would be just the thing to wear to a Roaring 20s themed party dressed as a Prohibition-era pimp. I'm having a hard time not wanting it.

Regarding the one on the left. Doesn't matter the model # unless it's a 31-1. Then it would be a J frame. Probably still doesn't matter. Looks like a model 30 to me.

Model 30 and 31 go for around 6-700 in exl condition. Of course that isn't either one of those so 350-400 would be a fair price, IMO, if they check out.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'd have a hard time passing up the blued one at that price.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have a 31-1. Slick little shooter. Think about it this way. S&W will never make another 32. Model 30 was discontinued in 1976. 16 and 31 around 1990. Gone forever.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Good advice thus far. I have a gut feeling that most nickeled Smiths of that vintage have been refinished. Happy to be educated otherwise.

Gold = definitely refinished. Not my cup of tea.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

@Moped
    You need the blue I-Frame. You don't strike me as a bling kind of guy

I think, for our area or region, that's a good price if every thing checks out solid on it. Good looking gun imho.

Yeah, you need to go buy the blue one.

Or maybe make an offer for both. They aren't making any more like that.

User Tag List