Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Market Gap? 3-inch Lightweight Medium Frame Revolvers

Potential Market Gap? 3-inch Lightweight Medium Frame Revolvers

I’d like to supplement my 340PD with a 6-shot lightweight revolver in .357 (or at least .38+P). Something with a longer sight radius (e.g. a 2.75-3.5” barrel), sub-2 pound weight, common spring-assisted speed loaders, and decent holster options—a good AIWB carry option for untucked shirt days and the occasional IDPA match (once the rules changes go into effect).

I carried a 3” model 60 for a while an AIWB gun, but the combination of the weight-to-firepower ratio and the lack of competition opportunities suited for that gun drive me away long-term.

Is the Taurus 856 Defender really the only option in current production?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

This is what I call the D frame class of revolvers (due to size similarities to the original Colt D frames). These are typically small frame revolvers that are slightly bigger than a J frame, yet are quite a bit easier to pack than a medium size K/L frame. Safariland made Comp I speedloaders for D frame revolvers years ago, but they have been sadly discontinued.

Current options include:

Kimber K6s

Colt Cobra (sub 3 inch only) and King Cobra

Charter Police Undercover

The Aforementioned 856 Defender

The SP101 falls into this size category (even uses old D frame holsters), but it is sadly a five shooter.

I would love to see Smith and Wesson produce a small frame six shooter (similar to the sadly abandoned Model 73), and for Ruger to finally make the SP101 a .38/.357 six shooter. With that said, I would not hold my breath.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 03-16-2022 at 09:32 PM.

I have an Agent from the 60’s, a alloy D-Frame with a 2” barrel. It’s a fine gun, but I’d rather not destroy it by wearing it against bare skin or running matches with it.

I couldn’t find a lightweight version of the K6 or new Cobra… I can only find stainless steel guns in those product lines on the manufacturers’ sites.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I have an Agent from the 60’s, a alloy D-Frame with a 2” barrel. It’s a fine gun, but I’d rather not destroy it by wearing it against bare skin or running matches with it.

I couldn’t find a lightweight version of the K6 or new Cobra… I can only find stainless steel guns in those product lines on the manufacturers’ sites.
    I believe that I read Kimber would be offering a lightweight "K6xs" with an alloy frame.

I have no idea why Colt has yet to offer a new version of a true alloy frame Cobra. Their decisions never cease to amaze me. Hopefully CZ ownership will bring good things in the future (perhaps some smaller trigger guards, names that make sense, and a new .38 or .357 Diamondback).

Name:  k6xs.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  27.5 KB

Here is the image that has leaked

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    With 32 oz as your criteria, you might still check the specs on the Kimber and Colt.

The Taurus is ~18 oz in alloy and ~24 oz in steel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

FWIW I love my Colt KC 3". 28 ozs and it is a six shot and 357. Has a nice brass bead front sight and it shoots to POA with 125 grain Remington Golden Sabre 357s. The Hogues are great for recoil and the VZs that are on it now aid with speedloading. 5 shot groups at 15 yards double action at 1 to 1.5"s. Great action and easy to carry. I use a DeSantis OWB and a Kramer IWB for SP 101 holsters and they fit and carry well.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    With 32 oz as your criteria, you might still check the specs on the Kimber and Colt.

The Taurus is ~18 oz in alloy and ~24 oz in steel.
    That’s on me! I meant to type sub-24 oz. I’ll edit the original.

Wait—I cannot. I meant Sub-24 oz.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think the Taurus is your huckleberry, then. KyGunCo had the stainless model for $330 a little while ago.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I am a revolver guy, but I think that is a huge hole in the market. Taurus is on the right track and I think the Ruger WC GP100's are pretty close. I hope they make that a catalog item. Interesting things happen when the gun market collapses, so let's see what happens when the bubble finally burst.

User Tag List