Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Market Gap? 3-inch Lightweight Medium Frame Revolvers

I still want a 3” last model Police Positive with the shrouded ejection rod. I don’t think they ever did any.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Where is everybody finding these? I need some for my Colt Cobra 3"!!!
    Aside from this gunbroker auction, currently unobtanium. Remington hasn't done a run in quite some time.

The new iteration of Remington has it listed on their website, so hopefully they will tool up and do a run.

It's what I call a "middle magnum" load, hotter than a .38 +P but not full tilt magnum either. Out of a snub it gives similar performance as a hot 9mm load, and is right at the edge of what I consider acceptable recoil out of my Smith 640 Pro.

Hornady's Critical Duty has been sporadically available and occupies a similar niche.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

From a 2.5-3" gun, I personally like the Gold Dot Short Barrel +P .38. It shoots well, with lighter recoil than any magnum, and you'll get full performance from it unlike when you fire it in a 2" gun.

For .357s from a 3" gun, Buffalo Bore loads a Barnes 140-grain XPB that hits right at 1200fps from a 3" gun - https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=324

It ain't cheap, but Barnes bullets perform so well and that's a nice sweet spot in terms of shooting. It's softer than the factory Barnes VorTx load, while offering the heavier 140-grain bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Aside from this gunbroker auction, currently unobtanium. Remington hasn't done a run in quite some time.

The new iteration of Remington has it listed on their website, so hopefully they will tool up and do a run.

It's what I call a "middle magnum" load, hotter than a .38 +P but not full tilt magnum either. Out of a snub it gives similar performance as a hot 9mm load, and is right at the edge of what I consider acceptable recoil out of my Smith 640 Pro.

Hornady's Critical Duty has been sporadically available and occupies a similar niche.
    I saw that auction. Pretty pricey. I had not considered the Hornady CD load. I'm using the 135gr Gold Dot 38 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    From a 2.5-3" gun, I personally like the Gold Dot Short Barrel +P .38. It shoots well, with lighter recoil than any magnum, and you'll get full performance from it unlike when you fire it in a 2" gun.

For .357s from a 3" gun, Buffalo Bore loads a Barnes 140-grain XPB that hits right at 1200fps from a 3" gun - https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=324

It ain't cheap, but Barnes bullets perform so well and that's a nice sweet spot in terms of shooting. It's softer than the factory Barnes VorTx load, while offering the heavier 140-grain bullet.
    I'm using the Gold Dot Short Barrel +P .38 now. It works well in my pistol. They seem to rum pretty fast in my King Cobra 3". Here is the results from my Chrono testing:

#1 - 1091
    #2 - 1084
    #3- 1071
    #4-1109
    #5-1100

Avg: 1091.0
    Standard Dev: 14.6
    Spread: 38
    Last edited by 4given; 03-17-2022 at 02:05 PM.

With the irregularities in QC common with todays revolver production would cutting a 4" down be practical? The price for a S&W Model 10 three inch revolvers is crazy on GB. Wanting one from the Max Hayword collection Woodlawn Boys is auctioning off. Get a 27-2, 3½" cheaper then what these are selling for.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I'm using the Gold Dot Short Barrel +P .38 now. It works well in my pistol. They seem to rum pretty fast in my King Cobra 3". Here is the results from my Chrono testing:

#1 - 1091
    #2 - 1084
    #3- 1071
    #4-1109
    #5-1100

Avg: 1091.0
    Standard Dev: 14.6
    Spread: 38
    It's probably the best load for a 2.5-3" gun out there. Out of a 2.5" gun you'll see 1050-1075 or so and the Gold Dot works well down to those velocities especially in that 135-grain weight (as opposed to the 125).

I run it in my 2.5" J-Frame and when my 3" Detective Special wasn't on loan, in that gun too (in fact that is what is loaded in it for Madre along with two more speedloaders for her). It ain't the most fun to shoot in a 2.5" Airweight J, but you can run a 5x5x5 drill and score 100%.

That said, I need to get some .357" 140-grain XPBs, and load some up to around 800fps and shoot them in gel and see what the results are. Because if the XPB can function properly at the low velocity it would be a mean little round that should work well from 2-6" guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    With the irregularities in QC common with todays revolver production would cutting a 4" down be practical? The price for a S&W Model 10 three inch revolvers is crazy on GB. Wanting one from the Max Hayword collection Woodlawn Boys is auctioning off. Get a 27-2, 3½" cheaper then what these are selling for.
    Right now it seems that Colt and Taurus are winning for best QC in new revolver land.

That's a sentence I didn't think I'd ever write...

Right now it seems that Colt and Taurus are winning for best QC in new revolver land.

The world has truly turned upside down hasn’t it?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I took a gamble on a new 317 last Saturday and it's phenomenal. Laser accurate and has a great trigger for a K frame much less a J frame. I could not miss with it out to 25 yards on the timer (25 yards thread). I had my fingers crossed It's adjustable sights were perfectly zeroed for 25 yds out of the fookin' box.

Soon I'll find out about my son's new 2.75" M-66. @03RN you're posts/threads had a major influence on him.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List