Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Recession imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    That would start around 1.5m here.
    About the same here. $300k here gets you a 1BR condo in a decent bedroom community with metro access, or a 2BR condo in one of the older buildings that aren't kept up as well or a nice community without walking distance to the metro.

FWIW, don't know about you guys but I love watching the youtube channels that cover the more interesting small/low cost housing in Tokyo and NYC.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

300k in my zip code can get you a decent townhouse-like condo. No garage, no yard except for the open space belonging to the condo association, apartment like parking but you typically get 2-3 floors and about 1500sq-ft. Or a smallish older home, under 1500sq-ft, with or without garage and probably needs updating.

Modern 2000+ sq-ft home with yard and garage is in the half mil range.

Just land, $200k gets you about 1/2 acre

Realistically you can't touch anything here under $400k

If I look at older aging areas with mostly smaller homes built around WW2 or prior. Some remodeled some not. 1000sq-ft will be roughly $200k. One particular one in mind 588sq-ft 2 bath, 2 bed, 2 floors, remodeled, 1/2 acre $160k

Problem with a lot of these homes is they're mostly all oil heat and septic. We all know the price of oil and those septic tanks are almost always original and failing or have failed.
    Last edited by 4RNR; 05-05-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Kentucky is not perfect but .....house , garage , back up solar , back up well for water and 16 acres for a buck and a quarter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How the fuck did you get to this point?

Did anyone here say that college should be free and paid for by taxes?
    My world does not revolve around this forum. It is almost a daily mention in the news and by some in .gov to forgive student debt.

If you borrow money you should pay it back regardless of what it was borrowed for.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    No. SOME employers will pay for SOME of the courses.

As always it depends and Kentucky is not Chicago. Some require the classes to relate to a job in the corporation , does not have to be in the facility but in the corporation. Some companies look at it as giving back to the community and will cover just about anything. I have seen several become RNs , engineers and one became a pharmacist on the company dime.

Did you personally use any of those tuition assistance programs while earning just barely above minimum wage?

Never had to , some courses are covered up front 100%. I trained in Reading Pa. , Indy Indiana , Detroit Mich. , Hopkinsville Ky , Bowling Green Ky , Cinn Ohio and St Charles Missouri with the courses full paid up front by the companies. They paid my wage while I attended , paid mileage if I drove to them , paid airfare and for rental car if to far to drive , covered hotels and paid for food. My favorite was Ross Perot's place in St Charles.

I hit the job market shortly after Jimmy "pedo joe's brother from another mother " Carter trashed the economy. My first job even in a very bad job market was double minimum wage , in my area today entry level jobs start from a little below to a little over 3 times minimum wage. McDonalds are even quite a bit above minimum.

But almost no 19 year old is out there making 45k a year working part time (abovementioned outliers excluded) and so college debt is likely unavoidable for nearly every middle class student in America who seeks college education.

Not part time but easily making that full time along with life insurance , disability insurance , 401K , dental , vision , medical while going to school part time. Plus when they finish school they will have 6-8 years of work experience on their resume instead of debt to pay off.

Taxpayers foot the bill for high schoolers, and myself and a number of my friends worked in high school. Are we going to next demand high schoolers just "get off their fucking ass and work" to pay for their education?

The private sector fronts the money for the government to manage a K12 school system ( very poorly ) and after we finish school we pay school taxes on just about everything until our last working day to pay that back into the system. Demanding high schoolers pay for their education is exactly what we do now with school taxes.

These jobs are open right now. The companies have signs out by the road and banners hanging off the buildings trying to get job applicants even as slow as things are now. Is there enough for every student..of course not but there are many spots not filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Kentucky is not perfect but .....house , garage , back up solar , back up well for water and 16 acres for a buck and a quarter.
    I will check landwatch again. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I will check landwatch again. Thanks.
    We bought the place in 2015 , found it on Zillow. Many would probably not live here as the house is 2B but only the wife and I so it works for us. Near larger cities things are pretty high but get out to more rural areas and things get cheaper.

Ky. has .gov problems with debt , cooruption, underfunded pensions and schools suck in many areas but it is cheap to live here conpared to a lot of places.

seeing some of y'all talking about rural vs. suburbia, i've been having the thought that, our desired move to WV might involve 2 properties:
    massive land (200+ acres) in bum fuck nowhere, where we build our forever home/estate*.
    small apartment in town that we stay in when we feel like being social for a couple days (doctor appointments, night life, flights to someplace, etc.) and where I keep some of the more critical I.T. related gear for my business, since pulling 20-30 miles of my own personal fiber doesn't sound like a fun task.
    i'm figuring they'd be about 20-35 minutes apart, these 2 locations.

* i'm thinking of some form of land management corporation or something, that would own the land and the buildings, so when the kid wants to build his place on the property he can, and it helps prevent estate tax penalties for my son's future progeny.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    seeing some of y'all talking about rural vs. suburbia, i've been having the thought that, our desired move to WV might involve 2 properties:
    massive land (200+ acres) in bum fuck nowhere, where we build our forever home/estate*.
    small apartment in town that we stay in when we feel like being social for a couple days (doctor appointments, night life, flights to someplace, etc.) and where I keep some of the more critical I.T. related gear for my business, since pulling 20-30 miles of my own personal fiber doesn't sound like a fun task.

* i'm thinking of some form of land management corporation or something, that would own the land and the buildings, so when the kid wants to build his place on the property he can, and it helps prevent estate tax penalties for my son's future progeny.
    I've definitely played with a similar idea, but weighted more toward the city, with our main house in the city near work, friends, neighbors we like, school, etc, then a bit of property hopefully 60-90 minutes with some space and a small house/cabin where we can get out and do our own thing on weekends and vacations. I might be the only person in the family that is really enamored by that idea.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post

Buy that acreage a short drive into the country from a growing suburb..... Wait 20 years for the sprawl to reach you. Now you have 200 acres on the edge of suburbia with a mall, swanky grocery and lots of restaurants just a 10 minute drive from your 200 valuable acres. Be sure to set it up to qualify for an Ag exemption or the increase in property tax will force you to sell.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List