Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LCR .327

Here's a bit of gel info

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ed-32-magnums/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Some time after S&W bought them, IIRC.
    Dang, was seriously considering trying them out again. Had a 38 when they first came out, but wasn't a revolver shooter and couldn't shoot it worth a damn. It had that really short smooth boot grip, making practice painful, so I moved on.

Damn you guys! I'd given up on my .327 LCR and put it up at my LGS. Now in fairness, I didn't really give it a fair shake and enough effort. I also had my LGS list it for too much (subconsciously of course) and since it hasn't sold yet, I guess I'll go pick it up and give it another go.

Damn enablers...

What’s the draw on these?

Is it the 6-rounds in a pocket revolver?
    Superior SD round to the .38 Special?
    All the above?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

All the above?
    - 6 rounds, easy reloads with HKS 32-J
    - range of ammo choices, mild-to-wild
    - jframe size, pocket carry or IWB-OWB
    - reloading is where it really shines... at least it used to when components where available.
    - Superior SD to 38 special? for me, it's not worth the debate as there are too many factors to consider for both calibers.

Name:  img2112.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  52.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

All the above?
    To it expand on the ammunition choices in a .327 vs a .38 or .357:

in an Airweight or lighter snubby chambered for .38 Special or .357, there are few commercial ammunition choices that allow for truly comfortable shooting. Standard 158 gr loads will draw blood from my hand after less than a box. 125 gr +p JHPs are only tolerable for a cylinder or two. 125 gr standard velocity GDHP were my carry load for years because they were match accurate and had tolerable recoil, but they are not made anymore. 110 gr Hornady standard pressure are comfortable but rarely seen, 148 gr FGMM wadcutters have a bit more recoil but seem to be the school answer for a .38 snub load that is normally available and will work on tissue without beating up the shooter. They are what I normally carry in the guns now, with a speedstrip or two of Ranger bonded JHP because they work more smoothly when reloading.

I load a 105gr moly coated lead bullet + 2.5-2.7 gr Bullseye practice load for my Airweights. That’s very nearly the same ballistics and recoil level of a standard .32 Long: barely more nudge than a .22 Magnum. I’ve only seen one iof them shot into a clear gel block (through denim, IIRC) and it ran a straight track for ~11”. Which is about the same as what the .22 Magnum and .32 Long did.

To feed a .327 with that level of comfortable recoil, you buy and shoot .32 Longs, or load standard .32 Long, and if needed you can go as hot as the .327 Federal. To get that in .38 Special requires more work, and commercial loads like mine aren’t readily available.

This all really does matter if you have gimpy/old person hands and/or elbows. And drawing blood from the skin of a 30-50 yo person’s hands with just .38 handgun recoil takes a bit of work (such as me stubbornly going through an entire box of 158 gr full power loads even after it started hurting because I was freaking going to finish the whole kittening box). An 80 yo person’s skin tends to be much more fragile.

@Duelist

I have some Hornady Critical defense lite that’s basically like 380ACP in a 38 special case.

It’s super mild.

And the 380 Taurus revolver is very pleasant to shoot despite the light weight.

Name:  7678B7DB-C6D9-471D-A53F-6F41038CA942.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  103.7 KB

Great little revolver

For those who own these guns, do they shoot to the sights? Are you seeing much point of impact shift between .32 Long target WC, .32 Long Buffalo Bore WC, and .32 H&R magnum 85 grain JHP?

Also, what kind of recoil impulse and blast are you perceiving with the .32 BB WC and the .32 magnum defensive loads? How do you think they would compare to a J frame or LCR firing FGMM .38 wadcutters?

I've never owned a revolver. Lately I've developed a strong urge to buy a .327 LCR, but they aren't cheap. I'd be in it over $700 after shipping and transfer fees, and then I still need to feed the little monster. A .38 LCR or 3" LCRx is about $150 cheaper and a basic J frame closer to $300 cheaper. I do have some single stage Lee reloading equipment that I picked up at a sale before everything went crazy. I've been meaning to take up the practice, but have been waiting for component price and availability to normalize. I'd only need to buy dies and consumables. I suppose this could be a good way to learn reloading.

Does it make sense to buy a .327 LCR as a first revolver right now, or would I be smarter to stick with a .38? I've never tried pocket carry and would kind of like to give it a try, even though those adjustable sights on the LCRx look appealing too. Perhaps after a decade reading P-F, I am finally ready to graduate to a pocket snubby. The .38 is nearly 1/4 pound lighter than the .327. That could be good and/or bad.

Going to send up the revolver Bat Signal here @jetfire

Site Supporter
    Saw a 327 Ruger snubby with a hammer at the local Cabelas for $499. That's a great price and I wonder if it was a mistake. They previously had a hammerless one for $609. Tempted but since I have a 432 and 632 (in 327) plus dropping a good buck in a new Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS and an SRO, I guess I'll pass on it.

Also went to the coin show. Discretionary money - buh bye!

User Tag List