Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LCR .327

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Also went to the coin show. Discretionary money - buh bye!
    So, you spent some serious coin at the coin show?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Two hobbies that cost something. Both maintain value over time if you purchase wisely. Coin show had a raffle to support Ukraine. Bought a ticket but didn't win. Bought a couple of classic commemorative classic age half dollars.

To 327 topic, both my SW guns have appreciated in value.

Site Supporter
    A .327 LCR is not an everything gun maybe, but to a lot of things gun. Except for ammo prices.

Are you all finding affordable ammo in any of the rounds it can fire?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A .327 LCR is not an everything gun maybe, but to a lot of things gun. Except for ammo prices.

Are you all finding affordable ammo in any of the rounds it can fire?
    Just from looking on ammoseek, it seems that the .32 S&W Long wadcutters are about the same general price as .38 wadcutters presently, and the .32s are actually available from more sources. I've read that these .32 loads are fairly popular in target shooting circles, especially in Europe, and perhaps Cowboy Action shooters.

The .32 S&W Long round nose lead are similar price to the wadcutters and fairly available online as well.

.32 H&R magnum and .327 Federal seem much harder to come by. Buffalo Bore sells directly some specialty loads that don't seem to be listed on ammoseek, but it's certainly not what I think of as affordable.

I think reloading may be the only way to get truly affordable .32 ammo compared to more popular calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    For those who own these guns, do they shoot to the sights? Are you seeing much point of impact shift between .32 Long target WC, .32 Long Buffalo Bore WC, and .32 H&R magnum 85 grain JHP?

Also, what kind of recoil impulse and blast are you perceiving with the .32 BB WC and the .32 magnum defensive loads? How do you think they would compare to a J frame or LCR firing FGMM .38 wadcutters?

I've never owned a revolver. Lately I've developed a strong urge to buy a .327 LCR, but they aren't cheap. I'd be in it over $700 after shipping and transfer fees, and then I still need to feed the little monster. A .38 LCR or 3" LCRx is about $150 cheaper and a basic J frame closer to $300 cheaper. I do have some single stage Lee reloading equipment that I picked up at a sale before everything went crazy. I've been meaning to take up the practice, but have been waiting for component price and availability to normalize. I'd only need to buy dies and consumables. I suppose this could be a good way to learn reloading.

Does it make sense to buy a .327 LCR as a first revolver right now, or would I be smarter to stick with a .38? I've never tried pocket carry and would kind of like to give it a try, even though those adjustable sights on the LCRx look appealing too. Perhaps after a decade reading P-F, I am finally ready to graduate to a pocket snubby. The .38 is nearly 1/4 pound lighter than the .327. That could be good and/or bad.

Going to send up the revolver Bat Signal here @jetfire
    My 327 LCR shoots to the sights out to 100 yards with Federal 85 grain JHP in 32 Magnum. With the Fiocchi 32 S&W it shoots about 1 inch low at 15 yards, and I've not had the opportunity to get it really cranked out to extreme distances. Darryl said his shoots dead nuts with the Buffalo Bore 32 wadcutters, which I believe since they're loaded closer to 32 Magnum pressures.

For those who own these guns, do they shoot to the sights? Are you seeing much point of impact shift between .32 Long target WC, .32 Long Buffalo Bore WC, and .32 H&R magnum 85 grain JHP?

Also, what kind of recoil impulse and blast are you perceiving with the .32 BB WC and the .32 magnum defensive loads? How do you think they would compare to a J frame or LCR firing FGMM .38 wadcutters?

I've never owned a revolver. Lately I've developed a strong urge to buy a .327 LCR, but they aren't cheap. I'd be in it over $700 after shipping and transfer fees, and then I still need to feed the little monster. A .38 LCR or 3" LCRx is about $150 cheaper and a basic J frame closer to $300 cheaper. I do have some single stage Lee reloading equipment that I picked up at a sale before everything went crazy. I've been meaning to take up the practice, but have been waiting for component price and availability to normalize. I'd only need to buy dies and consumables. I suppose this could be a good way to learn reloading.

Does it make sense to buy a .327 LCR as a first revolver right now, or would I be smarter to stick with a .38? I've never tried pocket carry and would kind of like to give it a try, even though those adjustable sights on the LCRx look appealing too. Perhaps after a decade reading P-F, I am finally ready to graduate to a pocket snubby. The .38 is nearly 1/4 pound lighter than the .327. That could be good and/or bad.

Going to send up the revolver Bat Signal here @jetfire

The recoil and blast of the 32 wc is fairly minimal to me. The 32 h&r is a bit more, probably close to or slightly above a 38wc. But a lot depends on your stocks too. The really small boot grips make even 32wc a bit spicy, while going up to the Rogers, the 32h&r is easy to shoot.

My advice for choosing 38 vs 32 would be if you already have a 38sp gun, then go for that as a snub. If you don't, then you amy as well get the 327. Ammo is about the same as 38sp, and gear will be equal, so all you are extra paying out is the gun cost. And if you don't like it, you can probably sell it here for close to what you paid.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I finally ordered one of these.

There must have been a recent shipment of the 327 LCRs from Ruger. More online retailers have them in stock, and prices often seem to be running about $60 to $100 less than I'd been seeing previously.

Also, LuckyGunner currently has Black Hills .32 H&R Magnum and some .32 S&W Long Wadcutter offerings at about the lowest prices I've seen in a while.

Site Supporter
    The first time I fired a full bore 327 in my SS 632 I was surprised at the recoil. I don't recall the brand as it was 2019. Some commercial brand - probably Federal. It was a bit of a slap and boom. I adapted to it though without a problem. It did startle folks.

Here's a couple good LCR 327 articles from RevolverGuy.com

The first covers some available accessories and shooting impressions with various factory loads.
    https://revolverguy.com/the-327-fede...num-ruger-lcr/

The second gets into reloading for the LCR 327. Of particular interest to me, he describes a budget practice load based on .32 H&R magnum, and a relatively light recoiling, hard cast trail load based on the .327, among others.
    https://revolverguy.com/homebrewing-...327-ruger-lcr/

The low-end .327 has me curious. Something in this range might be very handy in the LCR as an ultralight Midwestern trail gun. Buffalo Bore makes what they refer to as "HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P OUTDOORSMAN", but I've seen people having extraction problems on the YouTubes. Perhaps low-end .327 would do this job somewhat better.

A quote from the article:

"115 grain RNFP’s at 1000 fps from the LCR make a great outdoorsman load. Sasquatch studies ballistic tables, and won’t scoff at the .327 Federal Magnum with flat point cast bullets."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Now that I have one inbound, what are folks doing for ammo. I see LuckyGunner is a buck a round for practice ammo.
    Here's a couple good LCR 327 articles from RevolverGuy.com

The first covers some available accessories and shooting impressions with various factory loads.
    https://revolverguy.com/the-327-fede...num-ruger-lcr/

The second gets into reloading for the LCR 327. Of particular interest to me, he describes a budget practice load based on .32 H&R magnum, and a relatively light recoiling, hard cast trail load based on the .327, among others.
    https://revolverguy.com/homebrewing-...327-ruger-lcr/

The low-end .327 has me curious. Something in this range might be very handy in the LCR as an ultralight Midwestern trail gun. Buffalo Bore makes what they refer to as "HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P OUTDOORSMAN", but I've seen people having extraction problems on the YouTubes. Perhaps low-end .327 would do this job somewhat better.

A quote from the article:

"115 grain RNFP’s at 1000 fps from the LCR make a great outdoorsman load. Sasquatch studies ballistic tables, and won’t scoff at the .327 Federal Magnum with flat point cast bullets."
    K-Mac is one of my favorite people in the world. I have and do trust him with my life, and the lives of my children...those pages are now bookmarked....

pat

User Tag List