Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up my 442 for pocket carry

Setting up my 442 for pocket carry

I’ve finally gotten over my intense dislike of short pants (Texas will do that to you,) and I have been starting to wear cargo shorts. My pocket carry gun the last few years in jeans has been a G42, but I’d like to get back to one of my J frames with wadcutters in the cylinder and a reload or two of JHP. My choices are a satin nickel 442 or my early +P+ marked 640. The Airweight makes sense to me.

It seems like Aholster is well respected, so I went ahead and ordered one of their Backbone models. I’m a sucker for a deal, so when they popped up a discount on their Bactrian double speedloader holster at checkout I went ahead and added one of those, too.

What is the preferred J frame speedloader these days? My only experience is very old, Safarilands for K frames and HKS for others - I rely more on speed strips. I think I’d prefer a push to load type instead of twist, but I’m open minded given that pockets are only so big.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Speed strips with my J, 442 in a Nemesis, or 642 in a Galco horsehide or Aholster Backbone.

I have an HKS. I haven’t found a good way to make it work reliably as the reload. With some grips, it is impossible.

Speed strips for the win.

(I'm sure others have differing preferences.)

You'll like the Aholster. Just remember, it has no retention, just a slick draw and good presentation.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane

Dry fire to smooth out the trigger. I would be reluctant to take a whole lot off of the system as I value maximum ignition reliability relative to a lighter/smoother pull.

Particularly, as for me, a J frame is a 7 yrd gun for me max. YMMV on that greatly depending on your vision and work on the platform etc.

When you find the brand/cut/size of shorts that works for you with a quality pocket holster ( DeSantis/Mika/Blue Force Gear/DIY from a milk jug etc), buy multiple pairs.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I wear Duluth Fire Hose Flex cargo shorts. I'm right handed and these shorts have a weird little pocket sewn into the bottom of the right front slash pocket in which the barrel of a 2-inch snub fits perfectly in - no holster necessary. The "barrel pocket" keeps the snub in the same orientation, and the deepness of the front slash pocket retains it. I have yet to encounter any problems pocket carrying a snub sans holster in these shorts while performing many activities, in many different body positions. Like the name implies, the fabric easily flexes with your movements. I don't even notice I have a snub in my pocket. The thickness of the cloth, the way it drapes, and the vicinity of the cargo pocket all help to minimize and breakup printing - especially in the camo pattern shorts.

Back in the 80s I carried a 4" S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman .357 Magnum on patrol and the only speedloader I could get locally was HKS, and I have a lot of experience with them. I like the "turn knob to release" design, although I confess having no experience with the "push knob to release" speedloaders. Needless to say, I use HKS speedloaders with my snubs, supplemented with Tuff Products Quickstrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I wear Duluth Fire Hose Flex cargo shorts. I'm right handed and these shorts have a weird little pocket sewn into the bottom of the right front slash pocket in which the barrel of a 2-inch snub fits perfectly in - no holster necessary. The "barrel pocket" keeps the snub in the same orientation, and the deepness of the front slash pocket retains it. I have yet to encounter any problems pocket carrying a snub sans holster in these shorts while performing many activities, in many different body positions. Like the name implies, the fabric easily flexes with your movements. I don't even notice I have a snub in my pocket. The thickness of the cloth, the way it drapes, and the vicinity of the cargo pocket all help to minimize and breakup printing...

I wear the same shorts, as well as the long pants version, but I still use an Aholster in that same right front pocket with the little "coin" pocket built in.
    (More from keeping the gun free of lint and any debris more than worrying about snag or such.

(I have to admit, however, that I more often carry AIWB than in pocket, but I like both methods.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    For pocket carrying a snub the Kramer pocket holster is the best I've found. I have one for J-Frames and one for my LCR's. I usually only use speed strips for a reload, but mine are mostly carried as a second gun or just around the house. I do plan on ordering some Speedbeez loaders for my 327's.

When I pocket carry, it's my 642 in a PCS Blackbird. My 642 has an Apex Duty/Carry kit and Titanium cylinder. Make for a smooth and relatively light trigger and it's light in the pocket.

Safariland Comp1 is my preferred speed loader for the Bactrian.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

If you have the room to carry them and appropriate clearance on your grips, Jetloaders are the best thing currently made:

https://www.pistoleer.com/jetloader/#TOP

Like all the round speedloaders they work better on older J's with the cylinder stop stud (not the right terminology) versus the newer J's with just a ledge on the frame. They can be fiddly with the newer J's but still the fastest surest solution.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

(I have to admit, however, that I more often carry AIWB than in pocket, but I like both methods.)
    Blues, what's your preferred AIWB holster for small frame revolvers?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List