Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NP3 Update

Has anyone done any recent TiN or TiCN coating to their stuff? I have always wanted to but never got around to it. I am curious what the options are since it could be a good alternative to NP3.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm still trying to confirm that CPII isn't just a nickel boron coating like FailZero or WMD, since nickel boron coatings tend to have less favorable reviews that electroless nickel PFTE composites like NP3. Some of my Googling suggests that there is a difference between electroless nickel boron and an electroless nickel boron nitride composite, but haven't found anything firm.

@CCR Refinishing
    @CCR Refinishing hasn't logged in since last October, which you probably knew.

I couldn't see anything that tied CPII to a spec and I don't recall seeing the word propietary either. Have you seen other vendors offering the finish?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    @CCR Refinishing hasn't logged in since last October, which you probably knew.

I couldn't see anything that tied CPII to a spec and I don't recall seeing the word propietary either. Have you seen other vendors offering the finish?
    Electroless nickel boron nitride finishes seem to be offered by many vendors, including many that seem to do only bulk stuff. The same can be said about electroless nickel PTFE composites. For example, Nutmeg Chrome Corporation offers both: https://nutmegchrome.com/product/boron-nitride/ and https://nutmegchrome.com/product/slik-shot/

I'm sure that NP3 has some tweaks compared to other competitors such as Slik Shot, but I'd also wager that each company does their own little tweaks to claim an edge over others, so... yeah. I wonder if some of the issues with the nickel boron coatings (e.g., NiB-X, WMD's EXO coatings, etc.) were more an issue of QA/QC, improper execution, or slightly off composition that is the root cause, rather than any inherent weakness of nickel boron compared to NP3.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-17-2022 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Electroless nickel boron nitride finishes seem to be offered by many vendors, including many that seem to do only bulk stuff. The same can be said about electroless nickel PTFE composites. For example, Nutmeg Chrome Corporation offers both: https://nutmegchrome.com/product/boron-nitride/ and https://nutmegchrome.com/product/slik-shot/
    The Slik Shot page, doesn't mention that THEY own the patent, so it could possibly be CT's blend. At least the way read it.

That said, I believe some of the mods have issues here with CCR, while several of the users here, have used them (myself included). My view is CCR is a cost effective, alternative and you can still add teflon by using it in your lube (for example one inexpensive one I have been using on one firearm to test, is Superlube).

Seems like a good reason to just do hard chrome instead. Objectively it's one of the best firearm coatings on the planet in pretty much every way but it's also one of the most seldom seen

CPII is a Electroless Nickel composite plating process containing Boron Nitride as a lubricant. NP3 was a Electroless Nickel containing Teflon as a lubricant

We choose Boron Nitride as a lubricating agent as it is long lasting an
    does not degrade like Teflon at temps

We have been refinishing firearms for 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Peart View Post
    Seems like a good reason to just do hard chrome instead. Objectively it's one of the best firearm coatings on the planet in pretty much every way but it's also one of the most seldom seen
    Personally, I don't care for HC. Based on the pics I've seen, (I've never seen the finish in person), it's a 'brighter' finish. If I saw it in person, maybe I'd think differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Personally, I don't care for HC. Based on the pics I've seen, (I've never seen the finish in person), it's a 'brighter' finish. If I saw it in person, maybe I'd think differently?
    Perhaps you've stated this in a separate thread but can you tell us which parts you're looking to plate and why?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Peart View Post
    My two 1911s (Colt Series 70 Gubmint Model and Combat Commander) have been hard chromed since I used to carry them here in south Louisiana. It kept them from rusting and looks pretty good. It had no effect on function, though the frame rails got nice and shiny after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Perhaps you've stated this in a separate thread but can you tell us which parts you're looking to plate and why?
    I had NP3+ applied to my P30 back in early '20, but right now I'm not planning to coat anything; I was just sharing the info that I got from CT.

The info above about Nutmeg looks very interesting, and I emailed them, just to inquire about their process (shipping the gun, etc.) and pricing, since there is no mention as to how any of that works.

If I did another gun, or parts, I'd also consider CCR.

NP3 is amazing, but the process was a PIA!...and my experience with Wright Armory was not great, so if there is a quicker, easier option to getting something like this done, it would be nice to know there's an alternative. I had spoken to Debbie at CT, and she was very nice, so the problems in my case were with WA and the process of them tearing down my gun, getting the parts to CT, then getting them back, reassembling my gun (incorrectly) and getting it back in my hands. I documented this fiasco in another thread.

User Tag List