Thread: AR recommendation

AR recommendation

I have a friend, who lives in Washington state, looking to buy his first AR. I haven't really kept up with what is the best value in a quality AR, and am looking for a recommendation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Tombstone Tactical has the Colt 6960 for $1000. That’s the mid-length gas one with the lightweight 16” barrel. The current ones seem to be a little less refined as the handguard is the modified Centurion CMR from the Colt Troopers instead of the regular one and they have a USGI stock and pistol grip instead of the Magpul furniture of the originals. Still, it’s a solid setup that would be good to go out of the box minus a sighting system.

ETA: Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore has the 6920 Enhanced Patrol Rifle for $1180. It’s got the CMR rail with the QD holes, a SOPMOD stock and Magpul MBUS Pro sights. I think these have the regular carbine-length gas system and 16” government profile barrel.

In this market, I think those are both solid deals. Most BCMs look to be out of stock everywhere I normally look and the next tier of brands like SOLGW and Daniel Defense are substantially more expensive if price is a factor. What is your friend comfortable spending?
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 03-16-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Geissele is with looking into. They cost more than Colt, but I have seen them in stock at some places within the last couple of weeks.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

When I was recently looking for a budget AR ended up saving some money by purchasing a Windham complete upper and a Aero complete lower.

I am recommending a $1,000 +/- budget, and the Colt options look good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Geissele is with looking into. They cost more than Colt, but I have seen them in stock at some places within the last couple of weeks.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    Geissele is what I just picked up. More than I was planning on spending but the cheaper options available weren’t names I was comfortable with.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. After discussing it with my friend, he went the buy once, cry once route, and is ordering a 6920 enhanced.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. After discussing it with my friend, he went the buy once, cry once route, and is ordering a 6920 enhanced.
    That will serve him well.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Solid choice. Guide him into getting a decent light, red dot and sling and all he’ll need is ammo and magazines.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List