Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AWIB without an........appendix

AWIB without an........appendix

So ~3 weeks ago on a Saturday after eating lunch I started to feel some abdominal pain. I thought it was the leftover Chinese food but as the day progressed it got worse and then added a fever, disorientation, and walking like an old man to the symptom list. After the kids went to bed my Pharmacist wife asked specifically where it hurt and I said my right side.

"Good," she said, "because your appendix is on your left side."

Five minutes (and a little Googling) later she came back and said, "I was wrong, we are going to the hospital." And in a rare occurrence I actually listened. So by early Sunday morning I was sans appendix*. It was a laparoscopic surgery (no rupture or perforations) and I seem to be recovering well. I will still have an occasional twinge of pain but much of the soreness has subsided. I was told 6 weeks before I could start lifting more than 10-lbs. I have tried to follow the advice, as frustrating as it is. I had to fly last week and I noticed some "discomfort" after carrying my bag through the airport so that is probably a good reminder for me to listen.

Anyone else have this done and happen to carry AWIB? Just wondering how long I should wait to going back and this isn't polite conversation to ask at my follow up at a University hospital. Admittedly part of it is physical but probably a significant portion is psychological in terms of my hesitancy.

I work in a downtown area and with the weather warming up "folks" are coming out of hibernation. I need to retrieve my j-frame from the safe for some pocket carry I suppose.

*A couple of the medical folks both in the hospital as well as friends have said that there has been an increase in appendicitis recently. Not sure if it is 'rona, vaccines, masks, the government computer chip, or the Russians but several folks mentioned it. No idea if it is true.

I had my appendix out as a kid so can't help you there.

I would try carrying around the house to see if it's tolerable. Maybe try loosening the belt.

Site Supporter
    So I'm surprised at all the restrictions you had. I was probably 27 when I got mine taken out laparoscopically as well. They told me I could do anything I wanted as soon as I felt like I could. I was at a cookout 24 hours later and working out within 48.

It was a little tender and sore sometimes but no big deal. I honestly don't remember if I was carrying AIWB at that point but I still had/have some owb/iwb holster for 3 o'clock for things like this. If nothing else, OWB will probably be fine.

I’ve been having issues with AIWB and even IWB for months now. I have a hipbone to hipbone surgical incision scar that has gotten very sensitive to touch and pressure. I’ve gone 100% OWB, at least for now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    this isn't polite conversation to ask at my follow up at a University hospital. Admittedly part of it is physical but probably a significant portion is psychological in terms of my hesitancy.
    FWIW..... I think you should ask your Dr.
    We don't know the details on your medical case like your Dr does.

I had similar hesitancy a few years ago while doing PT for a lower back injury. Took me a few sessions before I screwed up the courage to ask my Dr if AIWB was contributing to my pain or hindering my recovery. She considered it for a minute, told me definitely not, in a way that I believed, and that was that.

Honestly, I felt a bit childish afterwards for not asking sooner. I'm paying them for their time, I may as well get my questions answered.

Start with.... Hey Doc, I've got a politically sensitive question to ask you.... See that scar, that spot is where I normally carry a firearm (don't say gun.. it scares folks.. firearm is more reassuring)... Do you have any thoughts on when I can go back to doing that?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    So I'm surprised at all the restrictions you had. I was probably 27 when I got mine taken out laparoscopically as well. They told me I could do anything I wanted as soon as I felt like I could. I was at a cookout 24 hours later and working out within 48.
    I was at work the next day (office job) but will occasionally notice a twinge when moving something around. I'm 45 so probably a little slower recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW..... I think you should ask your Dr.
    We don't know the details on your medical case like your Dr does.

I had similar hesitancy a few years ago while doing PT for a lower back injury. Took me a few sessions before I screwed up the courage to ask my Dr if AIWB was contributing to my pain or hindering my recovery. She considered it for a minute, told me definitely not, in a way that I believed, and that was that.

Honestly, I felt a bit childish afterwards for not asking sooner. I'm paying them for their time, I may as well get my questions answered.

Start with.... Hey Doc, I've got a politically sensitive question to ask you.... See that scar, that spot is where I normally carry a firearm (don't say gun.. it scares folks.. firearm is more reassuring)... Do you have any thoughts on when I can go back to doing that?
    Good thoughts. Most of the docs I saw at the hospital where dudes with beards so probably not a problem there.

I had my appendix removed (along with 6” of small intestine, 40% of my colon and 27 lymph nodes) cut me from my belt line to the bottom of my did cage. I was back carrying AIWB within a month

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I was at work the next day (office job) but will occasionally notice a twinge when moving something around. I'm 45 so probably a little slower recovery.
    Probably very Dr Dependent too. I had an ER trauma surgeon who had got called in for something way more serious and did mine on the side. He probably was not impressed

A friend performed a hernia repair in the same area on me a few years ago. I asked him at my first follow up and he said whenever comfortable to do so. I think it was a few months before I was comfortable carrying AIWB.

User Tag List