Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yeager terminally ill, going to fight in Ukraine

Yeager terminally ill, going to fight in Ukraine

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    I would not wish ALS on anyone, So I won’t question Yeagers sincerity. However, he’s a sick old man that doesn’t speak the language has no prior military experience and no special skills from a military POV.

The Ukrainians will not take him and if he goes over there on his own he’s likely to get someone besides himself killed.

For reference, the Ukrainian have only only accepted about 100 out of 6,000 US applicants. All of those excepted our prior military with critical skills such as pilots maintainers and technicians, and medical.

I’ve never trained with Yeager, but I know people that respect him. My uncle died of ALS, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

That was a hard video to watch.

I have to admit that I got choked up when he said he didn't want to die a 85 pound husk laying in his bed.

Site Supporter
    Jesus Christ that was tough to watch. I don't know that's a great idea, but I can see not wanting to deteriorate slowly (or quickly) and wanting to take a shot at reclaiming what honor he may feel he lost in the controversies of his youth.

But the objective medical professional in me says that he won't have the strength to fight. Merely the will. And while the will can be strong, a degenerative neuromuscular disorder like his (he already seems to suffer tremors and what seem to be involuntary movements) will rob him of mobility, dexterity, and clarity at an alarming rate.

Nevertheless, his perspective on the overall picture of his life seems positive. I wish him comfort and peace as he walks towards the end of his story. Whatever conclusion it may be.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Sucks he's going through that but also sucks he's going to Ukraine. He tried this once before in Iraq and F'd up pretty bad. Got some people hurt. Somewhere online there is an after action report of his screwup

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Yeager and I have a history that is not positive, but if there is anything that would make me stop making jokes about ditches, it is finding out he has ALS.

I deal with people who have ALS frequently at work. If I am ever diagnosed, I will be grateful that the state of Oregon has ways for me to make a graceful exit before my wife has to spend her life taking care of a hunk of immobile meat, while still making her eligible for life insurance.

Having said that, fuck that guy. He is still trying to make it all about him. The idea he is going to go to Ukraine is stupid and ridiculous. If he wastes even a minute of a Ukrainian official’s time with his bullshit, he is wrong. They have more important things to think about.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

That's pretty sad. I hope he finds comfort and support from his family & friends. Every patient should have the option of dying with dignity. I don't know if he acted with it when he was healthy; and I seriously doubt he will find it in Ukraine.

This reminds me of the parable of the scorpion and the turtle.

This is gonna have me nominated for #COTM but am I the only one thinking suicide by Russian?

User Tag List