Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yeager terminally ill, going to fight in Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I remember years ago when I decided to become serious on carrying a gun. I attended one of his classes. In it, he did what was called “The box drill”. To say it reset my OODA Loop and sent me on my journey would be an understatement.
    James Yeager's online persona has certainly not been my cup of tea at times. However, Paul Gomez and Andy Stanford were close associates of his, Paul having been an instructor at his school, which certainly shouldn't be discounted idly.

Speaking of the box drill, Andy Stanford, and Tactical Response, here is a video of Andy at Tactical Response explaining the history of 'the evolution of training' from his perspective. I'll try to link the timestamp where he references what I believe are the origins of this drill. It's an entertaining and informative video; those interested in such topics will likely enjoy watching it from the beginning. Tactical Response has surely put out some wonderful content over the years to go along with some cringy rants.

I wish James all the best. I also hope his legacy of Tactical Response continues to grow and evolve into the future. They've probably trained more Americans in skill at arms than most outfits could ever hope to accomplish. That's no small thing.

God bless James Yeager...I never thought I would put that in writing but no one should have to go through ALS. I didn't watch the video, I don't think I could take it right now as my father is also battling ALS. The decline is terrible. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at how helpful the VA has been. Prayers for Yeager and all who battle ALS.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    As far as Yeager goes, I don't hate him or dislike him with the fervor that a bunch of people on the internet do. Back in the heyday of the "ERMAGHERD HE HID IN A DITCH DID YOU SEE HIM HIDE IN THE DITCH" posting every time his name was mentioned, a guy with the username IraqNinja who was the owner/operator of a security contracting company over there, not to be confused with IraqGunz aka Will Larson, on M4C laid out a very nuanced response to the situation as he was over there at the time of the incident and had more firsthand information than anyone posting in the thread. That's not to say that his actions did or didn't directly result in loss of life, but it seems to be more complex than he simply hid in a ditch. I don't know though, I wasn't there and I don't know anyone who was. If anyone has any firsthand information about it, I'm all ears and would love to hear about it. PM would be fine.
    I looked upon this incident as, he was a cop and he did what cops do when they're shot at - he sought cover. It seems to be a training issue instead of cowardice.

IIRC, the incident was a machinegun version of shoot-and-scoot by the attackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I didn't watch the video, I don't think I could take it right now as my father is also battling ALS. The decline is terrible. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at how helpful the VA has been. Prayers for Yeager and all who battle ALS.
    Dude, I’m sorry to hear this. As mentioned upthread, I know what the decline looks like. Thoughts and prayers, FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Dude, I’m sorry to hear this. As mentioned upthread, I know what the decline looks like. Thoughts and prayers, FWIW.
    Thanks man. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and prayers. It's going to be a tough road but by God's grace he'll get through it with peace.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Thanks man. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and prayers. It's going to be a tough road but by God's grace he'll get through it with peace.
    @Totem Polar

My brother-in-law (who was also a college buddy) is dealing with a steady case of ALS too, about 6 years along now.
    I couldn't watch Yeager's video either.

My understanding and best wishes to you both, and to your dad, Irelander.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Seems like he is doing okay.

I have never met Yeager but a coworker’s husband came down with ALS and it was tragic seeing his decline one year short of retirement.

They had a lot of plans and he was a big strong guy. Terrible disease.

Fuck ALS.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I looked upon this incident as, he was a cop and he did what cops do when they're shot at - he sought cover. It seems to be a training issue instead of cowardice.

IIRC, the incident was a machinegun version of shoot-and-scoot by the attackers.
    It was, and to be clear, my issues with Yeager have nothing to do with his Iraq history. I think a bunch of folks were working as contractors at the time who maybe shouldn't have been, and were set up to fail by the companies they worked for.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

It's been 10 plus years now but I heard firsthand from someone (relatively well known trainer) whom Yeager had sought advice from *before* going to Iraq and IIRC essentially told him he was not qualified to go there to do what he was doing but he went anyway and things went sideways. That plus his range safety issues (not to mention the other stuff) made it hard for me to ever take the guy seriously. But that type of illness isn't something I'd wish on anyone.

User Tag List