Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Whiskey

Irish Whiskey

Since it's St. Patrick's Day eve and we don't have an Irish Whiskey thread...

Name:  Bush_single_malt.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  44.9 KB

While reading the late Marcus Wynne's works, I couldn't help but note that several of his protagonists favored Bushmills Single Malt Irish Whiskey aka Green Label. Picked up a bottle and am looking forward to a taste.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

In the spirit:

Once I was invited to an after hours briefing at RNAS Culdrose (Cornwall, England), by our Royal Navy Flight Simulator Liason Officer, Leftenant Commander X. During our discussion, X proceeded to open his desk drawer, asking me if I'd like a cup of Wobbly Coffee. I said, sure, that would be great. I took a sip and it was excellent, full of flavor.

Actually it was full of Irish Whiskey. I don't recall exactly how the briefing went, but it was a very enjoyable evening.

To yer' health!

Margaret Rudkin Old Pepperidge Farm Cookbook

Bread Pudding, soaking the raisins overnight in some Jameson Whiskey enhances flavor. Maybe a nip or two while prepping. Found it best to to add a shot over the top just before serving is best. (adding whiskey is not on the ingredients list)

Attachment 86104Attachment 86105

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    (adding whiskey is not on the ingredients list)
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Since it's St. Patrick's Day eve and we don't have an Irish Whiskey thread...
    ... Bushmills
    Protestant whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    ... Jameson Whiskey ...
    Catholic whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Protestant whiskey

Catholic whiskey

Both...agnostic whiskey.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    If you haven't tried it before, I really liked Slane Irish Whiskey. It's a little bit different than Jameson or Bushmills. Very affordable and pleasant. Goes really well with a pint of Guinness or Murphys.

They mix three batches, one aged in virgin oak, one in seasoned whiskey barrels (Jack Daniels) and one in Oloroso sherry. It has a very distinctive flavor, I quite like it.

It probably didn't hurt that I had one of their brand ambassador, a charismatic irish bard, taking my group to the best Irish pubs in Boston, telling stories, drinking pints and oversized shots and having Mr. Brown-Forman pay for the experience. They got their money's worth, possibly just from me.

Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Protestant whiskey

Catholic whiskey
    That's how it was taught to me, by a University Professor from Derry.

Regular Jameson is indeed a good place to start, and should not be relegated to merely being an ingredient in "Irish Car Bombs" for co-eds and frat bros. Also, if you ever happen to be *in* Ireland, do not order and "Irish Car Bomb", unless you'd very much like to be in a fight.

Jameson Caskmates is the, proverbial, next step up and it's wonderful. Best to stick to the original "Stout Edition" here. I've shared Caskmates Stout Edition with friends who "don't care for Jameson". This quickly had them singing a very different tune and searching their phones for where to get it.

Jameson Black Barrel is my favorite. It can hang with much more up-market names, but it's very reasonably priced and some of the smoothest Irish whiskey I've had. *IF* you can find Jameson 18, it's going to be more expensive (not that long ago, it was $98 a bottle) and I don't care to pay the rarity upcharge. But, it is great.

I've not had anything by Redbreast, but I'm given to understand that, it's the next step in the Irish whiskey journey.

May the Road Rise Up to Meet You...

I second the recommendation for Slane. Really nice.

Sexton is very good, often at a decent price.

Bang for your buck, nothing beats Tullamore DEW imho.

Site Supporter
    A much older, very Irish, Whisky-savvy, gent recommended this to me at Specs.

I may try some tonight along with a lamb stew that's in the crocpot.

Double oaked in bourbon and sherry casks.

Name:  12705300086814.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  25.5 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List