Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Protestant whiskey

Catholic whiskey
    Spiritual Whiskey.

I like Tullimore Dew.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I like Tullimore Dew.
    Good stuff.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Good stuff.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    That's how it was taught to me, by a University Professor from Derry.

Regular Jameson is indeed a good place to start, and should not be relegated to merely being an ingredient in "Irish Car Bombs" for co-eds and frat bros. Also, if you ever happen to be *in* Ireland, do not order and "Irish Car Bomb", unless you'd very much like to be in a fight.

Jameson Caskmates is the, proverbial, next step up and it's wonderful. Best to stick to the original "Stout Edition" here. I've shared Caskmates Stout Edition with friends who "don't care for Jameson". This quickly had them singing a very different tune and searching their phones for where to get it.

Jameson Black Barrel is my favorite. It can hang with much more up-market names, but it's very reasonably priced and some of the smoothest Irish whiskey I've had. *IF* you can find Jameson 18, it's going to be more expensive (not that long ago, it was $98 a bottle) and I don't care to pay the rarity upcharge. But, it is great.

I've not had anything by Redbreast, but I'm given to understand that, it's the next step in the Irish whiskey journey.

May the Road Rise Up to Meet You...
    Just picked up the Caskmates Stout and Black Barrel. Tried a small nip of both. Fantastic! Thanks for the recommendations!

Site Supporter
    I picked up some Guinness Extra Stout to go with the Stout Edition Jameson’s.

I'm part way through a bottle of Knappogue Castle single malt, a favorite of mine. There's a bottle of Powers Gold Label on the bench when the KC's gone. Truth to tell - a strange phrase to use on St. Patrick's Day - I find the regular Bushmill's quite acceptable. For the moment I'm not tasting any whiskey/whisky, because Lent! What was I thinking?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    That's how it was taught to me, by a University Professor from Derry.

Regular Jameson is indeed a good place to start, and should not be relegated to merely being an ingredient in "Irish Car Bombs" for co-eds and frat bros. Also, if you ever happen to be *in* Ireland, do not order and "Irish Car Bomb", unless you'd very much like to be in a fight.

Jameson Caskmates is the, proverbial, next step up and it's wonderful. Best to stick to the original "Stout Edition" here. I've shared Caskmates Stout Edition with friends who "don't care for Jameson". This quickly had them singing a very different tune and searching their phones for where to get it.

Jameson Black Barrel is my favorite. It can hang with much more up-market names, but it's very reasonably priced and some of the smoothest Irish whiskey I've had. *IF* you can find Jameson 18, it's going to be more expensive (not that long ago, it was $98 a bottle) and I don't care to pay the rarity upcharge. But, it is great.

I've not had anything by Redbreast, but I'm given to understand that, it's the next step in the Irish whiskey journey.

May the Road Rise Up to Meet You...
    Jameson Black for me as well!
    Shumba

Time for a bump. St. Paddy's is right around the corner.

I've tried a bunch of new stuff since 2020. Learned a lot about my tastes. (simple and frugal)

My favorites are Powers Gold Label, Jameson Black Barrel, Tullamore DEW, Teelings Small Batch, and Jameson Caskmates Stout. The Bushmills stuff is nice but seems to give me heartburn.

The single malts and all the high priced stuff is lost on me. Thankfully. I did enjoy my Redbreast, but would not rebuy for the price.

Jameson's or Tullamore Dew are fine for me, though my wife drinks the Irish offerings more than I do...tending to the Scottish single malts myself, ordinarily.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List