Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2022: New Rule Book

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    The new rule is just to address seeing targets intended to be at cover and engaged from a separate fault line. This usually happens with poorly designed stages 🥴

That reply didn't come from anyone at IDPA. Just a dude explaining the rule in his own way
    I thought it was so gamers could position to take shots from that fault line and then with no movement or efficient movement take shots at the next targets in the course of fire. Or maybe thats the same thing.

The change is fine. They just need to wack anyone saying that the both feet need to be within that fault line distance, else it creates another vague issue. If thats the case put in a box already.

Site Supporter
    This whole “issue” can and should be avoided through proper stage design.
    If a shooter can stand in a particular place (not designated as cover), and see a threat, they can (and should) shoot it.
    So if I shoot an array from a cover fault line, then step outside of that zone and see another threat, it should be shot then and there.
    A properly designed stage will prevent this from happening if it is not a desired option.
    Further, the best stages have several ways to run them, and it’s useful so have some where you can save time and movement by taking long range shots, or choosing to advance to a point of cover closer to the threats before engaging them. The risk/reward calculus can be further influenced by putting non-threats near the threats that there is an option to engage from longer range.

As others have said, if you must shoot T1-T4 from a very defined P1 (for example), just put a box there. And call it “The USPSA Stage”.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Just got this from my area coordinator:

STEPPING PAST THE END OF A FAULT LINE & FAULT LINE LENGTH
    Understanding this new rule and when to apply a PE you must consider the target arrays and the context of the stage. Rule 3.6.7 reads: "Nested / Overlapping Fault Lines: Shooters shall not advance across fault lines in a way that exposes them to unengaged targets. Fault lines are not cover themselves. They restrict movement beyond a shooting position for unengaged targets which are exposed to the shooter."

- First, no PE may be given for simply stepping over or behind the end of a fault line unless a shot was also made while touching the other side.
    - Secondly, the purpose of this rule is to prevent shooters from gaining access to other targets not intended to be engaged from that shooting position. This makes the rule subject to stage design and context.
    - Use Case #1: Shooter is shooting behind single wall/barricade with a single fault line at P1 on one side and only has to shoot targets behind the wall, then no PE would apply for using far cover because the shooter is not exposed to any unengaged targets beyond the single array.
    - Use Case #2: Shooter is shooting behind single wall/barricade with a single fault line and only has to shoot targets behind the wall. To the right is another wall where the shooter must move to engage more targets behind cover at P2. Before leaving P1, the shooter steps to far cover past the end of the fault line and engages a target that is related to the POC at P2. That deserves the PE. Either foot that steps past the end of the fault line that enables a shooter to engage that target gets the PE. To make it clear, it should be the whole foot.
    - This means that match directors need to design stages with fault lines that keep shooters from attempting to use far cover for targets unrelated to that position of cover. An easy way to enforce that is to put a barrel there, or nail down a rear fault line. But again, violating that rear fault line doesn't get a PE unless there is another target that could be engaged that is unrelated to that shooting position.

A simpler way to say this is: A PE is deserved when a shooter steps behind the end of a fault line and is exposed to multiple arrays to skip setting up to shoot in other positions. Another way to say this is: Misuse of a fault line to take a shot on a target unrelated to that position of cover.

- This means that match directors need to design stages with fault lines that keep shooters from attempting to use far cover for targets unrelated to that position of cover.
    One of my MDs is laying out stages with vision barriers and cover walls that DIRECT you to move on a particular route or routes to engage all the targets IN HIS MIND. But he does not put out enough obstacles to FORCE you to move that way to find all the targets.

This inclines me to "break down the stage" (USPSA-speak) so as to minimize movement regardless of his INTENTIONS.
    After the last of these exercises, he wryly commented "It was amazing to see you standing at the back of the stage shooting Zeros." (Actually I had dropped 3 points.) I was using that sneaky "far cover" for several of those targets rather than taking a convoluted route to his favored position.

If he sees this post, no doubt he will start putting in rear fault lines to make me trudge through a track meet stage. I might have to start stepping them off to see if he is requiring too much total movement.

I have seen stages with firing positions specified by fiat, "Targets 4,5, and 6 are only "available" from "over there" even though they are clearly visible and safely shootable from "right here." At one time that was specifically barred from stage design but these things come and go.

The quoted AC is sure using the term "deserves" a lot. You only "deserve a PE" when you contravene a specific provision of the rules or CoF.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Nevermind. Found the answer to my question.

We don't seem to have the problem at the 2 clubs I shoot at. There is a question sometimes but usually the directions for each stage include something like 'from P1 engage T3-T5'. Last Saturday there were a lot of questions at one stage so we grabbed the guy who set it up. He realized that he could have explained it better so added a few notes to the stage sheet. Fortunately we were the first squad to shoot that stage so everyone got the same revised directions. I see this often as the difference between setting up a stage on the PC vs how it turns out in reality. I like it when, from each position we can see only what we should shoot at, but reality is that we don't have enough walls to do that for every stage.

I intend to shoot a match this weekend. I looked through the rule book and it appears I can shoot CO with my G19 + 507C + TLR8. Can I leave my magwell on the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I intend to shoot a match this weekend. I looked through the rule book and it appears I can shoot CO with my G19 + 507C + TLR8. Can I leave my magwell on the gun?
    USPSA CO = no external magwells, the magwell would push you to Open, unless they changed the rules again while I was not looking....which has happened several times now

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    USPSA CO = no external magwells, the magwell would push you to Open, unless they changed the rules again while I was not looking....which has happened several times now
    Wasn't he asking about IDPA, and I am also curious about the answer?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    CO employs ESP rules, so yes.

A.7 Carry Optics Division
    A.7.1 Handguns permitted:
    A.7.1.1 Handguns, associated modifications, restrictions, holsters, magazine carriers, calibers, start condition,
    and division capacity shall be compliant with ESP Division requirements, except as it relates to sights,
    lasers and overall weight.
    A.7.1.2 Maximum weight including empty magazine will not exceed 45 ounces.
    A.7.1.3 Firearms used in this division must be equipped with an optical sight system in order to compete this
    division.
    A.7.2 Optics suitable for this division fall under two categories with different restrictions on how they are
    mounted to the firearm.
    A.7.2.1 Passive: These include Miniature Red Dot and Reflex sights suitable for concealed every day carry (EDC).
    They project or reflect a dot onto the optic. Passive Optics (MRDS) must be attached directly to upper
    between rear of upper and ejection port.
    A.7.2.2 Active: These are Red or Green LASER sights that project a dot onto the target. Active LASER sights are
    permitted to be mounted on the frame of the firearm. Typical locations can be the rail or the pistol grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    CO employs ESP rules, so yes.

A.7 Carry Optics Division
    A.7.1 Handguns permitted:
    A.7.1.1 Handguns, associated modifications, restrictions, holsters, magazine carriers, calibers, start condition,
    and division capacity shall be compliant with ESP Division requirements, except as it relates to sights,
    lasers and overall weight.
    A.7.1.2 Maximum weight including empty magazine will not exceed 45 ounces.
    A.7.1.3 Firearms used in this division must be equipped with an optical sight system in order to compete this
    division.
    A.7.2 Optics suitable for this division fall under two categories with different restrictions on how they are
    mounted to the firearm.
    A.7.2.1 Passive: These include Miniature Red Dot and Reflex sights suitable for concealed every day carry (EDC).
    They project or reflect a dot onto the optic. Passive Optics (MRDS) must be attached directly to upper
    between rear of upper and ejection port.
    A.7.2.2 Active: These are Red or Green LASER sights that project a dot onto the target. Active LASER sights are
    permitted to be mounted on the frame of the firearm. Typical locations can be the rail or the pistol grip.
    So to confirm, ESP allows a mag well?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List