Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022: New Rule Book

There were a number of bellybutton holsters at yesterday's match near here. No groin wounds.

The MD had previously said he would not go to 2022 rules until May, so I took my soon to be obsolete CCP-8 for one last ride. But he changed his mind and ran new rules allowing CCP-10 and CoFs to match which several times put my old gun at a disadvantage.
    But I was the first to demonstrate the Last Round Reload which got a lot of attention and people started using it where advantageous.

So, new rules published in a rule book, but no training program for SO’s on the new rules.
    That here, too, scheduled for 7 May. And a bass ackward schedule at that:
    1. Take a www test based on 2017 rules before the day.
    2. Run shooters in a match based on 2022 rules.
    3. Hear a lecture based on 2017 rules but with addenda on 2022 changes.

I recall a better transition to the 2017 book, it is not like they do not know how to convert.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

And, I think you have to recertify as CSO every other year; my certification lapsed a week before the new book was released, so I'll probably have to recertify twice in the span of a month, if the new test is soon available.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    And, I think you have to recertify as CSO every other year; my certification lapsed a week before the new book was released, so I'll probably have to recertify twice in the span of a month, if the new test is soon available.
    I have a hard time imagining that every SO is going to have to retest once the new test comes out.
    More likely those who recerted this year will just take the new test the next time they are due.

I just got my SO certification back in February. I've only been SO at local matches so far and we are trying out the new rules. The only challenges I've had are the foul lines. It appears some think 8 feet is how far the line extends even if the physical line doesn't. I have to explain to them that the length of the foul like is the length of the foul line.

We have been running the new rules since announced. There have been no major issues so far. Frankly the difference is purely meh.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackRider54 View Post
    I just got my SO certification back in February. I've only been SO at local matches so far and we are trying out the new rules. The only challenges I've had are the foul lines. It appears some think 8 feet is how far the line extends even if the physical line doesn't. I have to explain to them that the length of the foul like is the length of the foul line.
    That new rule has caused some drama on Facebook. The fault line still extends to the stage boundary / infinity

From Facebook:
    The change to a limited FL is to keep Gamers from moving away from cover so far that they can see other targets not intended to be shot from that FL. It is not intended to be a PE trap. If you are at the end of a physical 8’ FL we are saying you are good if you are past it within reason, however if you are past it and shoot a target that should be engaged from somewhere else it is a PE. We are trying to help MD’s and stage designers with stages that could be gamed by a FL that had no end. For example CO shooters were taking advantage of this as they would take a longer and or harder shot to save movement. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    That new rule has caused some drama on Facebook. The fault line still extends to the stage boundary / infinity

From Facebook:
    The change to a limited FL is to keep Gamers from moving away from cover so far that they can see other targets not intended to be shot from that FL. It is not intended to be a PE trap. If you are at the end of a physical 8’ FL we are saying you are good if you are past it within reason, however if you are past it and shoot a target that should be engaged from somewhere else it is a PE. We are trying to help MD’s and stage designers with stages that could be gamed by a FL that had no end. For example CO shooters were taking advantage of this as they would take a longer and or harder shot to save movement. Hope this helps.
    That is helpful, yes. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    From Facebook:
    So they’re trying to make a gun game not a gun game?

Dafuq?

It’s also amusing that they managed to FUDD the people that are competing.

“Those damn gamers with their red dots and their ability to hit things farther away… we can’t have THAT!”
    Last edited by JCN; 04-28-2022 at 06:01 PM.

The new rule is just to address seeing targets intended to be at cover and engaged from a separate fault line. This usually happens with poorly designed stages 🥴

That reply didn't come from anyone at IDPA. Just a dude explaining the rule in his own way
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 04-28-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Just got this from my area coordinator:

STEPPING PAST THE END OF A FAULT LINE & FAULT LINE LENGTH
    Understanding this new rule and when to apply a PE you must consider the target arrays and the context of the stage. Rule 3.6.7 reads: "Nested / Overlapping Fault Lines: Shooters shall not advance across fault lines in a way that exposes them to unengaged targets. Fault lines are not cover themselves. They restrict movement beyond a shooting position for unengaged targets which are exposed to the shooter."

- First, no PE may be given for simply stepping over or behind the end of a fault line unless a shot was also made while touching the other side.
    - Secondly, the purpose of this rule is to prevent shooters from gaining access to other targets not intended to be engaged from that shooting position. This makes the rule subject to stage design and context.
    - Use Case #1: Shooter is shooting behind single wall/barricade with a single fault line at P1 on one side and only has to shoot targets behind the wall, then no PE would apply for using far cover because the shooter is not exposed to any unengaged targets beyond the single array.
    - Use Case #2: Shooter is shooting behind single wall/barricade with a single fault line and only has to shoot targets behind the wall. To the right is another wall where the shooter must move to engage more targets behind cover at P2. Before leaving P1, the shooter steps to far cover past the end of the fault line and engages a target that is related to the POC at P2. That deserves the PE. Either foot that steps past the end of the fault line that enables a shooter to engage that target gets the PE. To make it clear, it should be the whole foot.
    - This means that match directors need to design stages with fault lines that keep shooters from attempting to use far cover for targets unrelated to that position of cover. An easy way to enforce that is to put a barrel there, or nail down a rear fault line. But again, violating that rear fault line doesn't get a PE unless there is another target that could be engaged that is unrelated to that shooting position.

A simpler way to say this is: A PE is deserved when a shooter steps behind the end of a fault line and is exposed to multiple arrays to skip setting up to shoot in other positions. Another way to say this is: Misuse of a fault line to take a shot on a target unrelated to that position of cover.

User Tag List