Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022: New Rule Book

Do you think the light would still be needed even when shooting 105 power factor?

Magazine ouch

I just reread the rules book, still not clear, can magazine be worn in the front appendix type carry, IE a side car type holster or dedicated AIWB mag pouch?

thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    I just reread the rules book, still not clear, can magazine be worn in the front appendix type carry, IE a side car type holster or dedicated AIWB mag pouch?

thanks
    Steve
    Yes: there are no restrictions on the placement of the carrier. It just needs to be concealed.

There is a shooter at the Wednesday night indoor USPSA with what looks like a P365 with dot and searchlight in a sidecar rig.
    What I call "relentlessly tactical" at a shooting match, he is even blink illuminating the targets.

Not the same ruleset, I am just seizing the opportunity to say that his lack of functional reliability is dismaying. I don't know what ammo he uses and he is not real talkative; I will try to scrounge one he discards on a clearance.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    A light fell off a G26's short rail last Thursday. Gun had a dot and a light.

"Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    More updates from my area coordinator:

What if I run empty while behind cover, can I still leave and perform a reload on the move, as long as I complete it behind cover OR concealment as long as I do not become “exposed” to an unengaged target in the process?. (Yes, behind cover, NO, not behind concealment.)

That does not appear to agree with:

3.5.11.2 In stages with cover, shooters may reload standing still or on the move at any time, as long as they are not exposed to targets that are not fully engaged during the reload."

That's the way my AC explained it, too; you can't see surprise targets behind downrange concealment, but they can "see" you, so you are exposed to them for reloading purposes.

Went through the IDPA SO course yesterday. They did not have the powerpoint lesson done yet for the new rules so we still used the 2017 rulebook. We did go over the changes to some extent. There are some things that still seemed a bit up in the air.

Site Supporter
    My experience is that “Vision Barriers” are not treated the same as “Cover” for either engagement or reload rules.
    Must slice the pie (using cover lines) from cover, and cannot leave cover with an empty gun.
    No “slice the pie” (must engage based on what you can see, and generally work near-to-far) with vision barriers, and you cannot leave cover with an empty gun if there’s an unengaged target hidden behind a vision barrier. (Got dinged for that at a major match 2 years ago, doing a reload with retention behind a “vision barrier” and learned the hard way).

As far as I can see, there’s no change to that in the new rules.

Another way of looking at it is that, cover actually provides protection, while “concealment” or “vision barriers” do not.
    Therefore reloads are better accomplished from cover, unless you run dry in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    "Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    More updates from my area coordinator:

What if I run empty while behind cover, can I still leave and perform a reload on the move, as long as I complete it behind cover OR concealment as long as I do not become “exposed” to an unengaged target in the process?. (Yes, behind cover, NO, not behind concealment.)

That does not appear to agree with:

3.5.11.2 In stages with cover, shooters may reload standing still or on the move at any time, as long as they are not exposed to targets that are not fully engaged during the reload."

That's the way my AC explained it, too; you can't see surprise targets behind downrange concealment, but they can "see" you, so you are exposed to them for reloading purposes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Went through the IDPA SO course yesterday. They did not have the powerpoint lesson done yet for the new rules so we still used the 2017 rulebook. We did go over the changes to some extent. There are some things that still seemed a bit up in the air.

So, new rules published in a rule book, but no training program for SO’s on the new rules.

Nice.

Seems to me that the whole thing should have been released as one package.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So, new rules published in a rule book, but no training program for SO’s on the new rules.

Nice.

Seems to me that the whole thing should have been released as one package.
    You would think. Our instructor is very involved in IDPA runs a Major every year, etc. and there were still a lot of questions being worked through it appeared. On the good side, that club is one of them that was not going to allow AIWB but do to a few key people showing them how safe it can be, they are probably going to allow it. I really don't think all that many people are going to run it though.

User Tag List