Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2022: New Rule Book

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So to confirm, ESP allows a mag well?
    Yes. SSP does not but ESP does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I intend to shoot a match this weekend. I looked through the rule book and it appears I can shoot CO with my G19 + 507C + TLR8. Can I leave my magwell on the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Yes. SSP does not but ESP does.
    Thanks for the clarification on the magwell. I'll leave it on the gun.

yes within size limits of fitting the box unless I misunderstand it

A.2 Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP)
    A.2.1 Handguns permitted for use in ESP must:
    A.2.1.1 Be semi-automatic.
    A.2.1.2 Use 9 mm (9x19) or larger cartridges.
    A.2.1.3 The unloaded firearm with the heaviest magazine must weigh 43.00 oz. or less.
    A.2.1.4 The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1
    /8”.
    A.2.1.5 Firearms originally sold as compensated/ported models may be used in ESP with noncompensated/ported barrels installed.
    A.2.2 Start Condition:
    A.2.2.1 Single action only firearms will start with the hammer cocked and the safety engaged.
    A.2.2.2 Selective DA/SA firearms may start cocked and locked or de-cocked, at the shooter’s discretion.
    A.2.2.3 DA, DAO, or striker fired firearms with a de-cocking lever or button will be de-cocked using the lever or
    button.
    A.2.2.4 DA, DAO, or striker-fired firearms may have a manual safety engaged at the shooter’s discretion.
    A.2.3 ESP Permitted Modifications
    A.2.3.1 See (8.1.6 and 8.1.7 in the IDPA Rulebook (nothing there calling out magwells, and CDP specifically calls them out as acceptable)
    A.2.4 ESP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list)
    A.2.4.1 Trigger shoes.

As long as it still fits in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I intend to shoot a match this weekend. I looked through the rule book and it appears I can shoot CO with my G19 + 507C + TLR8. Can I leave my magwell on the gun?
    Yes

A Couple Minor IPDA Rules Questions...

Background: I recently moved to Tavares in Lake County FL, about an hour North of Orlando. There is an IDPA club near me, so I am planning to stop and check out a match. In order to manage my expectations, I spent some time reading the Rulebook (version 2023.2, amended 2/22/23), and have a couple minor questions below.

I have a Sig P365X. Holster will be OWB strongside, with a single reload OWB weak side. I also have an extra P365XL slide with an optic. Cover garment would be my normal untucked polo, or XL T-shirt. I’m generally familiar with action pistol; albeit I don’t go very often because: reasons. Highest I ever classified was D 36% in Production in USPSA. I’ve shot 15 matches lifetime.

Thanks!

What Division?

I assume my P365X would put me in Compact Carry Pistol? On the other hand, if I put the XL slide on (the one with the optic), I assume I would be shooting Carry Optics, correct?

Reloads?

Reloads are probably the area I’m most confused about.

Rule 3.4.6 says I can’t leave a mag with ammo behind, and 3.5.7 says I have to “properly stow” the mag. What’s “properly stowed”? Can I drop it in my pocket? Or do I have to stuff it back in my mag pouch? If the mag is empty (i.e. not a “mag with ammo”) can I just drop it on the ground?

Rule 3.4.1 says IDPA prefers slide-lock reloads. Are there typically any situations where I can not shoot to slide lock i.e. reload a partially loaded mag with a full one?

Rule 6.5.11 says no course of fire needs more than 18 rounds. Can I assume that my one reload is sufficient for “all” stages? (I’d carry a backup mag in my pocket for malfunctions).

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Reloads?

Reloads are probably the area I’m most confused about.

Rule 3.4.6 says I can’t leave a mag with ammo behind, and 3.5.7 says I have to “properly stow” the mag. What’s “properly stowed”? Can I drop it in my pocket? Or do I have to stuff it back in my mag pouch? If the mag is empty (i.e. not a “mag with ammo”) can I just drop it on the ground?

Rule 3.4.1 says IDPA prefers slide-lock reloads. Are there typically any situations where I can not shoot to slide lock i.e. reload a partially loaded mag with a full one?

Rule 6.5.11 says no course of fire needs more than 18 rounds. Can I assume that my one reload is sufficient for “all” stages? (I’d carry a backup mag in my pocket for malfunctions).
    You're correct about pretty much everything

Stowed can be in a pocket, stuff in your waistband, in the mag pouch. If it's empty then it can be left where it falls.

You don't have to do slide lock reloads. You can reload with a round in the chamber and your mag can eject to the ground as long as the magazine is empty.

i.e. reload a partially loaded mag with a full one?

This is allowed, and where 3.5.7 comes into play with "properly stowed"

Can I assume that my one reload is sufficient for “all” stages?

Usually yes, but they could have a stage where you start with a downloaded magazine. If the stage says start with magazine loaded to 2 rounds and there are 18 required shots, then you will need the 3rd mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Usually yes, but they could have a stage where you start with a downloaded magazine. If the stage says start with magazine loaded to 2 rounds and there are 18 required shots, then you will need the 3rd mag.
    This is one way the MDs are making SSP-15 shooters reload at all.
    One is to have long stages, 17-18 hits, another is a downloaded start. Or 16 hits and an empty gun start.

I tried it for a while until I saw the trend in stage design, then went back to ESP.
    I also shoot USPSA and people wonder why I shoot Limited 10. It is so I have the same approach to the stage. True, I can reload any time in USPSA, but it still keeps me thinking about the reload at an early point, not in the dim distant future of the last array.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    This is one way the MDs are making SSP-15 shooters reload at all.
    One is to have long stages, 17-18 hits, another is a downloaded start. Or 16 hits and an empty gun start.

I tried it for a while until I saw the trend in stage design, then went back to ESP.
    I also shoot USPSA and people wonder why I shoot Limited 10. It is so I have the same approach to the stage. True, I can reload any time in USPSA, but it still keeps me thinking about the reload at an early point, not in the dim distant future of the last array.
    My club does the same with stages. They don't make any 16 round stages. If I shot SSP I'd probably just use a ten round mag

Thanks guys. I will probably give my local IDPA club a visit and see what it's all about. Appreciate the input.

User Tag List