Thread: Shot My 617 For Steel Challenge Today

Shot My 617 For Steel Challenge Today

Finally got to shoot a match with my 617. I really enjoyed it more than shooting my Black Mamba. There's just something about revolvers that fit my hands better.

I shot an abbriviated Steel Challenge Match. We could only shoot 5 of the 8 stages because another club took over one of the larger bays for a Bullseye Match. Here we are trying to go as fast as possible and watching them shoot 5 shots in 10 seconds.

Well, I did pretty good. I came in second in my class. Shot right around my average so I'm pretty happy. I shot in Rimfire Pistol Iron against the autos. They don't distinguish revolvers instead of autos in Rimfire.

Typical, I smoked a couple of the stages and trashed a couple going too fast. At least I never needed a reload with my DS-10 Speed Loaders. I also never needed to clean my cylinders while shooting Federal BYOB 40 grain bullets. That stuff is clean in my revolver and it's fortunate that I have about 15,000 rounds of it. When that's done I'm going to switch to Blazers.

I shot with a great group of guys. All of us were around 70 years old and told the stories of our youth and how we shot much better. Oh the lies...

It was one of the most fun matches I've been in.

Well there you go. It's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Site Supporter
    There's a local steel match that I keep telling myself I will go to but something always comes up. I have a 4" 617 with a red dot I will either shoot that or my Ruger MKIV 22/45 with red dot. I also have a 6" 17 with the full underlugged barrel, matte finish and aluminum cylinder but I don't shoot that as much as my 617.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    There's a local steel match that I keep telling myself I will go to but something always comes up. I have a 4" 617 with a red dot I will either shoot that or my Ruger MKIV 22/45 with red dot. I also have a 6" 17 with the full underlugged barrel, matte finish and aluminum cylinder but I don't shoot that as much as my 617.

The biggest trick is to get out there to shoot. i've been fortunate, living in Arizona the weather is almost perfect every day.

If you want to have a lot of fun, shoot the 617. I love beating the autos every once in a while. Get some DS-10 Speed Loaders from Revolver Supply Co.com and you are good to go.

User Tag List