Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 Magnum DEWC load data, In search of.

OP.

Check out this thread over on Castboolits:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...50#post4689050

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    OP.

Check out this thread over on Castboolits:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...50#post4689050

Thank you, this is what I was needing. I have been looking over there but had not found this thread.

I started working on this project today. I loaded a test batch using 6 grains of Unique, Hornaday magnum cases, SNS casting coated 148gr dewc 1.32 oal.

Out of the 3 inch Python I got a AV of 1053 with a H 1066 and a L 1031

Out of the GP 100 3 inch WC the AV was 1068 the H 1087 and L 1041

I haven't figured SDs yet but guessing the Python will be in the low teens and the Ruger will be in the high teens.

I wish I had concentrated a bit more on accuracy instead of trying not to shoot the chronograph. These seem really good out of both guns. The can of powder I'm loading out of has about 1/3 of a pound in it. I'm gonna use it up on this load and do some more testing. I will get some numbers out of my 4 inch Python and SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I wish I had concentrated a bit more on accuracy instead of trying not to shoot the chronograph.
    I understand, but not shooting the chrono is one of my life priorities. I always like it when the first load I try is accurate/promising. It's like the reloading gods smiled on a project.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    4.0 Bullseye for DEWC in .357 (about 800 fps). From Ed Harris (Outpost75 here and Cast Boolit forum)
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Well, I achieved what I was after, mostly. I was looking for a mid-velocity round that would be cost effective for training. I got the velocity I wanted with great accuracy but trying to do reloads with speed loaders is a horrid pain in the ass with the big revolvers and nigh on impossible with the sp101. I can drop in SJSP or SJHP without having to look. At this point I'm thinking I would be better served with a RN or even a WFN for training. I'm gonna have to think on this to see if these DEWCs have a place...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Well, I achieved what I was after, mostly. I was looking for a mid-velocity round that would be cost effective for training. I got the velocity I wanted with great accuracy but trying to do reloads with speed loaders is a horrid pain in the ass with the big revolvers and nigh on impossible with the sp101. I can drop in SJSP or SJHP without having to look. At this point I'm thinking I would be better served with a RN or even a WFN for training. I'm gonna have to think on this to see if these DEWCs have a place...
    No, they're horrible for training with speedloaders. I'd go with a lead truncated cone (LTC) since they're fairly close to HPs in profile. This is an example in 125-grain weight, 158s are available too.

Something to ponder: while I’m sure this won’t be a problem with commercial bullets, my mould drops DEWCs bullets at .359 diameter, and I normally load them as-cast, using a .361/.357 expander plug from Buffalo Arms.

Even with the oversized expander, .357 brass is too thick to seat the .359 bullets without damage (they’re cast from COWW +2%).

So to use .357 brass, the bullet has to be sized to .358, which is not nearly as accurate as .359s loaded in Starline .38 brass.

This is out of a Security Six with throats honed to a consistent .3585.

Site Supporter
    Try this. Instead of resizing the 357 case it's entire length, adjust the die to resize it 1/2 to 5/8 the length of the wadcutter bullet.The expander die will then expand the case so that the bullet can pass undamaged into the rest of the case. The finished product will have sufficient tension on the front end. Also the bullet will be centered in the case. Having chambers honed is a big plus.

Another custom expander tweaked a bit resolve the issue, but as long as you're using brass fired in this revolver I think you can make this method work. My guess is that your size die uses a carbide ring. Older steel dies tended to resize cases less. One of these can be polished to reduce the degree of diameter reduction. Then with this altered size die and the custom expander die, you could crank out some fine ammo. If you decide to use an older steel die, pm me and I will send one that you can play with. But please try the first suggestion and share results.

User Tag List