Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum DEWC load data, In search of.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have seen this and quite frankly this scares me a little. I have load data for 146gr flat base WC with a charge of 12.6gr of 2400 , no start or max just 12.6, from the Lee book (or maybe an older Speer). I loaded a test batch at 12gr and had hard extraction, It took a sharp whack with a wooden hammer handle to get the cases out. I'm not sure how to extrapolate the Lyman data.
    The best solution would be to buy a .38 revolver and load the WC in .38 brass, then buy some WFN (with or without gas checks) from Montana Bullet Co for the .357.

Because you were seized by the notion of .357 WCs, here's 150gr bullet data from the Lyman 50th Edition. I know they're not seated as deeply, but pressures are close to the old data posted above. Like @willie, I have seated WC bullets to a longer OAL. Looking back at my notes, in 1992, I must have thought WC in .357 would be cool, and I loaded them over 6.0gr of Unique. Apparently it wasn't all that, because I have never loaded them in .357 brass again
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The best solution would be to buy a .38 revolver and load the WC in .38 brass, then buy some WFN (with or without gas checks) from Montana Bullet Co for the .357.

Because you were seized by the notion of .357 WCs, here's 150gr bullet data from the Lyman 50th Edition. I know they're not seated as deeply, but pressures are close to the old data posted above. Like @willie, I have seated WC bullets to a longer OAL. Looking back at my notes, in 1992, I must have thought WC in .357 would be cool, and I loaded them over 6.0gr of Unique. Apparently it wasn't all that, because I have never loaded them in .357 brass again
    I wasn't seized by magnum velocities, I have been buying in bulk and just want to use up the 2500 or so WCs and the 2500 magnum cases to make a coffee can full of fodder that's a bit more than the 700ish FPS that I got using .38 data which I could continue doing. What little data that is out there is confusing and some of it looks dangerous as pointed out in posts above.

Adding a .38 caliber gun is very low on my list to do.

I have 500 of the WFN coming and have loaded several hundred 158 SWCs and XTPs. Trying to feed 4 magnum guns here

I am going to try Unique. I have been given several recipes the calls for anywhere from 5 to 6 grains.

Site Supporter
    One reason that reloaders don't soup up wadcutter loads is that aerodynamics of the flat nose causes them to shed velocity rapidly and to lose accuracy after 50 yards. Most have found that this style is no more accurate than other configurations. The style satisfies requirements of target shooting and does so economically. In your experimentation order a batch of round nose bullets. I found this type to be more accurate than any other in my revolvers. The main reason is that the round nose deforms less while jumping from chamber to to barrel. I grew up reading Keith's writings and agree with him but found that in my magnum revolvers round nose bullets seemed to shoot flatter and more accurately than swc's. Of course, I understand that swc's are better for shooting game.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    In your experimentation order a batch of round nose bullets. I found this type to be more accurate than any other in my revolvers. The main reason is that the round nose deforms less while jumping from chamber to to barrel. I grew up reading Keith's writings and agree with him but found that in my magnum revolvers round nose bullets seemed to shoot flatter and more accurately than swc's. Of course, I understand that swc's are better for shooting game.
    You learn something every day.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If it helps, I have an old Hercules Reloading Guide that shows 3.3 gr of Unique at 775 FPS with a solid 148 gr wadcutter in 357 magnum cases, and the full-power load shown for Unique in a 357 case is 6.4 gr for 1465 fps with the same bullet in a 5.6 inch unvented pressure barrel. This appears to fit in with the data you've received elsewhere.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Just out of curiosity, I checked a couple of old manuals I have and found some data. From an Ideal (pre-Lyman) manual with a 1955 copyright, they show Bullseye with 3.0 grains as a suggested load and 4.1 grains as maximum, Unique with 4.5 grains as a suggested load and 6.2 as maximum, and 2400 with 12 grains as a max load and no lower charge suggested. These are in a section titled, ".357 S&W Mag. Moderate Loads only". Note that only S&W N frames and Colt New Service and SAAs were available at that time in .357 Magnum, so take that "moderate" descriptor with a bag of salt.

This is from the Lyman 46th.

I think you’d be safe with the starting loads of the slower powders - 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    This is from the Lyman 46th.

I think you’d be safe with the starting loads of the slower powders - 5%.
    Where are they seating the wc/coal?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Where are they seating the wc/coal?
    It’s says in the pic 1.435 OAL.

I would assume that the Lyman bullet pictured is being seated to the crimp groove.

I saw someone suggest seating WCs out to increase powder space. Better make sure first your bullets will slip into the throats at least equal to how much bullet will protrude from the case. Otherwise you’re going to have a very hard time chambering.

I see no need to seat the bullet out. If the DEWC is the SAECO 348 style bullet, it’s designed to be seated to the crimp groove, which puts the beveled part of the nose into the throat to form a gas seal. Just be conservative working up loads.

I shoot a lot of my own cast DEWCs from a SAECO 348-style mould. They drop at .359 diameter and and I load them as-cast. I haven’t tried them in .357 brass, nor have I goosed them up over 850 FPS.

Lymans Reloading Handbook #45 shows Unique topping out at 8.5 gr for 1440 fps out of a 5-1/2 in S&W Model 27. BTW, 358495 is a 141 gr design. Something to keep in mind if pursuing gonzo velocities.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List