Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum DEWC load data, In search of.

.357 Magnum DEWC load data, In search of.

I bought the large box (3000?) of coated 148gr DEWCs from SNS Casting and have been playing with light loads .38 Special data in mag cases and I am looking for a bit more out of them, 1000fps or so. There is very little data for WCs in the magnum and what I am finding is for hollow base WCs. It gets even more confusing looking at Hodgdon's data.

The powders I have on hand that I am trying to find data for; CFE pistol, HP-38, HS-6, Tight group and 2400. I do have a limited amount of Unique and True Blue that I can try also. I will just have to get on a list to get some more if any of that works. I am also willing to try a different powder that I don't have so don't leave anything out.

I don't have many .38 cases and what I do have is saved for/loaded with .38-44 loads. I also don't have a .38 gun and no plans to get one.

Thanks, CD

Name:  57A561D4-E5F9-4290-BB48-D4A0630D99B7.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  78.8 KB

Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, second edition, 1994.

I seem to remember loading WC in 357 brass in the 80s with Win 231 when all I had was a 357 Security Six and a Lee Loader but I don’t remember where I got the data. Probably a Speer or Hornady manual back then.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Name:  57A561D4-E5F9-4290-BB48-D4A0630D99B7.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  78.8 KB

Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, second edition, 1994.

I seem to remember loading WC in 357 brass in the 80s with Win 231 when all I had was a 357 Security Six and a Lee Loader but I don’t remember where I got the data. Probably a Speer or Hornady manual back then.

I have seen this and quite frankly this scares me a little. I have load data for 146gr flat base WC with a charge of 12.6gr of 2400 , no start or max just 12.6, from the Lee book (or maybe an older Speer). I loaded a test batch at 12gr and had hard extraction, It took a sharp whack with a wooden hammer handle to get the cases out. I'm not sure how to extrapolate the Lyman data.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have seen this and quite frankly this scares me a little. I have load data for 146gr flat base WC with a charge of 12.6gr of 2400 , no start or max just 12.6, from the Lee book (or maybe an older Speer). I loaded a test batch at 12gr and had hard extraction, It took a sharp whack with a wooden hammer handle to get the cases out. I'm not sure how to extrapolate the Lyman data.
    14.6? Yikes. Talk about taking a paving brick supersonic!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I don't know how helpful this will be but I'll list some .357 loads below. I was (iirc) using Extreme 148 gr DEWC plated.

I was chronoing these while shooting at a 3x5 card at about 7-8 yards. Double action only in my old and cherished 686 4 inch in June 2021.
    I don't have the shooting skills that many here possess, but I really liked the Bullseye load.

Eventually, when Alliant 2400 becomes more readily available I will retry the 12 gr load range. It was pretty soft shooting.

148 gr DEWC

Winchester Magnum small pistol primers

Hercules 2400 (yes, very old powder!) 12 grs

FPS Avg 1050

148 gr DEWC

Unique 5.8 grs

Winchester Standard Small pistol primers

FPS Avg 972

148 gr DEWC

Bullseye 5.0 gr

Winchester Standard Small pistol primers

FPS Avg 946

I don't have where I located this data written in my notes...so please take this as a "This is what I did" and not necessarily a recommendation.

That loading data is from the good old days. Notice that it has been pressure tested. Lyman used to pressure test every load they printed. I've surprised a number of people by telling them that solid wadcutters can be shot that fast. I proved it with the same data shown above. HB wadcutters need not apply.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I have not tried it yet, but I'm thinking a .357 level load for 158gr SWC with W-231 would be an okay place to start if the goal is 1000fps or so. I have a bunch of 2400, but I'd rather keep that for higher velocity stuff.

Of the powders you list having, Unique around 6.0gr would probably get you what you want too.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I have not tried it yet, but I'm thinking a .357 level load for 158gr SWC with W-231 would be an okay place to start if the goal is 1000fps or so. I have a bunch of 2400, but I'd rather keep that for higher velocity stuff.

Of the powders you list having, Unique around 6.0gr would probably get you what you want too.
    I'd make sure the volume of bullet inside the case with a 158gr SWC was the same as with my 148gr DEWC before using the data.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'd make sure the volume of bullet inside the case with a 158gr SWC was the same as with my 148gr DEWC before using the data.
    I'd use it as a starting point. Problem these days is most 148gr wadcutter data you find for .357 is made with low velocities and HBWC bullets in mind, like Hodgdon/Winchester data for W-231 they list online, I just looked:

Winchester 231, Hornady HBWC: 0.358" 1.290" Start: 3.0 845fps 14,300 CUP, Max: 3.4 908fps 17,600 CUP <---pretty much the same as .38 Special data

Winchester 231 Cast SWC: 0.358" 1.590" Start: 3.4 796fps 12,600 CUP, Max: 5.0 1,109fps 23,900 CUP <---- Warmer, but not pushing .357 pressure limits

For comparison sake, max with a 158 XTP is 6.9gr @ 1220fps and 40,000 CUP.

Oddly enough, their .38 Special data with the Hornady HBWC shows a max of 4.0gr, which is higher than the .357 data and oddly showing only 15,900 CUP, which seems wrong.

I'd guess somewhere in the 4.5 grains area would get 950-1000fps and still be well below max .357 pressures. I don't think 4.5gr would be pushing it with a DEWC that can handle more pressure/velocity. Like I said, I have not tried it yet. If you want to bump up the velocity using a DEWC style bullet, data gets harder to find, so you might have to improvise and experiment some. Lyman has decent cast bullet data, IME.

Site Supporter
    No rule dictates seating the wadcutter flush with the case. Seat the WC out to duplicate seating depth of a 158 grain bullet, crimp in a lube groove, and load as you would a regular swc. The wadcutter bullet was designed for bullseye shooting using 38 spl revolvers. The flat end cuts a neat round hole permitting precise scoring. Seating flush permits using a small charge of fast burning powder. The result is a low recoil target round that shoots accurately to 50 yards.

You are looking for something else. Seat the bullet out and proceed.

User Tag List