Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR pistols passing muster on proposed ATF points form

AR pistols passing muster on proposed ATF points form

ATF worksheet 4999. I am sure some have objectively run their points on this. A length greater than 26” would make the weapon a SBR. ATF did three example weapons at the end, two of three were declared SBR. I don’t see how barrel length of 11.5 is meeting the length of 26” or less.

I believe I can link to federal register:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ilizing-braces

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    ATF worksheet 4999. I am sure some have objectively run their points on this. A length greater than 26” would make the weapon a SBR. ATF did three example weapons at the end, two of three were declared SBR. I don’t see how barrel length of 11.5 is meeting the length of 26” or less.

I believe I can link to federal register:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ilizing-braces
    I think your only options with a barrel that long and a carbine length, or longer, receiver extension are to remove the brace completely or SBR the lower. The worksheet only applies if your gun has a brace installed and doesn’t affect AR-style pistols that have naked receiver extensions. I’m most likely just going to SBR mine. I already know I wouldn’t dedicate the practice time necessary to get good with a “cheek pistol” configuration and it would be too different from my work rifle.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I think your only options with a barrel that long and a carbine length, or longer, receiver extension are to remove the brace completely or SBR the lower. The worksheet only applies if your gun has a brace installed and doesn’t affect AR-style pistols that have naked receiver extensions. I’m most likely just going to SBR mine. I already know I wouldn’t dedicate the practice time necessary to get good with a “cheek pistol” configuration and it would be too different from my work rifle.
    You could also pin & weld a 5.5" flash hider. It looks dumb & ugly, but allows you to use the stock and keep the gun non-NFA, while keeping the original barrel.

https://www.tntesales.com/xm-177-gau...der-phosphate/

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    You could also pin & weld a 5.5" flash hider. It looks dumb & ugly, but allows you to use the stock and keep the gun non-NFA, while keeping the original barrel.

https://www.tntesales.com/xm-177-gau...der-phosphate/
    Yes, that is another option. I didn’t bring it up, assuming that people who acquired braced pistols valued the shorter length enough that they would prefer not to go this route, but this would ensure the guns were non-NFA. It sure does look dumb and ugly though, just as you said.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

So no brace and length over 26” (total) is ok, as long as I use receiver extension ONLY?

So no brace and length over 26” (total) is ok, as long as I use receiver extension ONLY?
    That’s my understanding. I believe it’s in the rule change document somewhere but I haven’t read it since it was first announced prior to the comment period so I could be misremembering where I learned it. The rule document is titled “Factoring Criteria for Firearms With Attached ‘Stabilizing Braces.’” If your firearm doesn’t have an attached stabilizing brace then it’s not the subject of these rule changes.

The worksheet only applies if your gun has a brace installed and doesn’t affect AR-style pistols that have naked receiver extensions.

I already know I wouldn’t dedicate the practice time necessary to get good with a “cheek pistol” configuration and it would be too different from my work rifle.
    I plan to keep the RE naked, other than it having a manufacturer-installed* LAW folder, which I hope will not become a legal problem, itself. I will admit having a love-hate relationship with the LAW folder, as it adds considerable overall length, when extended, and considerable width, when folded. My BCM carbine lowers have stocks that collapse to a quite short length, and our recently-added LMT lowers have their “PDW” version of the SOPMOD stock that is even shorter, though the actual difference is so very minor, it was probably not really worth being on the watch list, for them.

I am just not enough of a devoted AR/M4 hobbyist to want to deal with SBR-ing anything. A minimal-rifle-length barrel, with a collapsing stock, has always seemed short enough for discrete transportation, and, I am tall enough to temporarily tuck a collapsible-stock M4-ish weapon under some of my longer-hemmed light-weight hoodies.

Plus, I will admit that my .300 BLK M4 pistol has not become a vetted carry/defensive weapon, yet, and I unsure when I will get around to it. (Where does one practice cheek-pistol, anyway? I am doubtful that any local range safety nazis would allow it.)

*Daniel Defense, DDM4 V7P.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Perhaps this is assumed, but it would probably be good to ensure that the receiver extension has no provision for mounting a collapsible stock. I seem to recall that later RE's for braces would work with a regular stock so simply ditching the brace off one of those would be no bueno.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I've been dealing with a bunch of other crap lately (no one told me retirement would be so exhausting!). Did BATFE ever get around to finalizing their new rules on braces? I still see an awful lot of stuff being sold with SBA3s on them.

If the rules are in fact finalized, is there somewhere they're posted in a format that's legible by humans? Or are we all just felons waiting to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've been dealing with a bunch of other crap lately (no one told me retirement would be so exhausting!). Did BATFE ever get around to finalizing their new rules on braces? I still see an awful lot of stuff being sold with SBA3s on them.

If the rules are in fact finalized, is there somewhere they're posted in a format that's legible by humans? Or are we all just felons waiting to happen?
    Not finalized, thought August was the anticipated release date.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List