Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrest made in mass fentanyl overdose 'involving' West Point cadets on spring break i

Arrest made in mass fentanyl overdose 'involving' West Point cadets on spring break i

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-poin...000718539.html

At least four of the cadets will likely be expelled, if this report is correct:

"Four are thought to have used cocaine laced with the powerful synthetic opioid that has a potency dozens of times stronger than morphine . . .

The other two overdosed when they tried to administer CPR and were exposed to the drug . . ."
    (sic)

When the tac-officer lectured about "Building LethalityTM", that's not what he meant.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm jaded. It'll depend on who their daddy is and what connections are involved, as to what punishment is metered out.

Look at that Che loving asshole and the saga it took to deal with him.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I'm jaded. It'll depend on who their daddy is and what connections are involved, as to what punishment is metered out.
    As someone that typically let's go of no chance to bag on the Army (mostly as a way of reassuring myself about my own poor life choices to join the Marines), even I can say with confidence that I have zero doubt they will be kicked out.

What saga?

That's about an average length of time for a personnel conduct investigation pretty much everywhere in the federal government except the Marines, including my current civilian federal LE agency; as to how I qualify that statement, my squad's primary duty is conducting criminal malfeasance investigations on employees and I am a member of my department's insider threat assessment council, so I see a lot more than what my unit does. In addition, when I find administrative conduct and suitability factors, I end up working with those respective offices as needed, so I'm exposed to a lot more than just the criminal aspect...thing's like violations of department regulations that go to HR, adjudicative factors for security clearances, counter-intelligence concerns, etc. Of note to this comment about the Commie Cadet, I've investigated communists and AFAIK am one of the few persons in the last decade to present a memo for adjudication of a security clearance based on lack of allegiance to the United States....it's incredibly rare.

It didn't seem to drag on with any sort of drama. He was also already commissioned in the military at that point.....bit different than dealing with cadets, which are much easier to dismiss.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Knowingly and willfully ingesting an illegal controlled substance will make them intelligible to get, or keep, a SECRET or TS security clearance. These are not applicants who are several years removed from limited "experimental use." They are current service academy cadets, who likely already hold at least a SECRET clearance. If the evidence actually supports the information in the article, along with the publicity, I don't see any way family wealth/political connections will save them. I say that as someone who is also a bit "jaded" about wealthy, and politically connected, people " pulling strings" to help themselves, and their friends/family.

With the amount of random drug tests that go on in the service, at least what I remember, I find it interesting that Military Academy Cadets would knowingly consume drugs, even if on spring break. I'd think standard operating procedure would be a post spring break drug test for everybody.

First, the cheating scandal and now a drug scandal. Apparently, there is a values problem at the institution and it’s probably time for the superintendent and admissions committee a to be relieved of their command. Change is needed.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    With the amount of random drug tests that go on in the service, at least what I remember, I find it interesting that Military Academy Cadets would knowingly consume drugs, even if on spring break. I'd think standard operating procedure would be a post spring break drug test for everybody.
    In ten years in the military, plus 4 more as an AFROTC cadet, I was only randomly tested twice.

Also, anyone willing to research the time kes for cocaine, or other drugs to clear the system, could time it while on leave to not get caught when returning. Random testing catches stupid people, and habitual users.

Also, there are 4th Amendment issues around any testing that is not random. So singling out people for merely returning from leave will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    In ten years in the military, plus 4 more as an AFROTC cadet, I was only randomly tested twice.

Also, anyone willing to research the time kes for cocaine, or other drugs to clear the system, could time it while on leave to not get caught when returning. Random testing catches stupid people, and habitual users.

Also, there are 4th Amendment issues around any testing that is not random. So singling out people for merely returning from leave will be a problem.
    I got called for a random test once while I was in court as the case agent on a prosecution, as well as a witness. I was told I had to go and I told them that there was no way I was going unless one of those knuckleheads called the judge and asked him if he'd excuse me. Needless to say, the matter was dropped until I got back from court.

The gov't doesn't always make a lot of sense in how they handle things. I'm sure this comes as a great surprise to many.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    In my ARNG unit, we were tested several times a year. It was probably because a large minority of us held TS clearances.

User Tag List