Thread: Best Can for Hunting Rifle

Best Can for Hunting Rifle

My first rifle cans are Surefire SOCOM 7.62's. When I purchased them the primary goal was to be used on tactical type rifles. And they do a fine job with that.

I've tried them on some hunting rifles, and have found they cause a significant POI shift. Like 6-10 inches at 100 yrds.

Looking for a dedicated hunting can with less shift than that, and what shift there is should be repeatable, predictable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My first rifle cans are Surefire SOCOM 7.62's. When I purchased them the primary goal was to be used on tactical type rifles. And they do a fine job with that.

I've tried them on some hunting rifles, and have found they cause a significant POI shift. Like 6-10 inches at 100 yrds.

Looking for a dedicated hunting can with less shift than that, and what shift there is should be repeatable, predictable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Are you good with direct thread? Is .30 cal fine, or do you want caliber specific? Are all the rifles 5/8-24?

I've been using a Silencerco Harvester for about six years, and I've been very happy with it. The new model looks like an improvement in every way. On most rifles, I see very minimal POI shift (less than 2" at 100, but that can vary based on a number of factors). I haven't shot much can on/can off comparisons at extended distances, so there could be harmonics changes that I'm not detecting.

Keep in mind that a suppressor is effectively acting as a muzzle weight, which changes the harmonics of rifle. It's like using a barrel tuner that isn't adjustable.

Any of the lightweight Ti direct thread cans should also work, but you may be tied to using a specific thread pitch. Sig's new Ti SLH cans look really interesting, but I don't have any experience with one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Are you good with direct thread? Is .30 cal fine, or do you want caliber specific? Are all the rifles 5/8-24?

I've been using a Silencerco Harvester for about six years, and I've been very happy with it. The new model looks like an improvement in every way. On most rifles, I see very minimal POI shift (less than 2" at 100, but that can vary based on a number of factors). I haven't shot much can on/can off comparisons at extended distances, so there could be harmonics changes that I'm not detecting.

Keep in mind that a suppressor is effectively acting as a muzzle weight, which changes the harmonics of rifle. It's like using a barrel tuner that isn't adjustable.

Any of the lightweight Ti direct thread cans should also work, but you may be tied to using a specific thread pitch. Sig's new Ti SLH cans look really interesting, but I don't have any experience with one yet.

I'm OK with both direct thread or QD. I've read differing opinions on which method is best for least POI shift.

Right now all of my hunting guns are 5/8 X 24.

I should mention that around here a 300-yard shot at a deer is definitely in the possibilities but rather, rather remote. Most shots are 150 and less, and for me the vast majority of those are well within 100 yd. At least in my experience.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I'm OK with both direct thread or QD. I've read differing opinions on which method is best for least POI shift.

Right now all of my hunting guns are 5/8 X 24.

I should mention that around here a 300-yard shot at a deer is definitely in the possibilities but rather, rather remote. Most shots are 150 and less, and for me the vast majority of those are well within 100 yd. At least in my experience.

Thanks!
    I would be hesitant to take any shot relying on limited POI change without reconfirming zero. I don't hunt anywhere that I can't use a can, so I just leave it on. If I needed to hunt unsuppressed, I would absolutely want to reconfirm.

If that isn't an option, I've had the best luck with direct thread and AREA 419's mounting system for minimizing POI shift (and keeping it repeatable). Stiff barrels seem to help.

Here's a vid from SiCo showing minimal and repeatable POI shift with a direct thread can:

I have only limited data with Dead Air's Xeno mounts, but they're working pretty well for my carbine accuracy expectations.

Generally, weight is the biggest factor in POI change. So something at 10 ounces or less would be your best shot. When comparing weights, make sure you include the mounting system.

A short "K" can will also be handy but won't suppress as well, but probably good enough for hunting.

I would probably look at the Thunder Beast Ultra 5 at under 8 ounces.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List