Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 2.0 Accuracy on current production models

Do they require the Apex fitted barrels for great accuracy, or do the drop in ones fix the issue too?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Do they require the Apex fitted barrels for great accuracy, or do the drop in ones fix the issue too?
    I can’t say for sure because we do not use the drop-in barrels. The fitted ones have produced 1-2” groups at 25yds with our duty ammo.

22 yards with my 5-inch FDE. My grip got sloppy on the two flyers to the left; I tried a six o’clock hold with the one on the bottom. That’s as well as I can shoot any pistol.

Name:  FE8ED366-90B8-4159-90FF-296E41FFB27E.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  19.8 KB

I have not seen a substantial difference in accuracy between the 2.0's and other SFA polymer guns. I do still find it "easier" to shoot at distances beyond 10-12 yards with Glocks in slow fire, but I am confident that this is due to my familiarity and reps with them versus MP's. The accuracy results have been about equal in my hands. My first 2.0 was a used compact that I picked up cheap and to use as a trainer or loaner gun. I happened to have it in my gear bag at a training I was attending not long after buying it. As it turns out I was not shooting very well in the morning with a Glock and decided to use the 2.0 in the afternoon. My performance immediately improved. At the end of that day the cadre decided to have us compete in a walk back starting at 25 yards and shooting at a 12 inch plate going back in 10 yard increments. If you missed you were out. I made it to 95 yards with two others where I missed. The shooter who won was shooting a 226 and hit the plate from 100. To say the least, I was impressed with the gun's accuracy in that drill which was at the end of a long day and in the hands of a mediocre shooter.
    Found a couple of video's and threads on this topic. The one from the M&P forum mentions that Randy Lee found that S&W increased the interior width of the slide near the chamber of the barrel to reduce torque on the barrel to increase accuracy.
    In the first video the narrator talks about the accuracy of the 2.0 at the 5:20 mark.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...t-results.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNUnUICKbQ&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh1BB2L5kWM&t=32s

My 2.0 5" shoots well with 115 gr. jacketd (Rem UMC I think) and nothing else that I have found at this point, although I didn't try very hard after trying 3 different coated bullet brands that leaded severely and made shotgun patterns. It didn't shoot 147 HST worth a shit or 124 jacketed Precision Deltas. I mostly shoot coated 124 gr. for reduced cost reloading. I moved on but still have the gun. It has some nice features but it's ammo sensitive. If I get bored some day I might put an Apex barrel in it.

Site Supporter
    I’m still trying to decide. This is my first polymer gun. The only other guns I have to compare my 2.0 to are triggered-up 1911s and a P229. So I’m not sure if it’s inaccurate or if the others are more accurate because of their triggers or I just am more familiar with them. Below is a five rnd at 10 m to the top R triangle and the two groups at the bottom L triangle point is at 15 m. This was working towards a zero for my dot. After reading the above, he may be on to something. I’m almost solely shooting 125 gr coated lead. 124 nato is way more accurate and both speer and HST hollow points are even more accurate.
    Name:  616F352F-E839-44B6-A136-98508D9F43AE.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by TOTS; 03-13-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Somewhat adjacent topic, but still relevant: Is there an aftermarket barrel worth considering other than Apex?

I'm building a replacement slide assembly to accommodate a direct milled 509T. Need to pick up a barrel of some kind. Will be a 4.25" 2.0 9mm.

Site Supporter
    My brother has a 2.0 and a few 1.0s with aftermarket barrels that I used to own before giving them to him.

By several orders of magnitude, the guns with aftermarket barrels show significantly better accuracy.

The 2.0 that he has is quite inaccurate across multiple loads. He'll likely end up with an aftermarket barrel for that one too.

As for barrels that aren't Apex, the KKM he has is exceptionally accurate.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Is reliability with aftermarket barrels any different than with the factory barrel?

Site Supporter
    All this data frustrates me as, when researching, all the anecdotes I came across seemed to go contrary to this thread. Specifically, info from folks like David from @THeHumbleMarksman (a pretty straight shooter, review-wise) in his comparison video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNUnUICKbQ (5:30 mark) where the accuracy was something he touted and even swayed his pick at the end. He’s not the only one saying good things, either.

User Tag List