Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 2.0 Accuracy on current production models

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anecdotally, I believe the 4.25 may be a bit more accurate than a 5 inch. For iron sight use, the extra sight radius of the 5 might offset the possible accuracy gain of the 4.25, but with a dot I find 4.25-4.6 ideal for how the slide tracks and general comfort carrying. Especially if you use a TLR-7, where if you use an X-300, then the 5 inch is no disadvantage in holster length.

Lots of pros and cons, that gets down to them both being reasonable choices. For USPSA Carry Optics, I prefer 5 inch with an Apex barrel, but prefer for EDC the 4 or 4.25. Given the choice, I would rather have a direct milled slide than the CORE system and factory BUIS.
    I’d probably end up with two guns. A compact with tlr7 for concealed, and either the 4.25 or 5 with an X300 in the duty holster. Both guns would be with a dot, and would not be allowed to have an apex barrel per policy. I’ll go try to shoot both. The big benefit is I could probably squeeze the 4.25 into my concealed and overt roles until I buy a second gun.

The LE-only Acro direct mount SKU is the 4.25” and comes with not too sharp buis. I’m waiting on Strohman to get me an Acro before putting rounds down range so I can’t speak to accuracy potential. Dry-fire is encouraging compared to the older rounded/hinged trigger shoe.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Calling GJM to the thread

Alright, here are the results of my super non-scientific, eye-straining testing. I tried at 25 yards but my eyes were straining too hard and couldn't focus properly. This testing makes me glad I'm making the switch to optics. Anyway, here are some notes...
    • The Metal surprised me a bit because I figured the sights would be a combat hold like other stock M&P's but it was hitting high. With the second set of 5 shots, I adjusted and used a 6-o'clock hold and got a much better group
    • Possibly a placebo, but removing the safety detent from the sear-housing block improved the feel of Timney trigger a bit
    • The 5" Apex groups were a bit more controlled whereas the OEM 5" barrel spread out randomly between every shot exactly as i remembered. No shots back-to-back ever touched with the OEM barrel @ 20 yards
    • The 4.25" Apex barrel is much more accurate than the 5" but it also has a tighter fit
    • The 4.25" OEM barrel spread vertically between every shot as i also remembered. The Metal does this as well but to a lesser degree according to the 2nd set of 5 shots.
    • Prior to the test, I did fire 400 rounds doing various drills with various guns. I started getting shakey midway through the testing (no breaks were taken). I regrettably should've done the test first
    • Flyers are my fault as noted, but I question the top shot on the PDP target and the 2 shots above the Apex 4.25" flyer. They didnt feel like I pulled the shots but as I mentioned I was a little shakey (no breaks were taken)
    • Because of my eyes mutiny at distance, I decided to use 6 of the mini-targets at 10 yards to not only give my eyes a break, but to see how I shoot everything at 10 yards with a bigger index point

I will have to repeat the 10 shots with the M&P Metal some other time using the same ammo simply because of the sights using a 6-o'clock hold. It'll give a better idea of how I shoot it compared with everything else.

Last edited by coN; 03-02-2023 at 11:57 PM.

DOUBLE POST

And finally, a pic of 5 competing M&P models (Metal uses 2nd set) with their 5-shot groups to give a very rough idea how they shoot in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by coN View Post
    DOUBLE POST

And finally, a pic of 5 competing M&P models (Metal uses 2nd set) with their 5-shot groups to give a very rough idea how they shoot in my hands.
    Are the Apex barrels drop in or gunsmith fit? I may be missing something, but the various guns seem to, more or less, shoot similarly? Would love to see a few Gen 5 Glock 19 groups for reference.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

They are semi-fit barrels. All the guns/barrels seem to shoot similarly from this small set of testing overall, but i blame myself for not doing this testing first thing as (looking at previous results from range outings) I am capable of much more precise groups with the Apex barreled M&Ps. The 4.25" Apex demonstrated this at 20 yards with my first set of five shots, of course minus the one I pulled.

The OEM barrels shot just i remembered, with the 5" in particular scattering (seemingly random) between every shot at distance.

That and paired with the sight picture mistake of the Metal, this will be done again soon because I will need to zero some red dots.

This thread had me a bit concerned. I enjoy shooting steel targets at 20 to 75 yards and wondered if my new M&P 2.0 4.25” would reliably hit at the farther ranges. My Gen5 G17 and G34 don’t have issues hitting 8” and 10” plates at those distances.
    The snow stopped me from setting up steel today, so i decided to sight in the RMR on the M&P for its first time out.
    This is a 5 shot group rested off a Protektor bag at 15 yards with 124 grain target ammo. I’m not a great shot, but feel like this $500 gun is keeping up its end.
    It felt nice to shoot. The grip texture had me locked in. The bladed trigger is much worse than my Glocks though. Gritty pull and indistinct reset.
    I’ll look into Apex and Overwatch.

Name:  IMG_3291.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  34.9 KB
    Last edited by Lunker; 01-11-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Name:  F194ABD6-656E-472E-BBB4-EC8A7D7FF224.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  84.5 KB

This is at 15yd (M&p group on right) one mag of 147gr HST and then 2 or so mags of 115/124gr. I was zeroing the RMR and this includes those shots. This is by no means a slow fire group, and was fired at the same pace as the group on the left (p365x macro). Based on this group, I am probably not going to add an apex barrel.

For reference - LE SKU 4.25 optics ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunker View Post
    This thread had me a bit concerned. I enjoy shooting steel targets at 20 to 75 yards and wondered if my new M&P 2.0 4.25” would reliably hit at the farther ranges. My Gen5 G17 and G34 don’t have issues hitting 8” and 10” plates at those distances.
    The snow stopped me from setting up steel today, so i decided to sight in the RMR on the M&P for its first time out.
    This is a 5 shot group rested off a Protektor bag at 15 yards with 124 grain target ammo. I’m not a great shot, but feel like this $500 gun is keeping up its end.
    It felt nice to shoot. The grip texture had me locked in. The bladed trigger is much worse than my Glocks though. Gritty pull and indistinct reset.
    I’ll look into Apex and Overwatch.

Name:  IMG_3291.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  34.9 KB
    This won't be an issue with the mp9

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    This won't be an issue with the mp9
    I currently own two of the 2.0 M&P pistols: The Spec Series Bullshark Grey kit with the compact and a Metal. I traded a PDP Pro for the compact with a coworker, and I absolutely love the trigger, the aggressive grip stippling, and the accuracy. It impressed me so much that I immediately started looking for a full size. The Metal, just like the Compact, is one hole accurate at 10 yards. The plan is to put a Holosun Comp and the Streamlight 7A on it and use it for duty (admin).

User Tag List