Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Custom IWB sheaths

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts - I'm just getting hip deep into this kydex bending world. But one of the challenge is, to get something right takes several iterations and hours of time. So, for it to be profitable, you need to have a few specific models and volume. Volume has to make up the cost. There is pretty much no profit to be had in bending a one-off knife sheath even at $100/sheath. Not because of materials (although materials aren't cheap either), but because of the labor involved in getting it right.

That said - can you guys give me a general list of the kinds of knives you want a 'Sayoc-style' sheath for? I make no promises, but I can apply some brain power to seeing if there is a way to 'universalize' a sheath of that design flavor.
    I'll make all the Tracker Dan sheaths you want at $100 a pop. They're not difficult or time consuming to make and you certainly don't need several iterations to get it right.

Standard ambi sheath only works for certain blade designs. Retention is the issue. TD / Watson blades, set retention on the quillion bump. AMTAC catches a ridge on the handle. RAT catches a notch in the handle. Blackie Collins catches a divot in the handle. Dynamis is friction fit. Everything else using a TD style sheath is based on some variant of those listed. This is why most makers either won't offer them or only offer them for certain blades.

Surf / Deep sheath is more flexible in fitment as it's friction fit against the handle rather than a true retention sheath. It works best with thinner slab handles or wrapped handles. You can make it work with just about any handle but the trade off is bulkiness.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts - I'm just getting hip deep into this kydex bending world. But one of the challenge is, to get something right takes several iterations and hours of time. So, for it to be profitable, you need to have a few specific models and volume. Volume has to make up the cost. There is pretty much no profit to be had in bending a one-off knife sheath even at $100/sheath. Not because of materials (although materials aren't cheap either), but because of the labor involved in getting it right.

That said - can you guys give me a general list of the kinds of knives you want a 'Sayoc-style' sheath for? I make no promises, but I can apply some brain power to seeing if there is a way to 'universalize' a sheath of that design flavor.
    That's already been done, sort of.

https://gypsyedc.com/sheaths/

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
    I'll make all the Tracker Dan sheaths you want at $100 a pop. They're not difficult or time consuming to make and you certainly don't need several iterations to get it right.

Standard ambi sheath only works for certain blade designs. Retention is the issue. TD / Watson blades, set retention on the quillion bump. AMTAC catches a ridge on the handle. RAT catches a notch in the handle. Blackie Collins catches a divot in the handle. Dynamis is friction fit. Everything else using a TD style sheath is based on some variant of those listed. This is why most makers either won't offer them or only offer them for certain blades.

Surf / Deep sheath is more flexible in fitment as it's friction fit against the handle rather than a true retention sheath. It works best with thinner slab handles or wrapped handles. You can make it work with just about any handle but the trade off is bulkiness.
    That seems like a fair price to me. There are a lot of small edc knives that I like but if I can’t carry them in comfort with a sheath that works within my ecosystem then it’s not much good to me.

Where do I sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    That seems like a fair price to me. There are a lot of small edc knives that I like but if I can’t carry them in comfort with a sheath that works within my ecosystem then it’s not much good to me.

Where do I sign up?
    I am also interested. Just ordered a cold steel braveheart off eBay.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

User Tag List