Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grills Smokers and accessories

Grills Smokers and accessories

Weve got a good thread going about smoking but nothing specifically about equipment.
    I just sold my Camp Chef Woodwind. I bought it after I decided charcoal was too big of a hassle. While the pellet smoker was easier it couldnt compare to charcoal or wood.
    Im on a quest for a smoker bigger than my Weber kettle. I want to infrequently smoke the essentials, chuck and butts, for freezing. I want decent quantities as I put smoked meat in everything. I also need to be able to smoke for 11 adults plus kids. I like chunks of meat that look like black meteorites.
    I like easy no fuss temp control even if it means I have to buy a controller and fan.
    I like to be able to smoke in any temp without piling towels over the smoker as insulation during cold weather. To me if the smoker has to work extra hard to keep temps up during cold weather the meat seems to get drier.,
    Charcoal is a must if it could use wood also that would be a plus.
    Id really like a 9-10 hour smoke without refilling charcoal but 8 hours would work.
    If it can also grill thats a plus but not a requirement.
    So…do you have any recommendations?
    Last edited by UNK; 11-02-2023 at 11:08 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Masterbuilt® Gravity Series® 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

I'm a stick burner and I have no experience with it. I did look at it before I bought my Horizon 20" Classic Smoker (*Price does not include Freight Charges. Please contact us for shipping estimate.) — Horizon Smokers (horizonbbqsmokers.com) I was looking for a replacement for my original Oklahoma Joes, pre Charbroil model. Having a controller is the easy button but not having a big area for direct cooking and searing was a no go.

I enjoy the process just as much as the finished results. I did have to build a covered smoking deck because I have a couple of failures due to rain. I have no trouble with temp control otherwise.

Thanks for the input.That seems to have it all in one. Ive always read the offsets were hard to control. I ran across this article that might be interesting to you. https://smokinghotconfessions.com/wh...nge-your-life/
    What led you to this particular brand? Did you get the offset weights for the lid?
    My experience with the weber is it needs to be protected from the elements. Sun, cold or rain have a real negative effect. I smoke on an uncovered deck I run a tarp from the gutter to the railing. Some real beverly hillbilly action. In the winter Ive got a stack of towels I use to cover the lid. I bought the insulated cover for the Camp Chef it makes a difference in pellet usage. Same thing with the weber. If fuel use goes down less airflow and less chance of dryer meat. Thats my theory anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Masterbuilt® Gravity Series® 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

I'm a stick burner and I have no experience with it. I did look at it before I bought my Horizon 20" Classic Smoker (*Price does not include Freight Charges. Please contact us for shipping estimate.) — Horizon Smokers (horizonbbqsmokers.com) I was looking for a replacement for my original Oklahoma Joes, pre Charbroil model. Having a controller is the easy button but not having a big area for direct cooking and searing was a no go.

I enjoy the process just as much as the finished results. I did have to build a covered smoking deck because I have a couple of failures due to rain. I have no trouble with temp control otherwise.

Big Green Egg is what you want. It's a perfect match for you requirements.

For accessories they are almost endless. Tables (sometines called "nests") adjustable grilling setups, ash control, it goes on and on.

Accessories Here

I have a large and it is a lifestyle for some, but I'm like you, I just like smoked and grilled meats and this does it all. Long low & slows, crazy high searing, and even pizza and cobblers. There are tons of good ideas on a myriad of FB groups and forums. I sold a high end Cookshack electric smoker because I wanted to grill too and was space constrained. I don't regret it a bit.

Cooking for 11 adults is doable on a large but with an XL it will be easier to accomplish. My longest smoke was a brisket on my large and I had charcoal left over. 15 hours long...

Name:  IMG_0715.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  33.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Thanks for the input.That seems to have it all in one. Ive always read the offsets were hard to control. I ran across this article that might be interesting to you. https://smokinghotconfessions.com/wh...nge-your-life/
    What led you to this particular brand? Did you get the offset weights for the lid?
    My experience with the weber is it needs to be protected from the elements. Sun, cold or rain have a real negative effect. I smoke on an uncovered deck I run a tarp from the gutter to the railing. Some real beverly hillbilly action. In the winter Ive got a stack of towels I use to cover the lid. I bought the insulated cover for the Camp Chef it makes a difference in pellet usage. Same thing with the weber. If fuel use goes down less airflow and less chance of dryer meat. Thats my theory anyway.

I'm just a hobbyist.

I had an original Oklahoma Joes offset, if memory serves me, it lasted 18 years before rusting out. Sometime during those years Ok Joes sold out to Charbroil and quality and design changed some. Looking for similar quality of the old led me to Horizon. Horizon was started by one of the original partner s OK Joes, check out Our Story on the website. I think I will have to leave the Horizon in my will.

I did not get the counterweight. The lid is heavy and most of the time I can tolerate not having it but there are times a quietly curse.

Learning heat control isn't hard and the Horizon is easier than the old OK. I start my fire in the fire box to heat up all that steel and yes I use lighter fluid with Kingsford charcoal. Once that gets right I will add my smoking wood and let that get going. When I get good smoke, I'll dial in my dampers and vent and let the temp settle to where I want it then add the meat. From there it's all about timing, when to add sticks and how many, when to start a chimney of charcoal. Experience is the best teacher for this. A Bluetooth speaker, beverage of choice and a cigar or 2 brings the enjoyment up a few notches. I do cut my own hickory and oak, I have to buy mesquite and cherry, the bags from Lowes or Home Depot work pretty good. I've had to split a few chunks down to size is my only gripe. I did get a piece of plate steel to make a heat diffuser instead of buying one from the factory and it helps some.

I have had rain crash a cooking a time or 2. Ambiant temperature really doesn't affect the cooking temps. I don't know if it's a volume thing or just the mass of steel that's there. I have looked into an insulation blanket and came to an understanding that they are more for the pellet smokers because they don't produce a lot of heat to begin with.

If I was a competition guy I would look into all of the tricks and hacks. When I got the OK there were guys putting gaskets and latches on the lids to keep the smoke in. I just make more bigger smoke.

I have never had anything come out inedible but there has been some chewy brisket and dry ribs a time or three.

Ive looked at a lot of smokers but never that one. Could you smoke an entire chuck cut into 3” roast on that? How many butts could you get on there at one time?
    Now that you mention it I recall @JodyH was a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Big Green Egg is what you want. It's a perfect match for you requirements.

For accessories they are almost endless. Tables (sometines called "nests") adjustable grilling setups, ash control, it goes on and on.

Accessories Here

I have a large and it is a lifestyle for some, but I'm like you, I just like smoked and grilled meats and this does it all. Long low & slows, crazy high searing, and even pizza and cobblers. There are tons of good ideas on a myriad of FB groups and forums. I sold a high end Cookshack electric smoker because I wanted to grill too and was space constrained. I don't regret it a bit.

Cooking for 11 adults is doable on a large but with an XL it will be easier to accomplish. My longest smoke was a brisket on my large and I had charcoal left over. 15 hours long...

Name:  IMG_0715.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  33.3 KB

Ive looked at a lot of smokers but never that one. Could you smoke an entire chuck cut into 3” roast on that? How many butts could you get on there at one time?
    Now that you mention it I recall @JodyH was a big fan.
    You could easily get 4 and possibly 6 pork butt roasts in it with just an Adjustable Rig R&B from the Ceramic Grill Store, but it would definitely be tight with 6. This one.

I have that and also the Extender which makes cooking on both levels a bit easier.

I have 2 levels to cook on plus the lower position for a drip pan (which you definitely want for almost all smoking cooks on a BGE). I have the oval stone that comes the adjustable rig, so that takes up the lowest level if indirect cooking leaving you with two levels to cook on (I put the oval stone on and the drip pan goes directly on the oval stone, taking up the lowest level). If you used the BGE convector and you could possibly use all 3 levels for cooking, you could put a whole bunch of butt in a large BGE. You might could put a drip pan below the lower 3rd grid level directly on the BGE convector stone, but I've not tried that, so can't confirm that. You gotta have something and definitely don't want all that grease running down into your charcoal or ceramic. I've seen pics of people putting each butt in a disposable aluminum pan and stuffing them in too.

Lots of different ways to rig it up and that Adjustable Rig is the most versatile setup I've seen. Since I've bought mine BGE is offering their own version of it and it has some merits, but it seems the CGS model still wins out. Both are quality builds out of heavy stainless and will last for many years.

ETA: I'm pretty sure you could do a whole chuck. I've done whole packer trim briskets in mine many times. Sometimes I have to fold part of the flat under if they are really large, but it doesn't hurt anything at all. IIRC, the cooking grid is 18" or 19" in diameter.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 11-03-2023 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks for the info. Ive been watching vids on you tube. So far the biggest disadvantage Ive deen is if you need to add more charcoal. It doesnt hurt that there are several bge’s for sale locally on facebook marketplace.
    You could easily get 4 and possibly 6 pork butt roasts in it with just an Adjustable Rig R&B from the Ceramic Grill Store, but it would definitely be tight with 6. This one.

I have that and also the Extender which makes cooking on both levels a bit easier.

I have 2 levels to cook on plus the lower position for a drip pan (which you definitely want for almost all smoking cooks on a BGE). I have the oval stone that comes the adjustable rig, so that takes up the lowest level if indirect cooking leaving you with two levels to cook on (I put the oval stone on and the drip pan goes directly on the oval stone, taking up the lowest level). If you used the BGE convector and you could possibly use all 3 levels for cooking, you could put a whole bunch of butt in a large BGE. You might could put a drip pan below the lower 3rd grid level directly on the BGE convector stone, but I've not tried that, so can't confirm that. You gotta have something and definitely don't want all that grease running down into your charcoal or ceramic. I've seen pics of people putting each butt in a disposable aluminum pan and stuffing them in too.

Lots of different ways to rig it up and that Adjustable Rig is the most versatile setup I've seen. Since I've bought mine BGE is offering their own version of it and it has some merits, but it seems the CGS model still wins out. Both are quality builds out of heavy stainless and will last for many years.

ETA: I'm pretty sure you could do a whole chuck. I've done whole packer trim briskets in mine many times. Sometimes I have to fold part of the flat under if they are really large, but it doesn't hurt anything at all. IIRC, the cooking grid is 18" or 19" in diameter.

Thanks for the info. Ive been watching vids on you tube. So far the biggest disadvantage Ive deen is if you need to add more charcoal. It doesnt hurt that there are several bge’s for sale locally on facebook marketplace.
    I've never had to add lump during a cook. I generally start with it filled all the with up to the top of the fire ring. I can generally get 3 cooks out of a full load, or 2 cooks if the first one is a long smoke. I grill more than I do actual low and slow smokes. There's no reason to dump unused lump charcoal, just top off for the next cook if you need to and motor on with it the next time.

What was the learning curve to hit 225 for low and slow. From what Ive read it takes a long time to get it to cool down.
    Does being in full sun have mych effect on temp control?

I've never had to add lump during a cook. I generally start with it filled all the with up to the top of the fire ring. I can generally get 3 cooks out of a full load, or 2 cooks if the first one is a long smoke. I grill more than I do actual low and slow smokes. There's no reason to dump unused lump charcoal, just top off for the next cook if you need to and motor on with it the next time.

User Tag List