Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a SCAR 16

Setting up a SCAR 16

I just picked up one in FDE, with the new non reciprocating charging handle.

Shot it today with the new Aimpoint RDS, and got a rough zero at 40 yards, which was the depth of the pistol bay I was in. Seemed very soft shooting. When I pushed it, the dot went up and right more than I expected, but I didn't have time to work on grip and stance.

Looking for recommendations for setting up in a streamlined way. Probably a Surefire scout light and minimalist sling. Are the Parker Mountain QD sockets good? Other thoughts appreciated. Trigger seems heavy but maybe that is desirable for a defensive carbine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interested to see where this goes. The SCAR is one of those guns that I have zero practical use for, but have always been very interested in; if they had been NRCH, I would likely have never gotten my SR-25 and instead would have a matching set of a 16 and 17 (a 16 CQC just has a certain aesthetic that I dig). What purpose did you pick one up for rather than an AR?

The Geissele Super SCAR is currently in stock, probably worth a gander, since plenty of folks are perfectly happy with an SSA/SD-C for a self-defense carbine. I've heard mixed reviews about the KDG stocks, and how the aluminum stock adapter interacts with the buffer; might be better to just go with the Vltor stock in that case, which appears to be a more functional upgrade anyway. Would definitely consider the KDG MREX M-LOK handguard of the appropriate length to streamline it a bit. Also would consider swapping out the gas port jets if you're going to run it suppressed, tuned to the can you have when using the suppressed setting, though I've also been told that FN will consider your warranty violated if you do suppress it (which makes little sense to me, but I've heard it more than once).

Anyway, since all I know about the SCAR is purely based on reading and none of it practical, I'll leave it to others with actual experience to talk about it, like @Sensei or possibly @Giving Back.

I got it because it folds so nicely, and depending on what happens with AR pistols, it could replace them in the Sprinter. Seemed awfully soft shooting -- YVK wonders if the NRCH makes a softer shooting SCAR.

I have a pair of legacy 17's with Geissele triggers. Very nice triggers but maybe light for defense. I have always thought a 17 makes a decent deer rifle around bears.

I recently converted the slings on my two heaviest AR's to the SierraTac sling, and I'm quite happy with them. The pad is svelte, and the adjuster is easy to manipulate

Definitely curious to see how this turns out.

The cost was always a barrier, as the longer Mlok handguard, G trigger, and ACR stock that I knew I would want on one of those guns made it tough to pass by an AR of equivalent cost. I have always, otherwise, been impressed with and curious about the design.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I brought the SCAR 16 and an Knight’s SR-15 to the range for some experimentation today. It was on the pistol bay, after our practice session, so ranges were close to 40 yards. My wife and I shot both. The SCAR has the new Aimpoint RDS and the SR-15 has an Eotech., so optics were pretty close.

Both are great shooting guns, but my wife preferred the SCAR. She thought it shot flatter and loves the whole folding package. The SR-15 has a better trigger, and I prefer the Eotech optic, but I really enjoyed shooting the SCAR.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I brought the SCAR 16 and an Knight’s SR-15 to the range for some experimentation today. It was on the pistol bay, after our practice session, so ranges were close to 40 yards. My wife and I shot both. The SCAR has the new Aimpoint RDS and the SR-15 has an Eotech., so optics were pretty close.

Both are great shooting guns, but my wife preferred the SCAR. She thought it shot flatter and loves the whole folding package. The SR-15 has a better trigger, and I prefer the Eotech optic, but I really enjoyed shooting the SCAR.
    I enjoyed shooting my SCAR 16 as well but it was drama to mount various slings, lights, and the quad handguard sorta chewed you up. It was the first rifle I ever purchased, but in the end I think the AR platform just has a lot more going for it and I can't say I miss the SCAR at all. Would not re purchase unless folding stock was an absolute necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I enjoyed shooting my SCAR 16 as well but it was drama to mount various slings, lights, and the quad handguard sorta chewed you up. It was the first rifle I ever purchased, but in the end I think the AR platform just has a lot more going for it and I can't say I miss the SCAR at all. Would not re purchase unless folding stock was an absolute necessity.
    The folding stock was the specific reason I got this SCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The folding stock was the specific reason I got this SCAR.
    What's your opinion on the LAW Tactical side folding adapters for ARs?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    What's your opinion on the LAW Tactical side folding adapters for ARs?
    I have one but it doesn't fold as compactly as the SCAR and the Law adapter is heavy.

User Tag List