Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a SCAR 16

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No special reason. I have two 17's from years ago, never had a 16, YVK had had a 16 for travel, and when the NRCH handle came out, I used a credit I had at a shop for a 16 at a good price.

The ambi mag release interference bugs me -- seems like we need a Tom Jones part like he did for the 1301 to shield it?
    Going off memory, but I think both mag releases depress when you hit one, so if you shim one to disable it you wouldn’t be able to depress the other one. Again that’s from memory, I could be wrong.

What about simply removing it?
    Exploded SCAR parts diagram

The SCAR is a rifle that I have very limited knowledge about and have only shot one once. I found this video from a guy that was part of the T&E process on why it wasn't adopted. I like his videos, I rarely watch any gun related Youtube videos but I like his style.

Thanks for posting this, interesting historical information.

Cliff notes version:

1) they should have involved more shooters earlier in the development process.

2) the reciprocating charging handle was a problem, especially on the 16.

3) initially, there was enough space on the 16, brass could get stuck up in the receiver. Since redesigned.

4) poor quality mags can lead to stoppages.

5) there is a rough spot on the stock that can abrade left hand shooters.

6) the bottom rail gets hot quickly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Following with interest. I always had a soft spot for the SCAR platform. With the nonreciprocating charging handle change, I might actually get one.

At Battlefield Vegas (or what ever it is called) I took my 9yo to shoot the mini-gun and while waiting asked about shit that breaks.

According to staff AK's were not as durable as people think. AR's were more durable than people think. Mossy and Rem pump shotguns broke in a few days. Benelli shotguns were tanks. And the SCAR 16 was by far the most durable battle rife by a margin of multiples. (The staff all owned a M4 variant for personal battle rifles FWIW)

They just feel wonky next to a M4 to me....but they fold in the correct place. And can fire like that.

This may be stretching the limits of staying on-topic, but it appears that there are stripped SCAR receivers available for purchase.

Stripped SCAR Receivers

If anyone is feeling burned-out on AR builds, these could be the next step. The difficult part, of course, will be sourcing parts, assuming that it’s a from-scratch build, as opposed to starting off with a donor rifle.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Think I am pretty close to done, just waiting for Tango Down rail covers.

Have an Aimpoint RDS, stock BUIS, Parker Machine QD attachments, a Surefire dual fuel Scout, and a Magpul sling and grip (modified by PMM). Trying to keep it trim and lightweight.

Name:  6429DDB8-8574-4730-96F2-C83FBF33E1E9.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  33.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Think I am pretty close to done, just waiting for Tango Down rail covers.

Have an Aimpoint RDS, stock BUIS, Parker Machine QD attachments, a Surefire dual fuel Scout, and a Magpul sling and grip (modified by PMM). Trying to keep it trim and lightweight.

Name:  6429DDB8-8574-4730-96F2-C83FBF33E1E9.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  33.9 KB
    You forgot the most important accessory - a tactical ranger band on the stock, to keep the sling stowed !

I also don't like TD rail covers because they stick out a bit from the rail, unless that's what you like. I tend to stick with whatever Chinesium ladder covers are cheapest on ebay.

Here is one of mine:

10” CQC setup with Aimpoint micro, Surefire Scout, DBAL-C
    Name:  SCAR 16S #4.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  62.3 KB
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List