Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme park essentials

Theme park essentials

Next week I'm taking the 8yo to Disney in CA for the first time. I haven't been there since I was a teen. What supplies would be considered essential (safety, security, medical, comfort, etc)? I'm planning on taking a medium sized sling pack to carry the needs of my wife, son, and me. I can upsize this, but I'd prefer not to carry a backpack

Any thoughts on self-defense tools i can take into the park?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Next week I'm taking the 8yo to Disney in CA for the first time. I haven't been there since I was a teen. What supplies would be considered essential (safety, security, medical, comfort, etc)? I'm planning on taking a medium sized sling pack to carry the needs of my wife, son, and me. I can upsize this, but I'd prefer not to carry a backpack

Any thoughts on self-defense tools i can take into the park?
    I have never been to Disney CA, only Disney FL. I am LE and have Concealed a gun in the park before. Searches at the gate were random. I walked through without being stopped, while my then pregnant daughter was stopped and searched. They were fully searching perhaps one in four people.

Now, if I were not in LE, I would not risk an arrest with a gun. A small knife and OC seems like a plan. If found, you could simply toss it in the trash. But I am not familiar with CA law, so someone else may want to chime in.

For non cool guy/tough guy stuff to take?
    1) Sun block and mosquito spray, you can get tiny travel size bottles at Target or Walmart.
    2) Some Tylenol, and Imodium/Pepto pills. Would suck to get the trots at Disney.
    3) A portable cell phone battery and charging cord… You take enough pics, or use fast pass, and you can eat a battery there.
    4) disposable rain ponchos. The pocket size plastic ponchos are like a dollar. Throw a couple in your bag, trash them once the sun comes back out.
    5) warmth. This is seasonly dependent. We did Disney FL in December, and it was high 70s daytime, but man did the temp drop when the sun went down. Like to the low 50s in about an hour.
    6) COMFY SHOES. Kids and ladies seem to want to look “cute”, not comfortable. I see kids wearing flip flops, and the parents expect them to walk 5 plus miles…. Put your parental slap down on the kids, and make them wear goos sneakers and socks. (On that note, a few bandaids in case of blisters can’t hurt.)
    7) you said no back pack… but you and your family will want a few souvenirs. An empty back pack in the morning will be a full back pack by the end of the day. And it beats carrying everything by hand.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

If your kids don’t have cell phones with Find Friends, I would put an AirTag on each child. Losing a 3 year old girl in Injun Joe’s Cave is really stressful.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have never been to Disney CA, only Disney FL. I am LE and have Concealed a gun in the park before. Searches at the gate were random. I walked through without being stopped, while my then pregnant daughter was stopped and searched. They were fully searching perhaps one in four people.

Now, if I were not in LE, I would not risk an arrest with a gun. A small knife and OC seems like a plan. If found, you could simply toss it in the trash. But I am not familiar with CA law, so someone else may want to chime in.

For non cool guy/tough guy stuff to take?
    1) Sun block and mosquito spray, you can get tiny travel size bottles at Target or Walmart.
    2) Some Tylenol, and Imodium/Pepto pills. Would suck to get the trots at Disney.
    3) A portable cell phone battery and charging cord… You take enough pics, or use fast pass, and you can eat a battery there.
    4) disposable rain ponchos. The pocket size plastic ponchos are like a dollar. Throw a couple in your bag, trash them once the sun comes back out.
    5) warmth. This is seasonly dependent. We did Disney FL in December, and it was high 70s daytime, but man did the temp drop when the sun went down. Like to the low 50s in about an hour.
    6) COMFY SHOES. Kids and ladies seem to want to look “cute”, not comfortable. I see kids wearing flip flops, and the parents expect them to walk 5 plus miles…. Put your parental slap down on the kids, and make them wear goos sneakers and socks. (On that note, a few bandaids in case of blisters can’t hurt.)
    7) you said no back pack… but you and your family will want a few souvenirs. An empty back pack in the morning will be a full back pack by the end of the day. And it beats carrying everything by hand.

I've got most of it covered. and I've already got #1-6 addressed, I'll reconsider #7, but I'm trying to use the same sling bag for the rest of LA, and a couple days in SF. I really hate packs so I'll reassess what I can tolerate.

Can I fly with a Sabre Gel Spray? that's currently what I have

I'm debating if I take my Med kit that i keep in my go-bag/car with me. We will have a total of six adults and three 8yo. I'll probably take the BFG mini trauma kit NOW, off my training belt and throw it on my hip. I have regular and kids' TQ too.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If your kids don’t have cell phones with Find Friends, I would put an AirTag on each child. Losing a 3 year old girl in Injun Joe’s Cave is really stressful.

I bought and activated a cellular apple watch for him last week. he can call and text, but I'm not sure how good the GPS will perform

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've got most of it covered. and I've already got #1-6 addressed, I'll reconsider #7, but I'm trying to use the same sling bag for the rest of LA, and a couple days in SF. I really hate packs so I'll reassess what I can tolerate.

Can I fly with a Sabre Gel Spray? that's currently what I have

I'm debating if I take my Med kit that i keep in my go-bag/car with me. We will have a total of six adults and three 8yo. I'll probably take the BFG mini trauma kit NOW, off my training belt and throw it on my hip. I have regular and kids' TQ too.
    You can not fly with OC spray. The air is recirculated in the cabin. As LEO, I have to put it in checked baggage, and I double bag it in two zip lock baggies. Don’t want to gas my undies. You can most likely put it in checked baggage. If TSA finds it, they will throw in the trash… Again, check local laws.

As far as major trauma and first aid, I would think Disney would be on the spot if someone is hurt. They don’t want bad press. Full trauma kit is a lot to tote on a fun day. But do what you need to.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Full trauma kit is a lot to tote on a fun day.
    This is my thought, too. thanks

Has it been a bit since you went to Disney World? Because when I was there in November 2021, they ran everyone through the metal detector now. It was random when when I was there in 2018 and got picked about half the time. It’s sensitive enough to catch my wallet badge, I wouldn’t try a knife or gun. Ive been told they don’t even let off duty LE carry in the parks. I usually leave mine in the hotel safe for the duration of my stay. There are normally Orange County Deputies around the entrances and inside Epcot at night.

I would imagine CA would be at least as bad, since that’s not the free state Florida is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Has it been a bit since you went to Disney World? Because when I was there in November 2021, they ran everyone through the metal detector now. It was random when when I was there in 2018 and got picked about half the time. It’s sensitive enough to catch my wallet badge, I wouldn’t try a knife or gun. Ive been told they don’t even let off duty LE carry in the parks. I usually leave mine in the hotel safe for the duration of my stay. There are normally Orange County Deputies around the entrances and inside Epcot at night.

I would imagine CA would be at least as bad, since that’s not the free state Florida is.
    Yeah, Dec 2016 was my last trip. Now that my grandson is older, we are planning to return in January for his 6th Bday.
    Guess I am not packing inside this time. I hate leaving things in the hotel to get stolen….

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Disney don't care about no stinking badges. It will NOT get you in with a gun. Knowing this, I left the roscoe in the hotel safe last time we were there. Still got singled out for extra screening after the metal detector. I watched them for a bit, and it actually seemed like they were LOOKING for off duty cops. Singling out young, clean cut looking guys for the extra look-see. Knives, OC....anything even 'defensive' in nature is a no go.

User Tag List