Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASP 10 Round Dot Assessment. (Dot Torture short course)

Draw/up and fire 2 shots at dot 1
    Draw/up and fire 1 shot at dot 2. Repeat.
    Draw/up and fire 1 shot at dot 3, one shot at dot 4.
    Draw/up and fire 1 shot at dot 5 dominant hand only.
    Draw/up and fire 1 shot at dot 6, support hand only.
    Draw/up and fire 1 shot at dot 7, reload, 1 shot at dot 8.

If zero time pressure and perverted to such.
    It becomes:
    Shoot 8 shots to a 2” dot freestyle.
    Shoot 1 SHO, 1 WHO.

I’d rather have someone spend 10 min dry firing draws and reloads and then go shoot the 8-1-1 drill in 3 minutes than take 13 minutes doing zero pressure untimed draws and reloads.

Again, I’m offering my wife up as an example of what efficient training looks like.

She does NOT like guns and does NOT care to practice or think about them.

So every second I could get her to set aside for shooting I made the most of.

She has more ability than a lot of folks with lots more time set aside.

This was the last range session prior.

We did timed but no par. I just told her times and she pushed as far as she felt comfortable.

She got a lot faster during the session with the accurate feedback of time.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @gringop

Is shooting at untimed 25 yard B8s as useful as shooting the Pressburg No Fail where you have to put 10 rounds in the black with each draw and single shot being within a 3.5 second par?

If people like accuracy for accuracy sake, fine. Shoot the B8 untimed. That’s valid.

But the draw and reload stuff just wastes time training if you don’t care about that.

If you do care about the draw and reload, practice that timed at home in dry.

Trying to do it both ways just wastes time and burns in bad habits. You’ll never willfully do a slow draw in a self defense situation, why add that muscle confusion to the drill if the goal is just pure accuracy.

I don’t think you’ll listen, but my issue with Dot Torture untimed is that it’s inefficient and can burn in bad habits if you don’t have an internal timer.

Just shoot dots and then go do a bunch of draws separately. But don’t confuse draw mechanics with a pure accuracy drill.
    I wish I could like that again...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @gringop

Is shooting at untimed 25 yard B8s as useful as shooting the Pressburg No Fail where you have to put 10 rounds in the black with each draw and single shot being within a 3.5 second par?

If people like accuracy for accuracy sake, fine. Shoot the B8 untimed. That’s valid.

But the draw and reload stuff just wastes time training if you don’t care about that.

If you do care about the draw and reload, practice that timed at home in dry.

Trying to do it both ways just wastes time and burns in bad habits. You’ll never willfully do a slow draw in a self defense situation, why add that muscle confusion to the drill if the goal is just pure accuracy.

I don’t think you’ll listen, but my issue with Dot Torture untimed is that it’s inefficient and can burn in bad habits if you don’t have an internal timer.

Just shoot dots and then go do a bunch of draws separately. But don’t confuse draw mechanics with a pure accuracy drill.
    The only nit I would pick in this would be to add in a “reactive self defense situation.” There’s a time where during either a discrete draw or proactive draw where I think that slowing down a bit to ensure a good grip would be good time management.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 03-10-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The only nit I would pick in this would be to add in a “reactive self defense situation.” There’s a time where during either a discrete draw or proactive draw where I think that slowing down a bit to ensure a good grip would be good time management.
    Yes, sorry. Agreed on the clarifying statement.

I’m a big fan of the BBI pocket revolver (which is what I carry 99% of the time for that reason).

I did it today when I had a few extra minutes.

Was freezing cold and I didn’t lollygag but didn’t try to race the clock. I cleaned it at 3yrds in about 40 seconds I think.

Feels weird going to the range for a minute and only shooting 10rnds….

User Tag List