Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How People Lost Random Encounter Gun Fights

Superb thread. Thank you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Very interesting information. Can you give us a rough percentage breakdown of the 4 issues ? Which one was most prevalent, second third and fourth? If multiple what percentage were multiple? How about long gun use vs handgun?

Since these incidents were mostly cases worked by you or direct co-worker can you elaborate on the environment without giving up your own privacy? i.e. size of city,village,town, make up of populace and income/crime of the area.

You mention some factors not considered and a great follow up someday would be mindset and environmental factors in how they played a part in the outcomes. Such as good or bad areas for crime, day, night or early morning assaults, violations of John Farham's rules of stupid, etc... Your comment on willingness got me thinking of this specifically.

Thanks for posting your synopsis of encounters.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Very interesting information. Can you give us a rough percentage breakdown of the 4 issues ? Which one was most prevalent, second third and fourth? If multiple what percentage were multiple? How about long gun use vs handgun?

Since these incidents were mostly cases worked by you or direct co-worker can you elaborate on the environment without giving up your own privacy? i.e. size of city,village,town, make up of populace and income/crime of the area.

You mention some factors not considered and a great follow up someday would be mindset and environmental factors in how they played a part in the outcomes. Such as good or bad areas for crime, day, night or early morning assaults, violations of John Farham's rules of stupid, etc... Your comment on willingness got me thinking of this specifically.

Thanks for posting your synopsis of encounters.
    I really don't want to get that deep into the weeds as far as the breakdown at this point. I intend to eventually publish something more in depth for those who are interested, but I've been dragging my feet.

Location is one of the larger midwestern population centers, good mix of suburbs, inner city, entertainment districts, tourist draws, etc.

The vast majority, but not all, could have been avoided by the stupid places/people sort of rules. A non-zero number were just wrong place/wrong time, though. Keep in mind these numbers only include those who attempted to fight back, though. Victim unaware, victim compliant, victim attempted to flee, etc. are not included.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    One interesting thing that I have anecdotally noted in my cases, (specifically random and domestic violence, not targeted) is that a very common preceding statement to someone getting shot (and in my case, dying) is some variation of "You're not going to shoot me!" Frequently accompanied by insults.

Since this is in the mindset/tactics, I thought it was worth pointing out (albeit it's somewhat obvious) that insulting the assailant/impugning their willingness to shoot, seems to result in getting shot.

BBI, do you have any statistics on this phenomenon? I don't. Too many cases, too muddled in my head...etc...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    One interesting thing that I have anecdotally noted in my cases, (specifically random and domestic violence, not targeted) is that a very common preceding statement to someone getting shot (and in my case, dying) is some variation of "You're not going to shoot me!" Frequently accompanied by insults.

Since this is in the mindset/tactics, I thought it was worth pointing out (albeit it's somewhat obvious) that insulting the assailant/impugning their willingness to shoot, seems to result in getting shot.

BBI, do you have any statistics on this phenomenon? I don't. Too many cases, too muddled in my head...etc...
    I don't have any firm statistics, nothing I've tracked. Anecdotally, it seems most common in non-intimate partner domestics (ie, siblings, adult children vs parents, etc) and fairly frequently in what I think we could consider an 'occupational/environmental hazard' of membership in certain ongoing criminal enterprises or other groups were 'being hard' is seen as a requirement.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I sincerely appreciate all the efforts here. I have some recollection of Rory Miller, an author, martial artist and career corrections officer writing about challenges/insults being part of the “monkey dance” in human violence situations. No data that I know of, but it would seem reasonable that saying something like, “fuck you, you ain’t gonna shoot” might not be the best tactic.
    OTOH, feigned compliance might be helpful in “buying” time, but certainly not reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I sincerely appreciate all the efforts here. I have some recollection of Rory Miller, an author, martial artist and career corrections officer writing about challenges/insults being part of the “monkey dance” in human violence situations. No data that I know of, but it would seem reasonable that saying something like, “fuck you, you ain’t gonna shoot” might not be the best tactic.
    OTOH, feigned compliance might be helpful in “buying” time, but certainly not reliable.
    The insult/taunt is probably just an outward expression of the inner belief that nothing "that bad" could actually happen to themselves... Most people know they will eventually die but not many actually believe it will happen any time soon.

How People Lost Random Encounter Gun Fights

I’m curious about stats on victims being shot or stabbed after complying.

(I need to reread BBIs chapter)
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

@BehindBlueI’s

Do you have data on how the attackers were armed? I’m guessing all of them were, but I am wondering what rough percentage had a knife, firearm, blunt object, etc.

Seeing threads like this remind me why I am a Site Supporter of this place.

User Tag List