Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help shotgun rookie load a shotgun (870)

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Mystery Solved!

Ok if you’d have told me there was such a thing I’d have thought that surely, it can’t be so.

Introducing a ONE SHOT - hence that tab that was blocking the darn mag tube - pump shotgun... with a Gas System for recoil reduction:

The 870 Competition!

I truly thought I was in the twilight Zone
    Well, slap the dog and spit in the fire! Never knew such a shotgun existed!

Name:  7DB3CCC5-66EE-444D-BDBF-9F354281D1A7.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  23.5 KB

Amazing. I started working in a gun shop that did a lot of trap gun sales (we had a secondary store at the old ATA Grounds in Vandalia) and I don’t ever recall seeing one of these. Worked the Grand National many years and saw all sorts of cool and expensive trap guns, but that’s a new one.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Mystery Solved!

Ok if you’d have told me there was such a thing I’d have thought that surely, it can’t be so.

Introducing a ONE SHOT - hence that tab that was blocking the darn mag tube - pump shotgun... with a Gas System for recoil reduction:

The 870 Competition!

Well I have heard of that model 870 but never seen one in real life. I have friends who are trap shooting fanatics but the sport is mostly with single shot break action shotguns, some running over $10K.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Now a single shot 870... I have been to at least 4 maybe 5 870 armorer classes. The first few were taught by (Lyle... cant think of his last name) who would tell us Remington stories as he used to work the floor.
    Lyle Wheelock (sp?) a true gentleman BTW. I'd venture he knew more about building and fixing 870's than pretty near anyone alive.

Back in the day it used to be that anyone teaching armorer courses had spent considerable time on the floor building the firearm, and also considerable time in warranty repair.

The guys at S&W's Revolver Armorer Courses had the same mastery as Lyle, except on revolvers.

You actually learned stuff.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Lyle Wheelock (sp?) a true gentleman BTW. I'd venture he knew more about building and fixing 870's than pretty near anyone alive.

Back in the day it used to be that anyone teaching armorer courses had spent considerable time on the floor building the firearm, and also considerable time in warranty repair.

The guys at S&W's Revolver Armorer Courses had the same mastery as Lyle, except on revolvers.

You actually learned stuff.
    That's him. I learned a lot from Lyle. His stories about Remington were a great addition to his teachings.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Wonders never cease! May I make the comment about usefulness and how it relates to tits on a boar hog?

Mystery Solved!

The 870 Competition!

That is a very rare 870 variant. The magazine cap that is used to access the recoil system must be kept tight; otherwise, the gun will beat itself to death and crack the receiver. I do not know if any of the recoil system parts or spare barrels can be found. It is worth much more as a collectible than as a shooter. A sale will allow the purchase of a 870 Wingmaster and several cases of shells for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    That's him. I learned a lot from Lyle. His stories about Remington were a great addition to his teachings.
    He definitely had interesting things to say about the direction Big Green has taken in the past 30 years.

I was sent back to the states for both 870 and M24 schools and the sidebar-out of class conversations were as interesting as what was taught in the schools.

Very solid guy and the very epitome of an SME.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Name:  7DB3CCC5-66EE-444D-BDBF-9F354281D1A7.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  23.5 KB

Amazing. I started working in a gun shop that did a lot of trap gun sales (we had a secondary store at the old ATA Grounds in Vandalia) and I don’t ever recall seeing one of these. Worked the Grand National many years and saw all sorts of cool and expensive trap guns, but that’s a new one.
    wow..yeah, and now I'm convinced that my buddy laying this curiosity on the lap of a simple Glock/AR guy like myself was almost akin to animal cruelty

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Wonders never cease! May I make the comment about usefulness and how it relates to tits on a boar hog?
    Well...yeah I'm with you! For someone like me having a shotgun like that would be akin to being stuck in a Potpourri store, both useless and cruel.

My buddy inherited the gun from his Wife's Dad, so I think it may be hard for them to part with it, understandably.

Incidentally, after I tracked down what it was that he had, he was like "oh yeah, it makes total sense now, he was into trap shooting, and liked unique things!" So there you go!

User Tag List