Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Test.

No, that's cool. We're already really well indexed in Google for Shield stuff, so that will only help.

Drop in a APEX sear and go to town for the last portion of the test. Hit up DarkStarGear again or I'll loan you my prototype AIWB rig for the shield and a mag carrier. I'd be more than happy to help you out with support gear (spare mag too if you need it).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

And here I was hoping for a keltec or a hi point carbine.

Just think, you could become the go-to internet expert on shitty guns!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Drop in a APEX sear and go to town for the last portion of the test. Hit up DarkStarGear again or I'll loan you my prototype AIWB rig for the shield and a mag carrier. I'd be more than happy to help you out with support gear (spare mag too if you need it).

I've actually already placed an order with Dark Star.

Sweet always good to start with quality gear.

AKA: SkyLine1

Just checked a message board that rhymes with "pie point forum" and according to them, TC is a limp wristing amateur who has no clue what he's doing. Sorry, but the test is now null and void.

ETA: Tim, if you want a free HP in 40 cal to do another test, hit me up.
    Last edited by F-Trooper05; 10-11-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    TC is a limp wristing amateur who has no clue what he's doing.
    I wrote up a little ditty about the potential risks to life and testicles if one screws up with AIWB carry...and on some website somewhere a dude with a shall we say "checkered" past and a motive to move products he was making money off of called me an "overfed, chain-smoking Cooper worshipper."

He was right about the overfed part. So I fixed it.

I can understand why some folks wouldn't be thrilled with my conclusions...but I was just being honest about the pistol I bought. The issue as I've seen it from the beginning is trying to determine what, exactly, you're getting when you buy one of these things. In my case it was a finicky beast that needed constant attention to get a really pretty miserable reliability record. (It was like owning a 1911...wokka wokka wokka!) I've seen various lamentations that I should have dremeled this bit or that bit, or should have cleaned it and lubricated it "properly" (this despite the fact that the instructions that came with the gun mention nothing about lubrication whatsoever), that I should have bought more magazines (which I did...some seem to think I used the one suspect mag for the whole test. I actually bought two others and never had any problems from the first mag after I put it back together) and even that the reason for the pistol's performance is that I was taking it apart and cleaning it too much.

...of course, I've also had the experience of having someone in a gunstore argue ballistics to me based on The Buick O' Truth. It was something of a bizarre experience to have someone literally arguing that I'm wrong based on something I wrote and making conclusions from it that weren't supported even in the slightest, but it was instructive.

I don't claim that I'm completely unbiased, but I did make every effort to be fair. I compared the Hi-Point to other handguns I've purchased and to the service those handguns offer because, again, I was trying to quantify what exactly the buyer is getting when he/she plunks down their hard earned money for this product. I've based my opinions on what matters in a handgun on lots of money spent buying guns, lots of training in the use of them, and lots more time spent picking the brains of people much smarter than me. My overriding question about the whole thing was this:

"If I had to use this to kill a man intent on killing me, could I do it?"

My answer was, yes...if I did what I needed to do behind the trigger, and if the gun decided to cooperate."

I personally prefer to carry guns that don't make me insert an if in there. There are lots of other pistols that come with an if, too. Like the problematic 4th gen Glocks. Or the M&P's with reset problems or early barrel unlocks. Like the 3rd gen Glock .40's. Like the Sig P250. Etc.

I'm an equal opportunity gorer of oxen...it's just that this time their favorite ox ended up in my sights.

I'm going to test the Shield and where I deliberately tried to be charitable with the Hi-Point, I'm going to be merciless with the Shield because that gun will end up being carried. It had damn well better work. Nobody from Hi-Point was cutting me or Caleb a check for that test, and nobody is cutting me or Caleb a check for the Shield test either. I saw some accusations that Caleb's history with Hi-Point determined the outcome of the test....but in truth Caleb and I barely communicated about the test other than me asking him if it would be a good blog topic and him agreeing. He's exercised zero editorial control over any of it. It was just little ol' me shooting the gun and telling all the folks in internet land what happened.

It's just that what happened didn't necessarily paint the pistol in the best light as a defensive option. It works as a rule 1 gun, but the difficulty in shooting it to my meager standards and in getting it to run reliably limit it to being a rule 1 gun, in my opinion. The Makarov I cited in the conclusion would have some weaknesses as well. Bad trigger, almost vestigial sights...but the difference is that the Makarov works reliably.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 10-11-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Interesting enough the gun on loan to me for making the holster was an older gentlemen's carry gun that was deemed non-functional by his daughter.

"It doesn't work, I can't fire a mag through it, keep it as long as you need"
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I just saw this posted somewhere:

Where does he come up with these jewels of wisdom?
    "I’ll note that if you aren’t cycling through your carry ammo occasionally then you should probably start. You should also avoid re-chambering the same rounds more than a couple of times because of the dangers posed by bullet setback."
    Well...umm...like this:

Originally posted by DocGKR:
    There are numerous well documented incidents where duty ammo that had been repeatedly re-chambered failed to fire--both in training, OIS incidents, and in OCONUS combat.
    I think when a phenomenon is sufficiently well documented that it's been the subject of memos in LE agencies and military units, it's something that's worthy of paying attention to.

...but that could just be my lack of "experience" talking.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    And here I was hoping for a keltec or a hi point carbine.

Just think, you could become the go-to internet expert on shitty guns!
    Hahahaa... I'm not sure having an SME tag for that would be something anyone would want.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

User Tag List