Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P30 versus P30L

P30 versus P30L

At AFHS in ABQ last weekend, a fellow student had a P30L and shot it well. (We were a LEM heavy class, with 2 P30's and a P30L out of eight attending, plus TLG's love for the P30.)

I, unfortunately didn't get a chance to shoot the L, but for those that have, what are the pros and cons of the L versus the P30?

We are diminished
    Different people have different experiences with this, but for me I rarely find long-barrel/slide guns shoot as well as the P30/G19 size guns. I don't really miss the sight radius in terms of accuracy and feel like the shorter slide moves a shorter distance (arc) in recoil. But enough serious shooters pick, e.g., the G34 over a G19 that it's obviously a YMMV type of thing.

The 1/2" doesn't seem like enough to be drastic and seems to be an oddball in the lineup.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I like the P30 for a carry pistol and the P30L as a dedicated "light gun" with a Surefire X300 on it all the time. If I am running a light, I like a longer slide gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Back when I was carrying one, I was slightly more accurate with a P30L than a P30 when shooting slow fire. At speed, I never noticed much of a difference (although I never really paid that close of attention to it). In my opinion if you can live with the extra half an inch, there's no reason not to go with it.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

GJM, as I mentioned to you, I picked a 30L because of the timing / cycle speed. Between the two I really can't tell much difference other than that.

You should have badgered me into trading guns with you for the day. The next time we meet you're more than welcome to shoot it all you like.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

IME with the slightly longer barrel, it seems to "hang" more in recoil and nose dive in recovery. I reviewed some slow motion video of myself shooting and the difference was very clear to me. Granted that was several years ago, and I have improved slightly since then but I could clearly see a benefit to a more balanced gun.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    IME with the slightly longer barrel, it seems to "hang" more in recoil and nose dive in recovery.
    I haven't put as many rounds through mine to be certain, but my limited experience mirrors yours.

I have both and I shot both at AFHF in RI this past August. I don't notice any difference in speed shooting at 3-7 yds nor slow shooting at 25 yds. As a matter of fact, I'm looking to trade my P30L for a P30 if anyone wants to, just to keep 100% consistent on back up parts. FYI I've owned the P30L for 2+ years and the P30 for about a year.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Does anyone with a L feel like the extra sight radius helps with low prob targets, and long range steel? I sure seem to shoot the standard P30 accurately, but a 3.86 inch barrel just seems short.

User Tag List