Thread: The A400 Xtreme plus, and others.

The A400 Xtreme plus, and others.

Since I started shooting more clays and I've found my interest in hunting renewed, I've been looking at my sporting shotguns and wishing they were more like my 1301.

I started reading about the A400s, and they seem great. Specifically the A400 Xtreme Plus. Then, I stumbled across this post when reading up on them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    My wife and I are both shooting Beretta A400 Extreme Pluses for clays and upland birds, turkey, and I would have zero issues for using them for defensive shooting, hogs, or just about anything.
    A big endorsment. My local gun store had an A400 Excel Sporting Edition Black. The kick-off was in the far rear and made the stock feel chincy. It had the older bolt release. The wood was... thin feeling. It seemed cheap despite the $2100 tag. Made me kind of nervous about the Xtreme plus. Then I found out a big chain store had an Xtreme Plus 28" in stock. I made the drive yesterday. The mid stock KO felt far less chincy, the controls perfectly matched my 1301. It felt rock solid, pointed great. I could find no flaw, fault, or negative. Damn good looking gun and felt great. The green magazine follower was great, it's drilled and tapped on the receiver. I like the fiber optic front, the stocks were solid and awesome grip, it uses the same choke pattern as my 1301 and comes with 5 black chokes that are easy to grip and turn. Comes with stuff for drop and cast, and sling swivels. It had it's barrel attached for the first time just for me to examine. It was tight and just overall really solid feeling.

Does anyone else have experience with the A400 Xtreme plus? Specifically with low brass light target loads. I want to try my hand at ducks, and turkey hunting is probably going to happen, but it'll see more clay pigeon time just out of convenience.

Anyone have any experience with other A400 models? I'm aware of the A300 alternatives, but I'm looking at the A400s specifically.
    Last edited by Cory; 03-06-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Since I started shooting more clays and I've found my interest in hunting renewed, I've been looking at my sporting shotguns and wishing they were more like my 1301.

I started reading about the A400s, and they seem great. Specifically the A400 Xtreme Plus. Then, I stumbled across this post when reading up on them here.

A big endorsment. My local gun store had an A400 Excel Sporting Edition Black. The kick-off was in the far rear and made the stock feel chincy. It had the older bolt release. The wood was... thin feeling. It seemed cheap despite the $2100 tag. Made me kind of nervous about the Xtreme plus. Then I found out a big chain store had an Xtreme Plus 28" in stock. I made the drive yesterday. The mid stock KO felt far less chincy, the controls perfectly matched my 1301. It felt rock solid, pointed great. I could find no flaw, fault, or negative. Damn good looking gun and felt great. The green magazine follower was great, it's drilled and tapped on the receiver. I like the fiber optic front, the stocks were solid and awesome grip, it uses the same choke pattern as my 1301 and comes with 5 black chokes that are easy to grip and turn. Comes with stuff for drop and cast, and sling swivels. It had it's barrel attached for the first time just for me to examine. It was tight and just overall really solid feeling.

Does anyone else have experience with the A400 Xtreme plus? Specifically with low brass light target loads. I want to try my hand at ducks, and turkey hunting is probably going to happen, but it'll see more clay pigeon time just out of convenience.

Anyone have any experience with other A400 models? I'm aware of the A300 alternatives, but I'm looking at the A400s specifically.
    I have a buttload of experience with my 391 Xtreama, probably at least 10k, maybe 15k.

You probably do not really need a 3.5" gun but this gives you an option. I think it is like having a 4x4 truck, you might not need it, but know you have it.

Once broken in mine would cycle a 7/8oz reload or a 3.5" monster without adjustment.

Mine is not the kickoff, I think the standard stock probably adjusts down a little shorter, and that is more important to me. Plus it is more expensive and I do not this it is necessary, it is nice with normal shells, anything nasty is going to be low volume anyway. BTW, mine is synthetic and I think that is better with that type of gun.

Mine has been used for trap, skeet, sporting clays, bird hunting and three gun. It is one versatile piece of kit.

I also had a 20g A400 and liked it, the finish on the stock was goofy, looked like plastic wood but was wood, so it sorta looked synthetic without the advantages.

ETA: The 391 is pretty close to the 400, the 300 guns are a bit different. The 400 is an evolutionary upgrade of the 391.

Site Supporter
    I've got more than 35K through an Xcel with Kick off over the last 9 years. No durability issues and with my tweaked neck it's really the only shotgun I can shoot a lot of rounds without getting a headache. I've also got 12 and 20 gauge A400 Xplor Actions both with kick-off and have taken them on a few upland hunts and sporting clays. Just got the new Xcel with the middle of the stock kick-off and it's not nearly as effective as the old model kick-off but if you aren't recoil sensitive it should be fine.
    Adam

User Tag List