Thread: 1911 rebuild

1911 rebuild

Due to an ill-informed first gun purchase I have a Taurus pt1911 in .45 acp. I know some will say sell it, buy a caspian then start the build. That's not going to happen. It was my first pistol purchase and I'm somewhat nostalgic, so it stays.

With that said I've decided to send it off to Alchemy Custom Weaponry, after shooting a couple examples of their work.

My question to you is what would be your must haves for a rebuild/custom 1911? This is mainly going to be used for IDPA CDP and USPSA Single Stack. This is a list of what I have been thinking about:

10-8 flat trigger

bomar style rear adjustable sight and Fiber optic front

cerakote all black

grips - color something like the 10-8 black desert sand or hyena brown. I also like the slim grips with the thumb recess

magwell, this is something I'm struggling with. I know I want one just have no idea what I want. Something that fits in a IDPA and USPSA box, but still wouldn't preclude me from carrying it.

Ambi-thumb safety - need help here

grip safety - need help here

refit slide and frame

Extended "Combat" mag release

Matchgrade bushing and barrel, this is what I'm really struggling with, I realize a bushing is probably a necessity, but I don't know if a barrel is.

I'm assuming this is kind of a default thing but it's important enough to me to mention, boring reliability with factory .230 gr .45 fmj and jhp.

Anything I'm missing? Any suggestions?
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Strip it down to the bare frame and slide then sell all the small parts and barrel.

I had one for a very short while. Paid $400 with the Crimson Trace grips. Took off the CT grips, put the originals back on, and sold the gun for $400. I had shot 4 mags through it and had two light primer strikes which I attribute to their firing pin safety system. I told the guy who purchased it from me and he said that it probably just needed a good cleaning.

If it were my gun, the FPS would be the first thing to be eliminated.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post

magwell, this is something I'm struggling with. I know I want one just have no idea what I want. Something that fits in a IDPA and USPSA box, but still wouldn't preclude me from carrying it.
    chen http://store.chencustom.com/Chen_Magwell_Suite_s/23.htm

wilson or brown. most are actually great if fitted properly.

Wilson bullet proof, no choice. Sadly wilson can't keep up with production. your gonna wait a while unless you find someone willing to part with one. They are milled from gold and frozen unicorn tears.

brown high ride or wilson bp

refit slide and frame
    yep, plus ejector and extractor.

10-8 or wilson or brown

Matchgrade bushing and barrel, this is what I'm really struggling with, I realize a bushing is probably a necessity, but I don't know if a barrel is.
    might as well.

extractor/ejector tuning, lots of fit and finish. throw all your mags out and get ETMs or CMC.

Tripp CobraMags should not be overlooked.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I know this is a sample of one, and has not been shot extensively, but the pistol has 2400 rounds error free.

It's going to be about a 3 month wait I think anyway. He sources all the parts himself, and I believe he has quite a few of the more commonly used parts on hand.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll certainly look into all suggestions.

Acquiring mags is going to be a winter time activity. I sent two 47d's with the pistol.

I also told him to do whatever he thought necessary for boring reliability.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Due to an ill-informed first gun purchase I have a Taurus pt1911 in .45 acp. I know some will say sell it, buy a caspian then start the build. That's not going to happen. It was my first pistol purchase and I'm somewhat nostalgic, so it stays.

With that said I've decided to send it off to Alchemy Custom Weaponry, after shooting a couple examples of their work.

My question to you is what would be your must haves for a rebuild/custom 1911? This is mainly going to be used for IDPA CDP and USPSA Single Stack. This is a list of what I have been thinking about:
    The great thing about 1911's is that you CAN set them up in any which way you like. So, it's your preference, but since you've asked for opinions....

10-8 flat trigger
    Do it.

Adjustable rear sights? Personal preference but I don't really understand why and I personally don't like them. My $.02. Fiber optic front- great idea for an IDPA gun.

cerakote all black

grips - color something like the 10-8 black desert sand or hyena brown. I also like the slim grips with the thumb recess
    Realize that you really need to chose now if you want regular or slim grips.... just chose the size because you'll need different size grip bushings for slim or regular. After you pick the size (for the builder), the grips themselves you can change at any point so it doesn't really matter. The 10-8's are a nice choice though, I do like the huge thumb scoop on the few I've handled.

Kmartphoto recommended the Chen - I have one on a recent build I just picked up, and I LOVE it. Kmartphoto has shot & handled mine in person, and man, that Chen magwell suite is just awesome. Only drawback to it? You have to trim your grips in length a bit to fit with the Chen magwell - so you do lose some of that swap ability that you'd normally have on a 1911.

Wilson BP. Like Kmartphoto said, hard to come by but you've got time if Alchemy doesn't already have a few in their stockpile.

I like the Wilson (got one on my new build), and the Ed Brown. They're both great.

refit slide and frame
    Definitely do this, and check the ejector and plunger tube to make sure they're properly staked.

I'm assuming this is kind of a default thing but it's important enough to me to mention, boring reliability with factory .230 gr .45 fmj and jhp.

[QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    Kmartphoto has shot & handled mine in person
    Well if your ok with outing us on public forum i guess I am too....

10-8 flat trigger

cerakote all black

refit slide and frame

Don't forget to replace the hammer as the PT1911 has that goofy lock crap in there. I'm sure they'll check out all the parts and take a look at them and see what's what, this is the hammer strut in a friend's Taurus

Go ahead and do the a barrel with Kart.

I've inspected three PT1911s and wasn't too thrilled with their barrels

As fore the 10-8 scoop grips, I like them but I had to take a file and some sand paper to the top edge of the scoops, it was doing a number on my support hand.

I agree with NOT going with the adjustable sights. Triijicon is releasing their HD sights for Novak cut 1911s, I'd opt for those. They'll be competition and carry friendly. If not those I've been pretty happy with my Heinie sights.

As for other parts to replace, I'd have all ignition parts if not ALL the small parts including the firing pin safety parts replaced, might as well while the gun is out.

The Wilson BP Ambi in stainless is in stock @ Brownells and that would be my choice as well.

Going back to the grips, I really like the VZ ETCs and 320s in G10.

For mag wells that are still carry friendly and IDPA legal etc I like the Smith and Alexander once piece magwells.

By the way, IDPA in Boone (Saturday) and Waterloo (Sunday) this weekend. If you plan on attending either match let me know.

I'll be in attendance of the Boone match, if it doesn't get rained out.

I'll be the goofy bastard not wearing a vest!

thanks for the input JD and others
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

User Tag List